Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   2003 Honda Civic front door power lock (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/363104-2003-honda-civic-front-door-power-lock.html)

CivicGene 03-14-2015 06:05 PM

2003 Honda Civic front door power lock

My wife's civic has a problem where the lock will not turn at all with a key in it on the driver's side (there's no keyless entry), and the power lock button won't lock the front door either. She uses the passenger door to get in and lock the driver's side. The power lock button locks the other 3 doors just fine.

I did do a search, but I'm not super-mechanically inclined, so I'm not sure if what I'm describing sounds more like an actuator or cylinder issue. I'm am super-poor right now though, so I will try to fix it myself, but don't want to buy an actuator if I need something else.

Thank you for your time.

RIPSAW 03-14-2015 06:30 PM

Re: 2003 Honda Civic front door power lock

1 Attachment(s)
Can you manually pull and push down the sliding lock actuator? Put your ear to the door. Plug one ear. Do you here the power actuator thumping as loud as the other doors? Here is your door. I have replace the lock actuator on 3 of my 2005 CRV doors. The small screws were loctited in and you had to reach back in a small opening after you took door panel off. Then it was a lot of wiggle and position of the rod all back in there working with a mirror. Real pain. I've been working on cars for years and have a garage full of tools. However, you could pull the door panel and see if one of the rods plastic ends is broken. You really need to fix this. It is illegal and dangerous to drive a car when a front door will not open. Accidents do happen and fires and all sorts of bad things. Remote but you would have to live with it if it happened. I sure would not let anyone drive it like this.

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.co...oor-locks-scat

ezone 03-14-2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by CivicGene (Post 4680872)
the lock will not turn at all with a key in it on the driver's side

Sounds like it may need a cylinder rebuild or replace. Any dealership should be able to retumble a new sidewinder lock so your original keys can be used.

In my town, the dealer is the only place that can do it. Local lock shops don't have tumblers for Hondas sidewinder locks.

and the power lock button won't lock the front door either.

so I will try to fix it myself, but don't want to buy an actuator if I need something else.
Listen first as per the previous reply.

If you can't hear or feel any power action at all inside the door, then pull the door panel off and TEST for power/ground at the lock actuator 2-wire connector. A simple 12v, #194 light bulb can be used to test.

Bad actuator is common, but every once in a while it's deeper than that.

CivicGene 03-16-2015 09:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for slow response. I was out of town yesterday.

One seeming misunderstanding: The door opens, you just can't lock it with the power lock button, and the key won't turn in the driver's side lock.

I will try the rest asap. Again, thank you!

Kristoco 12-13-2015 09:12 AM

Hello All! I'm new to this forum and new to Honda as well. I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX. I have a similar if not the same issue as this person. I cannot use the keys in either door and yet can in the trunk. My drivers side door has what seems a security lock option(?) which won't allow me to lock the door unless I hold the exterior handle up and push the interior lock down. I bought a new key fob thinking this would do the trick for now yet that only locks the door on the passenger side and ONLY if the drivers side is not locked. I do hear the actuator make sounds on the drivers side when I click the button yet it does nothing. I thought it was the actuator yet after reading a bit on here I am wondering exactly what it is, actuator, actual lock mechanism or all of it. Do I go to the Honda dealer, call a locksmith or is there a way to figure this out without ripping the door apart since it is now the cold season and this is all plastic. So I am stuck with either not locking the drivers side or lock it all and go through the trunk to get in my car. Ugh. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kristoco

ezone 12-13-2015 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kristoco (Post 4699292)
Hello All! I'm new to this forum and new to Honda as well.

Welcome

I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX. I have a similar if not the same issue as this person. I cannot use the keys in either door and yet can in the trunk.
IF you have always used the remote fob to lock and unlock, then the door key cylinders may just be stuck from lack of use over the years.

If you have always used a key to get in, the drivers lock is the most used so it would be expected to have worn tumblers long before any others..

Your call on this one.

If stuck, some penetrating lube might free it up, or it may need to be removed disassembled and cleaned to work.

My drivers side door has what seems a security lock option(?) which won't allow me to lock the door unless I hold the exterior handle up and push the interior lock down.
Normal, and you CAN pull on the inner handle to get the same action.
You can't get around this feature. At least you figured out the trick to it.

I bought a new key fob thinking this would do the trick for now yet that only locks the door on the passenger side and ONLY if the drivers side is not locked. I do hear the actuator make sounds on the drivers side when I click the button yet it does nothing. I thought it was the actuator yet after reading a bit on here I am wondering exactly what it is, actuator, actual lock mechanism or all of it.
Sounds like a bad power lock actuator.
Some cars list it as a separate item, other cars they only sell it as part of the door latch. Check a Honda parts catalog for your particular car.

Do I go to the Honda dealer, call a locksmith or is there a way to figure this out without ripping the door apart since it is now the cold season and this is all plastic. So I am stuck with either not locking the drivers side or lock it all and go through the trunk to get in my car. Ugh. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kristoco
Sup to you, call and ask. Locksmith may not want to mess with the latch or power locks.
Locksmith may not have tumblers for the locks either. I know they don't in my town.

Dealer employees may not even know they can put new tumblers in the locks, or that they (should) have a kit full of them in the first place along with about 5 new door cylinder blanks in the kit, for that matter.
Not kidding.

Kristoco 12-13-2015 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info ezone! I just got this car used a few months ago. Al;ways had an issue with driver's side door not working with key yet now passengers side doesn't work. Looks like I'll be contacting Honda to at least get a free estimate on the work. At least I'll get some definite answers to this problem. If I have to replace the locks anyhow I might as well get a quote on both doors and the key fob issue. Maybe then I can go online and find the parts much cheaper and do one door at a time on my own when it's warmer.

There's much I am sure I will be on here asking for the next year. I want some mods done on the exhaust as well as lifting and suspension.

Once again thank you for some info!!!

Kristoco

ezone 12-13-2015 10:11 AM

My biggest issue with merely replacing locks is having to use multiple keys (and the keys are fat, not pocket friendly).

My way keeps all locks keyed alike.

Kristoco 12-13-2015 10:16 AM

I know I can buy the actuators really cheap themselves. Yet I have no heated area or enclosed area to do the work since it is now winter time. I really don't want to rush the job either since I want to do some door panel cloth replacement as well. I plan on putting black light sensitive cloth replacing the old glued on stuff they used originally. My father has a friend who is a locksmith at his work place so I may be able to have that option done for free and hope I can do so yet I still need the fob to work on all doors. I also seem to have an issue with the trunk lock on the drivers side floor latch for it. I'm wondering if the driver's side door has been replaced as one point yet who knows.

ezone 12-13-2015 10:25 AM

The doors and major body panels all have VIN tags (stickers), you can tell if someone changed the door with one off another car.

If you have to do cylinders, I know I would pull them out myself and carry them wherever they need to go (locksmith or dealer). Save labor $ when possible.

Trunk release on the floor might be full of dirt along with never been used. That one is easy to take out and apart, experiment with it first?

Kristoco 12-13-2015 10:28 AM

I'll definitely do the removal once I get some info. I think getting Honda to give me that free estimate and list of what may actually be wrong will first give me a rough list to start with. Then I can go the cheaper route of DIY. The next piece after that is rear back-up lights and may just go with the new aftermarket LED light kit. Yet door locks are a must and first step.

Thanks for the info!

Kristoco 01-31-2016 03:48 PM

So with my issue I did buy a new lock and actuator for the driver's side door yet am going to go keyless and am looking for any info on plugs for the keyholes. Do they have them for the open slot (i.e. to fill the empty hole if I choose to remove the old one for repair) or to just cover the key dimple.

I'm also looking for info on any mechanism that kicks the door open when the fob is pressed a certain amount of times.

Thank you all for the info already provided and what is still to come.

Kristoco

ezone 01-31-2016 04:08 PM

Google door poppers