Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Oil Leak Head Gasket (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/364270-oil-leak-head-gasket.html)

jdawgzcivic 06-13-2015 12:10 PM

Oil Leak Head Gasket

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I had my 2003 Honda Civic LX Coupe serviced and the head gasket was replaced (blue) and sealed. Now, I'm noticing little drip of oil from the
"black" round piece on the picture. What is this part called? How come the dealership did not change this part as well when they installed a new head gasket (blue)?
Will I be able to replace that part myself? or does the entire head gasket need total breakdown again?

Can I also use this "gasket maker" around that "black" round piece to seal it?

I appreciate all feedback and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
JD

ezone 06-13-2015 01:53 PM

Re: Oil Leak Head Gasket

Replace the plug, it's like $9.
Honda part #12513-P72-003

It is not part of a basic head gasket replacement job.

And that blue gasket is the valve cover gasket (or called cylinder head cover gasket), not a head gasket.

jdawgzcivic 06-13-2015 02:48 PM

Awesome. Great to know and I will be able to do it myself without going to dealership?
I also have to use it with the HondaBond Silicone Liquid Gasket?

So for any future leaks, I can use this HondaBond too?

Thanks

ezone 06-13-2015 03:52 PM

Pry the old one out, push the new one in.
It's that simple.

When you pry the old plug out at least one of the plastic hooks will probably snap off, so try to fish out the broken piece(s) if you can.

The plug has an O ring embedded in it, the O ring does the sealing.
Additional sealers aren't necessary but some people like to smear that stuff everywhere. I don't.

HTH

jdawgzcivic 06-13-2015 04:33 PM

Ok, thanks again.
Will the new one come with the "O-ring" as well? or have to order the O-ring separately?

Thanks

ezone 06-13-2015 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by jdawgzcivic (Post 4686849)
Ok, thanks again.
Will the new one come with the "O-ring" as well?

It comes as one piece, O ring is built into the plug.

#6 is the plug:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/.../S5A3E1000.gif

jdawgzcivic 06-13-2015 07:21 PM

Good stuff - appreciate your help.
Thanks again

jdawgzcivic 06-27-2015 02:29 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you very much for your help.
After a week after installing, no more leaks.
Really appreciate your help.
The auto repair place I went to could never fix it and wasted several hundreds and will never go back there again.

Another issue I've been noticing lately is the smell from the AC unit. I changed the cabin filters and also the filter on the engine.When the AC is turned ON, you can smell like dead leaves or this unusual smell blowing out. What else can I change or look for to fix this issue of the smell from the AC?

Thanks again. Appreciate your help.

ezone 06-27-2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jdawgzcivic (Post 4687924)
Another issue I've been noticing lately is the smell from the AC unit. I changed the cabin filters and also the filter on the engine.When the AC is turned ON, you can smell like dead leaves or this unusual smell blowing out. What else can I change or look for to fix this issue of the smell from the AC?

Thanks again. Appreciate your help.

There really could be dead leaves and whatnot in the cowl area at the base of the windshield. This is where the blower draws its fresh air.

alex_nyc 06-28-2015 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by jdawgzcivic (Post 4686844)
Awesome. Great to know and I will be able to do it myself without going to dealership?
Thanks

I need a T-shirt That say that!! :sweet:

..and its Stealership not dealership!!!

ezone 06-28-2015 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by alex_nyc (Post 4687966)

..and its Stealership not dealership!!!

As a dealer tech, I resent that comment.

(I know why the term is used though...Sad but, more often than not, true.)

jdawgzcivic 06-30-2015 05:42 PM

Where can I find or locate these? Is this under the hood? I've tried but not sure what I'm looking for under the glove compartment area?

Thanks

ezone 06-30-2015 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by jdawgzcivic (Post 4688121)
Where can I find or locate these? Is this under the hood? I've tried but not sure what I'm looking for under the glove compartment area?

Thanks

Maybe I should have called it the wiper cowl? It's the area where the wiper linkage and motor are hidden.

If you had to replace the wiper motor, you would have to get into the plastic panels between the hood and windshield. This same large somewhat hollow area is where the blower gets its fresh air.

I assume your smell is mostly when using fresh air, and smells ok when using recirculate?

If it smells bad all the time including when set to recirculate, there are products available to help disinfect the evaporator and HVAC case.