Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Canada East (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/31-canada-east)
-   -   [boo: lock pls] my underspoiler came off... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/31-canada-east/88168-boo-lock-pls-my-underspoiler-came-off.html)

babychai 04-16-2003 07:09 AM

[boo: lock pls] my underspoiler came off...

I was backing out of my friends driveway and my front end hit the curb...
When i got home, I saw a black piece hanging on the front left end... it was actually dragging a bit on the ground the whole way home....i think i might have lost the clip that held it to the bumper...not sure since i didn't look under the car...

My friend took that off before when he was clearing the headlights so I know it's no big deal...
I think someone else (nuffsed??) on the board just tore it off the last time his came out...

but my question is...how easy is it to slip it back on without jacks? it's only partially off...so can i just try to find the grooves and push it back in or would it be easier to take off both sides and then slip the black thingy back on?

thanks for your help guys!

AzimuthX 04-16-2003 07:14 AM

Shouldn't be too hard, just ly on cardboard. Stock height right?

When we say underspoiler, is it the front lip?

AzimuthX 04-16-2003 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This?

Edit:

Yep, this is what they call the underspoiler eh, and side spoiler haha :rofl:

Theres no clips... its held on by 5 bolts and 3 self tapping screws and two sides of adheasive tape.

You have to check out why did it come off, like did the bolt bracket come off, etc.

Booohahaha 04-16-2003 08:05 AM

no she means the black rubber piece thats supposed to prevent the under neath of the bumper from scratching hahaha..
i took mine off a long time ago.. but u can just force it back into place if u still have it.. no biggie...just get down there and push it back in!!

nme3 04-16-2003 10:30 AM

yah i thought you have to take that thing off anyways if you get a lip on your front bumper.

iamfob 04-16-2003 11:09 AM

azimuthX: that is the front lip in teh picture

i took mine off when i cleared my headlights nad installed teh grill
it is useless for my car after it is lowered so took it off when the bumper was off

watewate 04-16-2003 11:10 AM

Re: my underspoiler came off...

Originally posted by babychai
I was backing out of my friends driveway and my front end hit the curb...
When i got home, I saw a black piece hanging on the front left end... it was actually dragging a bit on the ground the whole way home....i think i might have lost the clip that held it to the bumper...not sure since i didn't look under the car...

My friend took that off before when he was clearing the headlights so I know it's no big deal...
I think someone else (nuffsed??) on the board just tore it off the last time his came out...

but my question is...how easy is it to slip it back on without jacks? it's only partially off...so can i just try to find the grooves and push it back in or would it be easier to take off both sides and then slip the black thingy back on?

thanks for your help guys!

park your car, wear something crappy, get on your knees, then put that "weather strip" back into the groove inch by inch..... I do it all the time...:rofl:

oldskool 04-16-2003 12:27 PM

mine came off too and when u put it into the groove it always comes out. im just gonna go to honda.....on the ends there are little holes in the rubber that go around a piece of metal or whatever and its hard to get mine around.. If you dont get the ends clipped in its just gonna fall off again

Chigga 04-16-2003 01:16 PM

ok im confused here!

what u guys talkin about?? the front lip???

b/c my lip is going on once i get it painted!

Bluelle 04-16-2003 01:18 PM

just take it off....its pointless honestly....i took mine off a long time ago too....

iamfob 04-16-2003 02:30 PM

Chigga: look under your front bumper and you will see a black rubber piece and it is bolt onto the bumper
u cna take that off....most ppl i know in here already took that off

as Bluelle said, it is pointless cuz it doenst really block anything and doenst really protect much

babychai: just take off the front bumper and unscrew the bolts and take it off cyz once the clip break on those then it wont hold on and will be dragging on the gound

AzimuthX 04-16-2003 03:14 PM

Umm you guys are wrong

The black piece is called an AIR DAM
The picture I attached is called a UNDERSPOILER

*Well acording to Honda*

By the way, I got proof on that IAMFOB!

So is it the black peice (which I bet it is)?

babychai 04-16-2003 03:30 PM

hmm..i just went by the name in the DIY....they called it a spoiler...oh well, at least other ppl knew what i was talking about...:D yay

ya, i have always thought those things in ur pic were called front lips...

i'll go try and put it on now...either that or just yank it off...
thanks for all your help guys!

AzimuthX 04-16-2003 03:54 PM

Slowly remove it and put it in the garage.

Just to verify, I checked my sources and indeed

The "LIP" under the Bumper are called UNDER SPOILER (The Plastic Piece)
and that the "UNDER SPOILER" are called RUBBER AIR DAM. (The Black Rubber Piece)

Only the LX Sport come in a bundle with under spoiler 'sport' (skirts) kit
The rest of the models are optional...

I guess we learned something new!

Chigga 04-16-2003 04:07 PM

we did definately learn soimething...

heheh good thing u werent talkin about the lip!!! b/c i was going to say i hope my mugen one dont fall off or whatever it is

netcbc 04-16-2003 04:59 PM

Originally posted by AzimuthX
Slowly remove it and put it in the garage.

Just to verify, I checked my sources and indeed

The "LIP" under the Bumper are called UNDER SPOILER (The Plastic Piece)
and that the "UNDER SPOILER" are called RUBBER AIR DAM. (The Black Rubber Piece)

Only the LX Sport come in a bundle with under spoiler 'sport' (skirts) kit
The rest of the models are optional...

I guess we learned something new!

In terms of "this" information, its not important, cause who cares what its exactly called,
the information IAMFOB was more relevent, yes that "rubber thingy" is easy to come off and mines came off too, i didn't put it back on cause it just kept comming off and it looked silly, seems to have no use so its off for good.

SiGuy 04-16-2003 05:14 PM

Hey BabyChai, if you ever feel the need to replace it I have a few spare. We repair a lot of Civics at my cousin's body shop and a lot of the time I end up talking them into getting a skirt package or something, they just get thrown into the stock room.

AzimuthX 04-16-2003 05:20 PM

Its not important, its just as important, everyone lets call civics CR-Vs now, same platform NO?

See is there any damage on first, you just pushed it off the bumper by going head first into a curb.

Terrator 04-16-2003 06:26 PM

I've ripped the whole thing off!!
first my right side was touching the ground... ripped that off...
(same w/the inner fender)
then the left side...
this was right after i fixed it too!!
i think it must not have been attached properly in the first place (when i got the car coz thats when I first heard it scraping and was wondering wtf it was)

anyways i ripped the left side off on the 401 shoulder....
was a nice cold day w/tractor trailers flying right beside me when i was infront of my car on the ground trying to rip that thing off the hooks...
very scared... but it felt like it was hitting my tire...

of course, mine was cracked... hence the ripping...

netcbc 04-16-2003 06:31 PM

Its not important, its just as important, everyone lets call civics CR-Vs now, same platform NO?

See is there any damage on first, you just pushed it off the bumper by going head first into a curb.

In terms of generally is it important to know the specific names, yes it is,
that wasn't my point, she was asking about how easy would it be to install it again
and how to exactly install it, your answer was basically irrelevant, as in your answer helped jack.

VtechChronicle 04-16-2003 06:37 PM

Originally posted by netcbc
that wasn't my point, she was asking about how easy would it be to install it again
and how to exactly install it, your answer was basically irrelevant, as in your answer helped jack.

LOL... good point! :hgrin:

watewate 04-16-2003 06:39 PM

I agree with netcbc on this one.......

it's a weather strip, damn it ppl. :rofl: :hgrin:

AzimuthX 04-16-2003 06:49 PM

I tried my best to answer it correctly...
The underspoiler is held by 5 bolts and 3 self tapping screws, if it came off than most likely a bolt got popped off.

The last few posts I have made were in correction to the parts name, but I do agree there were irrevelent information posted in regards to the main question.

So let me answer this again.

Since the ground clearance with no load on a Civic is around 140mm... there should be no problem slipping underneath the front end to install back the rubber air dam but than you would need to know what to look for (the slot where it clips in). It would probably be easier to find the groves and push it in as oppose to pull it off and do it... Why not just take off the front bumper and install it from there :)

watewate 04-16-2003 07:02 PM

I tried my best to answer it correctly...
The underspoiler is held by 5 bolts and 3 self tapping screws, if it came off than most likely a bolt got popped off.

The last few posts I have made were in correction to the parts name, but I do agree there were irrevelent information posted in regards to the main question.

So let me answer this again.

Since the ground clearance with no load on a Civic is around 140mm... there should be no problem slipping underneath the front end to install back the rubber air dam but than you would need to know what to look for (the slot where it clips in). It would probably be easier to find the groves and push it in as oppose to pull it off and do it... Why not just take off the front bumper and install it from there :)

it's much more of a hassle to take off the bumper.... have you done this before? I have, and well, you can easily do it your thumb, pushing the strip into the groove.

AzimuthX 04-16-2003 07:08 PM

Originally posted by watewate
it's much more of a hassle to take off the bumper.... have you done this before? I have, and well, you can easily do it your thumb, pushing the strip into the groove.
Nope but it sounds so easily lol

Remove Bumper:
- Remove the four clips along the top of the bumper
- Remove the six clips along the bottom of the bumper
- At each fenderwell, remove the self tapping screw.
- With the help of an assistant, gently pull out on each side near the headlight to release the three retaining tabs.

I guess jacking up would be easier.

14CM is alot of room to manuever underneath the vehicle!

watewate 04-16-2003 07:17 PM

Nope but it sounds so easily lol

Remove Bumper:
- Remove the four clips along the top of the bumper
- Remove the six clips along the bottom of the bumper
- At each fenderwell, remove the self tapping screw.
- With the help of an assistant, gently pull out on each side near the headlight to release the three retaining tabs.

I guess jacking up would be easier.

14CM is alot of room to manuever underneath the vehicle!

whatever, man. CLIPS break, SCREWS can get lost, c'mon, gimme a break here, does it look like babychai has a friend who would help her remove the bumer? :hgrin:

1982 04-16-2003 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Booohahaha
no she means the black rubber piece thats supposed to prevent the under neath of the bumper from scratching hahaha..
i took mine off a long time ago.. but u can just force it back into place if u still have it.. no biggie...just get down there and push it back in!!

out of every 10 7th gens i see, one has that black peice dragging on the ground. mine came off twice, so third time i ripped the whole thing off.

AzimuthX 04-16-2003 07:27 PM

Originally posted by watewate
whatever, man. CLIPS break, SCREWS can get lost, c'mon, gimme a break here, does it look like babychai has a friend who would help her remove the bumer? :hgrin:
http://members.rogers.com/azimuthx/pickme.gif

But forget removing it, I would just crawl under and push it back in..

SedanBoy 04-16-2003 08:32 PM

don't need jacks...... just make sure you can get your hands under the bumper.......... it's only 3 or 4 clips that hold it on.......... take off all of them and slide it back into place then reinstall and tighten the clips......

babychai 04-16-2003 08:56 PM

hey guys, thanks for the help!

the screw/clip fell off and i lost it somewhere...
i essentially just tried to nudge the thing back on slowly inch by inch like watewate said...it stayed for a while and then there were some holes so i had this crappy piece of string (my resources are limited in waterloo) and i tried to tie to the bumper, but the string broke, but in the end, it is now held by a straw tied around the holes...hahaha...
i just need that combination to hold until i get back to toronto tm..:)

i'm going to either jack up the car and remove "the black thingy" completely or go to the dealership and try to buy a clip...

siguy: thanks..i know who to ask if it essentially breaks ;)

thanks to all who read/replied in the thread...