Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Window Barely Goes Up especially when wet? 2003 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/346773-window-barely-goes-up-especially-when-wet-2003-a.html)

chiphum 02-04-2012 07:45 PM

Window Barely Goes Up especially when wet? 2003

Anybody have front windows that will barely go up? We have to raise the window half way then 1/4 down then repeat. 2 Steps forward one step back! Its like the regulators in these windows just aren't powerful enough. I don't know what a fix would be because it works just not well. Thanks for any help.

ezone 02-04-2012 08:23 PM

Re: Window Barely Goes Up especially when wet? 2003

Make sure the glass hasn't come off track at the front edge and is trying to go between the rubber and the steel track.
It should stay within the rubber seal.

Lower the glass. Clean the glass run channels with hot soapy water. (The grooves where the glass rides up and down).

Get silicone lubricant in a spray can, or graphite. Do NOT use anything with oil, it can ruin the rubber seals and attract dirt and grime.
Lube the glass run channel seals real good, run the glass up and down several times to distribute the lube down the seals inside the door.

Just lubing with silicone spray usually helps a bunch.

Kennykid2002 02-05-2012 01:09 AM

My driver side window motor in my 03 has been going bad for the past 15 or so months
It comes down fine, but going up, the last 1/3 is a struggle

I have to get my motor replaced, but it works for now, so I haven't dealt with it
Knowing 7th gens, If I fix that, 3 more things will break down

ezone 02-05-2012 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002 (Post 4586582)
My driver side window motor in my 03 has been going bad for the past 15 or so months
It comes down fine, but going up, the last 1/3 is a struggle

I have to get my motor replaced, but it works for now, so I haven't dealt with it
Knowing 7th gens, If I fix that, 3 more things will break down

The motor/regulator either works or it doesn't. If the motor was the problem, it would drag all the way up.

--------------------------------------------------
Here's some C&P from Honda Service News, Oct 04:

Got a ’01–05 Civic in your shop with one or more
power windows moving a tad on the slow side?
The likely culprit is run channel friction. Power
window motors and regulators rarely cause this
problem; they simply raise and lower the glass
like a jack.

1 remove the two bolts that hold the
glass to the regulator.

2 Check the run channel friction by raising and
lowering the glass by hand.
• If the glass does not raise and lower
smoothly, go to step 3.
• If the glass raises and lowers smoothly,
compare the run channel friction to the run
channel friction in a known-good vehicle. If
the run channel friction is the same, then
look for other possible causes.

3 Use hot, soapy water to clean the run
channels, then retest.
• If the glass now moves smoothly, reinstall
the glass to the regulator.
• If the glass doesn’t move smoothly, go to
step 4.

4. Use silicone or graphite to lubricate the run
channels, then retest. Make sure you don’t use
oil-based lubricants; they attract dirt and
grime.
• If the glass now moves smoothly, reinstall
the glass to the regulator.
• If the glass still doesn’t move smoothly, then
replace the run channels, not the motor and
regulator.

-------------------------------------------

Spray silicone in the run channel seal can work wonders. Have you tried it yet?

HTH

Kennykid2002 02-05-2012 01:53 AM

^
Good information, however....
Any additional weight on the window causes the motor to sputter and die.

Though, it may be a combination of the problems

Like I said, as long as it works, I'd rather not mess with it for now, until it goes completely kaput

chiphum 02-05-2012 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I'm gonna try to clean and lubricate the run channels like you all said. I'll let you know results.

chiphum 02-05-2012 02:41 PM

Cleaning the channel & adding silicone lubricant seemed to help. Its still slow but will go up w/o having to reverse it. Thanks for the help. Saved me from replacing the motor.

CraigW 02-05-2012 04:00 PM

My 05 drivers window got wierd, I found that the end of the rubber channel insert was popped out of the metal channel... I pushed it back in but it would not stay in long. I ended up tacking it it place with a small dab of goop.

mac25 02-06-2012 01:52 AM

have you guys owned the car since it was made? do you know if the car was ever in an accident?

i bought my car as a salvage, the right window was always slower then the drivers side window. then i was hit by a canadian post truck, when it came back from the shop they straightend it right and now both windows are normal =D.

Kennykid2002 02-06-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by mac25 (Post 4586728)
have you guys owned the car since it was made? do you know if the car was ever in an accident?

i bought my car as a salvage, the right window was always slower then the drivers side window. then i was hit by a canadian post truck, when it came back from the shop they straightend it right and now both windows are normal =D.

Yep, bought mine brand new, it just happens

rockyrock 01-03-2018 02:11 PM

My windows are fine when it's warm outside but lately cooler mornings and evenings have made them slow or even stop when in the down position. I will try to clean and lube the channels but as it seems to be a temperature issue I'm not sure that is it.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Colin42 01-03-2018 02:53 PM

Probably just need to be lubed.
Can of spray silicone with a straw, put the windows all the way down and spray the tracks liberally. then run the windows up and down a few times to work everything in.

Could be that the wires are starting to break and there is more resistance in the wires causing the motors to struggle.

Try the silicone first though