Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Help, These headers didn't do anything.. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/290303-help-these-headers-didnt-do-anything.html)

DsevenEm2 02-12-2007 06:32 PM

Help, These headers didn't do anything..

I have an 02 civic ex. I went out and bought sum cheap OBX headers because i read a bunch of good reviews and a bunch of bad ones, so i figured why not leme just get sum experience. It turns out, my package didnt include that little metal wire ring thing that goes in between the downpipe and header collectors. The stock one doesnt fit these new headers so I just left em out. I go for a test drive see if it did anything and i dont feel a difference. Just a little louder. Could it be the headers or that one spacer missing. I know it has an exhaust leak so it that whats robbing the power, or is it just the sh*tty d17 motor. Any help or answers please. And yea im new here so whats up...

Honda2k4 02-12-2007 10:18 PM

i/h/e dont add much power on a d17 so you wont really feel anything, you should get a new gasket where the header and downpipe connect

DsevenEm2 02-12-2007 10:24 PM

Where the hell can i find one of those things by themselves. The headers i ordered never came with a new one, and the old one from the stock headers doesnt fit...whats it called anyway. Maybe its on ebay...anyone know?

Boilermaker1 02-12-2007 10:34 PM

Donut gasket? The only place to get those things is from honda... none of the parts stores have a number listed as an aftermarket alternative. its about 26 bucks IIRC.

DsevenEm2 02-12-2007 10:37 PM

I cant get it from honda.. i have a honda oem one and it doesnt fit. I always see on ebay when you buy like megan headers or what not they give u another one of those things....there has to be like a real ...name for em lol.

ryancivic 02-13-2007 09:01 AM

i had the same problem. i tried shaving down the gasket and ended up cutting my hand all up. anyways what i did is went to the car store and bought a liquid gasket kit. all u do is squirt some around the gasket area and its seals off etc. and i did the same thing with letting the headers not seal up and it made leaking noises etc but once it was all sealed it at least sounded much better and for me i think it made a little diff bc it eliminated the catalytic converter :rolleyes:

iNf3cTi0n 02-13-2007 09:38 AM

It's called a collecter gasket, i.e exhaust flange gasket,
take you header off, take measurements of the down pipe... take you header and measurements to you local knowlageable parts stores, NOT pepboys or autozone, the they have size charts. might take you a min to find the right one but, at least you'll learn a lil more about your own car, if you dont fix the leak, your going to burn your valves!!

Rufus 02-13-2007 09:39 AM

Liquid gasket? Geesh

Go to any local exhaust shop d00d. Mine cost 5 bucks. Save yourself the hassle. I went through the same thing

DsevenEm2 02-13-2007 10:53 AM

Thanks alot this really helps..i guess im just gonna go to an exhaust shop. Can that exhaust leak really do damage to your internals? I heard its just going to be an annoying noise. I should just run straight headers...take off my whole exhaust system. that would be fun...

Rufus 02-13-2007 11:11 AM

No that would would be bad.. as in people would point and laugh

DsevenEm2 02-13-2007 11:14 AM

I had a friend do it on an old school corolla.. very loud. scary.

dezod 02-13-2007 11:34 AM

I drove my wife's B18 teg with open headers daily to and from work for 2 weeks. It was retarded loud!

DaMadScientist 02-15-2007 12:21 AM

yout wife has a B18 teg with open headers...what a woman !

mani_is_kool 02-19-2007 10:48 PM

^^^LOL ... I bet she beat ur car every day :p

Alpha 5 02-19-2007 11:03 PM

I drove my 95 accord with the F22B2 for a while on open Hedman headers. It was bad.

electric130 02-20-2007 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by D17sRuNtunable (Post 4144489)
I should just run straight headers...take off my whole exhaust system. that would be fun...

i think that's the definition of rice if you look it up in a dictionary.:giggle: