Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Best thing to do when getting pulled over.... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/50744-best-thing-do-when-getting-pulled-over.html)

CivicHX01 08-20-2002 09:00 PM

Best thing to do when getting pulled over....

is to present your Legal Shield Card... Having this card makes sure that your legal rights are protected when getting pulled over.. Whenever you get pulled over, you just show this card, the cop knows what it is and treats you much differently. As a member of the Legal Shield program, I have 24 hour telephone access to legal representation by a lawyer. This means that if I get pulled over, I can have the officer talk to my lawyer. What this means is, if I get pulled over 3am by a cop, I can call the toll-free number, or call collect and the cop can speak to my lawyer about why he pulled me over and for what reasons... Imagine how differently the cop will treat you when he knows that any wrong move can cost him his job. Also, if I ever get detained or arrested, I'm allowed to call the lawyer about what you need to do in that emergency situation.

This Legal Shield program is so tight. For less than a cup of coffee a day you can have legal protection for yourself and your family. THE MEMBERSHIP CAN EVEN SHAVE POINTS OFF YOUR DRIVING RECORD. Thats because, members have access to an AV rated attorney to represent them in court. There is so much more that this service offers and its so cheap its not even funny... but its real too, I've used it my family uses it (the call the attorney to review contracts and stuff) all my friends use it too.

I totally recommend this service, and just like car insurance, everyone that drives a car should have this. No one should be without legal protection nowadays... especially in the world we live in. I'm glad I have this service because whenever I need legal advice on something, I can call on an attorney about anything I need to know. And whenever I get a speeding ticket and I have a case to fight it, I can have a lawyer to represent me.... And whenever I get pulled over, I can be sure that my rights are protected. For how cheap this service is, everyone can afford it. For more information about this tight and affordable service

Click Here

This site is awesome... it has a video about the service and talkes about the membership in detail and even a section on the business opportunity that the company offers (which i'm also a part of)... and incase you were wondering who is Andrew Tolentino, thats me...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

zero 08-20-2002 09:02 PM

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] You sound like a sales person.

02EXCoupeGuy 08-20-2002 09:18 PM

I had a friend who did prepaidlegal, i'm not sure if he made any money from it but the service from what I understand is something that will benefit you in case you have any legal issues to deal with.

Unstoppable 08-20-2002 09:20 PM

[hr]This Legal Shield program is so tight. For less than a cup of coffee a day you can have legal protection for yourself and your family.[hr]
Lol nice sales pitch. Sounds like you are trying to save kids in africa.

BigWing 08-20-2002 09:23 PM

The best thing to do when getting pulled over....
this is somehting that my friend did, He offered to arm wrestle the police officer for teh ticket and if he won, then he didnt get the ticket but if he lost he got hte ticket...
this was the cops responce: put your hands over your head and get out of your car! folllowed by being thrown against a car!

hehe i dont suggest doing that, jsut thought u might think its funny...

CivicHX01 08-20-2002 09:35 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: zero
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] You sound like a sales person.[hr]
heh, i'm just trying to help people out with what i found... this can help everyone that drives a car IMO .... especially nowadays with "Import Profiling" (you see more and more imports and fixed up cars being pulled over)

CivicHX01 08-20-2002 09:39 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: Unstoppable

[hr]This Legal Shield program is so tight. For less than a cup of coffee a day you can have legal protection for yourself and your family.[hr]
Lol nice sales pitch. Sounds like you are trying to save kids in africa.[hr]

nah, i'm just trying to save the middle class american that does not know what to do when encountered with a legal situation... it seems only rich people have access to good lawyers (like puff daddy, o.j. simpson, r.kelly) because good lawyers charge around $300-$400 an hour. with this service you can get the same AV rated lawyers for much cheaper... i just want people to have this access when they need it (and they will need it sooner or later)

ShadyMilkMan 08-20-2002 10:03 PM

I wonder what quicksilver has to say about this?

enzymes 08-20-2002 10:08 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: PseudoChrist
I wonder what quicksilver has to say about this?[hr]
I'm waiting for his post.

CivicHX01 08-20-2002 10:08 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: PseudoChrist
I wonder what quicksilver has to say about this?[hr]
i'm sure he knows about this.... all officers know what the legal shield program is... the company even offers a law enforcment plan for officers that need their rights protected as well

LJ 08-20-2002 10:11 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: BigWing
The best thing to do when getting pulled over....
this is somehting that my friend did, He offered to arm wrestle the police officer for teh ticket and if he won, then he didnt get the ticket but if he lost he got hte ticket...
this was the cops responce: put your hands over your head and get out of your car! folllowed by being thrown against a car!

hehe i dont suggest doing that, jsut thought u might think its funny...[hr]

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

:_doh::_doh::_doh::_doh::_doh::_doh::_doh:

Erichyung 08-20-2002 10:17 PM

are you trying to sell on this forum?

CivicHX01 08-20-2002 10:23 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: Erichyung
are you trying to sell on this forum?[hr]
no, i'm recommending something, just like how someone can recommend a brand of intake (like either injen or aem).... and i'm simply stating my opinion on something that i really like and that has helped me and can help many other 7thgeners (and anyone that drives)

Grey 08-20-2002 10:48 PM

This is pretty informative: Street Race, Stay Out of Jail, Part 1

QCKSILVR 08-20-2002 11:42 PM

My personal opinion:

No offense, but it's pretty stupid in my opinion. When I approach a vehicle, the only thing I say is "license, registration and proof of insurance." I expect the documents to be delivered to me upon my request, as is required by New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law. An operator who has been pulled over must deliver these documents, or they will be arrested. I have no interest to look at a someone's attorney's card, legal services card, etc., nor am I required to look at it or speak with anyone's attorney. At that point, I will make a determination based on the operator's attitude and offense whether or not to return back to my vehicle to issue summons(es), investigate the operator's record or release them. If I decide to issue a summons, it is merely an accusatory instrument--I am accusing someone of doing something in violation of a law. The person has the right to plead not guilty and/or request a supporting deposition from me, which is a written statement of the credible fact allegations which back the accusatory instrument.

Chances are, I have a tape recorder going and quite possibly a video camera on my dash. That's for my own protection so I can't be accused of anything. What you say can and will be used against you while speaking to an officer and admissions or actions can and will be noted on the back of the court's copy of the summons and/or my personal notes. The operator (in New York) is not required to do anything but present the officer with license, registration and proof of insurance. In fact, I'd suggest not really saying much. For instance, if the officer says "how fast were you going" you say "I'm not really sure," so that your responses can't be used against you. Again this is the case if I happen to arrest the operator--he/she is not required to say anything but provide name/address and identification.

Again, the officer is not required by any law to speak with someone's attorney. I recommend simply providing name, address, identification, reg and insurance and not saying much of anything else during a stop or arrest situation.

CivicHX01 08-20-2002 11:51 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: QCKSILVR
My personal opinion:

No offense, but it's pretty stupid in my opinion. When I approach a vehicle, the only thing I say is "license, registration and proof of insurance." I expect the documents to be delivered to me upon my request, as is required by New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law. An operator who has been pulled over must deliver these documents, or they will be arrested. I have no interest to look at a someone's attorney's card, legal services card, etc., nor am I required to look at it or speak with anyone's attorney. At that point, I will make a determination based on the operator's attitude and offense whether or not to return back to my vehicle to issue summons(es), investigate the operator's record or release them. If I decide to issue a summons, it is merely an accusatory instrument--I am accusing someone of doing something in violation of a law. The person has the right to plead not guilty and/or request a supporting deposition from me, which is a written statement of the credible fact allegations which back the accusatory instrument.

Chances are, I have a tape recorder going and quite possibly a video camera on my dash. That's for my own protection so I can't be accused of anything. What you say can and will be used against you while speaking to an officer and admissions or actions can and will be noted on the back of the court's copy of the summons and/or my personal notes. The operator (in New York) is not required to do anything but present the officer with license, registration and proof of insurance. In fact, I'd suggest not really saying much. For instance, if the officer says "how fast were you going" you say "I'm not really sure," so that your responses can't be used against you. Again this is the case if I happen to arrest the operator--he/she is not required to say anything but provide name/address and identification.

Again, the officer is not required by any law to speak with someone's attorney. I recommend simply providing name, address, identification, reg and insurance and not saying much of anything else during a stop or arrest situation.[hr]
OK, there is a bit of confusion here.... The Legal Shield program gives the member 24-hour telephone access to legal representation in an emergency situation such as this... Yes by law the officer is not required to speak with someone's attorney, but the driver CAN SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY IN SUCH A SITUATION... (on the Legal Shield card itself has a message: "To any law enforcement officer or security personnel: "if it is your intention to question, detain or arrest me, please allow me to call an attorney immediately.") but not many have this access to speak to one in such an emergency (either when pulled over or already detained and arrested) and that is what the company is trying to provide with the legal shield program.

QCKSILVR 08-20-2002 11:55 PM

If a person wants to make a phone call to an attorney when I'm back at the car writing out the summons, that's their choice, but as I stated before, I ask for the license, reg and insurance and make a determination on what to do from there. It's not illegal to make a phone call and I wouldn't mind at all, but I want the operator's documentation upon my request as is required by law.

CivicHX01 08-21-2002 12:07 AM

If a person wants to make a phone call to an attorney when I'm back at the car writing out the summons, that's their choice, but as I stated before, I ask for the license, reg and insurance and make a determination on what to do from there. It's not illegal to make a phone call and I wouldn't mind at all, but I want the operator's documentation upon my request as is required by law.[hr]
Yes, on the card it recommends that "If asked, give the officer your name, address, Social Security number, and destination in a coopoerative way." In other words, it menas cooperate with the officer. 2nd it stats "Present your Legal Shield card in a respectful and courteous manner." This does not mean that the Legal Shield card is a replacement for those 3 required documents. It is an addition to the documents presented to the officer. Pics of the actual card will be up shortly...

CivicHX01 08-21-2002 12:59 AM

Here's the front... sorry my digicam sucks... i wish i had a scanner, but i guess this will do...
http://www.7thgencivic.com/old_attac...hield copy.jpg
it says "My legal rights are protected. LEGAL SHIELD
Most law enforcement officers are conscientious and are devoted to protecting your rights rather than abusing them. If you are stopped or detained by a law enforcement or police officer, we suggest taking the following precautions:
-If asked, give the officer your name, address, Social Security number, and destination in a coopoerative way.
-Present you Legal Shield card in a respectful and courteous manner.
-If you are arrested or detained, call the 24-hour, toll-free number on you Legal Shield card.

Here's the back
http://www.7thgencivic.com/old_attac...dback copy.jpg
It has the member's name, then my membership number.... i blacked it out in photoshop
Then it has the toll-free number (which i blacked out in photoshop as well)
"If toll-free calls are not allowed, please call collect:" then it lists the number....

then it says: "This person is a member of the Legal Shield program and has 24-hour telephone access to legal representation by a law firm provided by Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc,. and its subsidiaries."
"To any law enforcement officer or security personnel: "If it is your intention to question, detain or arrest me, please allow me to call an attorney immediately."

CivicHX01 08-21-2002 01:22 AM

and besides that is only 1 of the 6 titles covered by the prepaid legal plan...

the other 5 include:
Title 1:
- Unlimited phone consultations with an attorney
-Phone calls and letters by an attorney on your behalf to anyone (very powerful)
-Contract and document review
-Comprehensive Will Preperation

Title 2: Motor Vehicle Legal Expense Services
-Representation against moving traffic violations (shave points off your record and save on car insurance)
-Assistance with vehicle related criminal charges

Title 3: Trial Defense Services
-75 hours of attorney time in your defense (if you ever get sued) and you get more hours the longer your a member
(considering that an average attorney is like $200/hour thats like $15,000 worth of attorney time)

Title 4:IRS Audit Legal Services
-50 hours of attorney time if you receive an IRS audit or when requested to appear regarding your tax return

Title 5:Any other legal services 25% discount off regular rate
-So for any other legal services you get a 25% discount off the law firm's regular rate.

And then there is the Legal Shield Rider....

I just got those straight off of my contract that they sent me after I signed up... You get so much for paying so little and I love the service. I've called many times with legal questions... Also, before signing contracts all I do is fax it to them and they analyze it and suggest changes that there should be before I sign... I wish I had this for my speeding tickets and my accident... things would have been much different... but I have this now and I totally recommend it to everyone, not only because of the Legal Shield, but also the other benefits you get for only $26 a month... and like I can cancel anytime I want so if i wanted to I could just stop paying next month... but this service is so good for only $26 a month, everyone can afford it and everyone should have it... I highly recommend it you can click on the link in my sig for more info and stuff...

DxMaN 08-21-2002 08:28 AM

Sounds like SPAM to me. You're much better off just being nice and honest to the cop. I'm not some suck-up to cops, but I know that being a smart ass is not likely to help my situation. The time for being a legal wannabe is after you are arrested or detained unfairly. To show that card when you are stopped for a simple traffic violation would likely create enough contempt from the cop that you are assured a ticket.

For better advice look at this EHOWA . One thing I will say though is to not consent to any sort of search. Be careful with how questions like this are asked, some police (not accusing any of our residents here) use trickery and coercive techniques to obtain consent to a search. You're better off clearly saying 'No I do not consent to a search of myself or my vehicle' and then shutting up. Refusal to search is not probable cause for a search.

Briareos 08-21-2002 04:02 PM

Let me just say (because I really don't care what anyone thinks), that I hate cops. I hate them with a passion that burns deeper than the fires of hell. They play an important role in protecting society, but all the petty traffic stops that these idiots pull in a day, do absoloutely nothing but supply revenue for an already bloated and corrupt law system. That being said, my father is a state police officer so I know what these slobs must go through on a daily basis and the drek that america dishes out to them. They are both our unsung heros and our worst enemy. To all the cops who post here: instead of harrasing someone for going 7 miles over the speed limit, or worrying about what exhaust they have on their car, perhaps you should stop and think about all the crime that you're missing while writing that ticket. good day.

QCKSILVR 08-21-2002 04:12 PM

Idiots? I attained a 1380 on my SATs, possess a Bachelor's degree in Accounting and Business Management and a Master's degree in Criminal Justice Administration. Far surpassing what the average level of education is in the US, but, according to your logic, I guess I'm an idiot since I'm a cop. As far as the "revenue" that I make, I don't see a dime of it. I've explained for the past six or so months what happens with that money in most states. The officer never sees a dime of it.

"What these slobs must go through?" That's quite insulting to both me and any other police officer. I come from a very affluent and "clean" family where my father is a corporate litigator and my mother a New York State Supreme Court judge. None of us are "slobs" by any means. I am a very honest, decent and hard working individual. Where do you get off calling me or any other cop a slob? It's quite ignorant to call someone a slob simply because of what they do for a living. Using your logic, the mailman is a "slob" for delivering the mail, and a firefighter would be a "slob" for putting out a fire.

Clearly, you have less than a child's understanding of the legal system and a very narrow-minded thinking process. Does a cop make the law? No. Does a cop enforce the law? Yes. Is it illegal to go "over seven miles an hour?" Yes. Is it harassment to enforce laws that already exist? No. Complain to your state legislator if you have a problem with existing laws.

Learn how to present an effective and educated argument that isn't filled with pointless generalizations that can easily be disproven.

Mbow 08-21-2002 09:27 PM

Qck, I didn't know you had a master's as well. All that education to be a police officer? I am not trying to be rude by any means, just a little stupefied.

Anyhow, what is your opinion on this "legal shield" business.

QCKSILVR 08-21-2002 10:07 PM

I actually just got my Master's. Usually it takes a year to obtain a master's, but it took me longer as I was going to school part time due to being fully employed. I plan on also getting a law degree (JD) and taking the multi-state bar exam.

I work for one of the highest paid departments in the country that serves one of the weathiest counties in the US. I'd have to say (we did do some statistics on it) that approximately 98% of us (about 2800 officers) have at least bachelor's degrees. Those in supervisory positions (which I hope to eventually attain) have achieved high levels of education.

Edit--the "legal shield" program isn't for me, but to each his own...I personally wouldn't look at such a card if someone handed it to me; as I stated, I'm not required to look at it, nor would I want to.

CivicHX01 08-21-2002 11:37 PM

QCKSILVER... check this out...Click here or Check out this video...

It pertains to the plans available in New York.. click on "New York Comprehensive Plan" link... it will say what's in the contract that you get if someone gets the plan in New York

please post your opinion after reviewing that...

CivicHX01 08-21-2002 11:44 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: DxMaN
Sounds like SPAM to me. [hr]
You should check out the website first before commenting so harshly...

This should clear things up... Click...

QCKSILVR 08-22-2002 12:27 AM

I suppose its a good program for certain people, but as I said, it's not for me. I am personally represented by my union (which has it's own attorneys and union reps that are also sworn police officers) and I also have access to some top attorneys through my parents...so I wouldn't have a need for it, but like I said, perhaps someone else does. I'm really questioning the quality of the actual attorneys that would be involved with this program; there can't be that much revenue involved and usually good lawyers are at least $250/hr. I mentioned the program to my father, who has been a corporate litigator in a large New York City law firm for the past 30 or so years. He simply stated that you get what you pay for and he did not believe that they would be offering very experienced or quality attorneys to their members. Someone with my father's experience would require at least a few thousand to say hello and about $400 an hour thereafter, but as I said, he has 30 years of trial experience. Many of the things that are offered such as attorneys letters/phone calls and contract reviews and wills I know how to do myself or could simply request someone in my union or my father to assist.

All of that aside, 90% of us cops are just out there to do our jobs and not to infringe upon people's rights. That's it, nothing to it.

CivicHX01 08-22-2002 03:25 AM

there can't be that much revenue involved and usually good lawyers are at least $250/hr. I mentioned the program to my father, who has been a corporate litigator in a large New York City law firm for the past 30 or so years. He simply stated that you get what you pay for and he did not believe that they would be offering very experienced or quality attorneys to their members. Someone with my father's experience would require at least a few thousand to say hello and about $400 an hour thereafter, but as I said, he has 30 years of trial experience. Many of the things that are offered such as attorneys letters/phone calls and contract reviews and wills I know how to do myself or could simply request someone in my union or my father to assist.

All of that aside, 90% of us cops are just out there to do our jobs and not to infringe upon people's rights. That's it, nothing to it.[hr]
"there can't be that much revenue involved"

-Answer: Wrong: Pre-paid Legal Services, Inc. was organized in 1972. Originally listed on NASDAQ, moved to AMEX, and is now on NYSE (New York Stock Exchange) So in other words, its a public company and you can look up anything about it. Look it up on the NYSE... you'll be surprised what you find. Last year $40 million was generated and it has been one of the fastest growing companies.

and usually good lawyers are at least $250/hr.
And yes good lawyers are at least $250 an hour (sometimes even up to $300-$400). Thats for like AV rated lawyers. Maybe your dad is AV rated with the experience he's got... Speaking of AV rated lawyers... thats all that Pre-Paid Legal works with... I'll explain in my next answer....

I mentioned the program to my father, who has been a corporate litigator in a large New York City law firm for the past 30 or so years. He simply stated that you get what you pay for and he did not believe that they would be offering very experienced or quality attorneys to their members.

-Answer: Wrong again.... In this case you get way more then what you pay for... In most states, there's whats called a Provider Law Firm which members call directly for service. The Provider Law Firms maintain an extensive network of referral firms in their state or region for cases in which a local attorney is necessary. (This means that every area of law is covered and every time you get a specialist, anywhere in the state no matter how far the Provider Law Firm is from you). Most of the time Pre-Paid Legal members represent the largest client for these firms, that means they have a significant incentive to provide exceptional service. (that is becase with million's of members each paying $26/month, Pre-Paid collects this money, pays these law firms thousands of dollars and more when more members join, thus Pre-Paid is the largest client in that firm). Collectively(sp?), pre-paid legal members represent one really big client to the firm... The law firms are "pre-paid" for their services, so they're not trying to provide services members don't need. So the lawyers get their $250 or $300/hr and the client gets the affordibility of $26/month... so its a win/win situation and everyone is happy. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Since the lawyer has pretty much already been "paid" they are happy to provide the service as they would to their largest client... after all Pre-Paid is usually their largest client that pays that firm the most...

As far as the quality of the lawyers and the quality of service from the firm....

There quality control involved. Pre-Paid Legal constantly monitors all the law firms they work with electronically and through member surveys. The software monitors daily all the systems they use for intakes, will preparations, documents, letters... pretty much every call to the Provider firm a pre-paid legal member makes... The Provider Law Firms have been chosen through strict guidlines (like they have to have been around for a long time) and only have highly skilled attorneys... For example, the provider law firm here in California is "Parker Stanbury." Here they are at Martindale.com (where they rate attorneys)... now see how qualified those attorneys are... (i'm happy they are on my side [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] cuz i'm a member) as you can see under Clients it says they are Counsel for Pre Paid Legal Services

(I'm sure your father is on martindale.com too or the firm he works in [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG])
Edit: (not trying to be sarcastic)

Edit2: I'm not sure what the provider law firm in New York is... but i'll call tomorrow and ask... then i'll post them up too to show they are quality attorneys... maybe your dad might know some of them or might know the firm itself...

CivicHX01 08-22-2002 04:16 AM

Someone with my father's experience would require at least a few thousand to say hello and about $400 an hour thereafter, but as I said, he has 30 years of trial experience.[hr]

:eek::eek::eek: WOW, Your father must only work with rich clients.... Its sad how only the rich people can afford good lawyers... (On the supreme court it says "Equal justice under law" it should say "Equal justice for all that are rich and wealthy")... but at least Pre-Paid is trying to change that by connecting good, quality lawyers with average Joe Shmoe's making an average income... I think thats a good thing which is another reason why i like this so much...