Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Auto Civic Redlined 7.5k (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/245274-auto-civic-redlined-7-5k.html)

kelvin1262003 01-31-2006 11:58 PM

Auto Civic Redlined 7.5k

Tonight I was racing with a few friends on an old road. I started of in D3 and then for fun I went down to D2, and floored it. I forgot I was in D2 and I redlined, the engine was making the cutting off sound. I never knew Automatics allow that to happen.

After that I started driving normal. I only have around 4500km on my tranny and engine, car is still pretty new. But my car was acting all weird after that.

Engine temperature was colder then normal which is weird. My tranny won't die yet rite?

gearbox 02-01-2006 12:15 AM

1k miles and everything should be broken in safely. ya in 2 means the car is locked in second gear. if you drive from a stop it will be in second gear too. d3 uses the first 3 gears, d is all four. 2 is just gear 2. so ya you can go upto redline until the limiter cuts fuel. tranny should last another 50k miles at least.

LiKEaFeRiO 02-01-2006 12:20 AM

Don't drop it to d3 or d2 frequently.

I used to do alot of highway driving and would always drop it to d3 to speed up instead of flooring it and letting the computer do the work.

Tranny went out in 45k miles...lucky for me I had warranty.

gearbox 02-01-2006 12:45 AM

my tranny is slipping at 45k and i NEVER dropped it from d to d3. Actually I haven't even downshifted the car by stepping on the gas more than maybe 10x over four years. i know thats bad. and i dont do it unless its really necessary. now it should be okay to leave it in d3 and when you're accelerating, switch to d4 (but not so that moving it to d4 causes it to upshift).

kelvin1262003 02-01-2006 12:50 AM

Wow, I dunno wut to do. I shift around from D3 to D4 liek everyday, I was told it's okay between those.

Also if it takes like 3 trys to start up my car not even from cold start, does that mean i haf a problem?

gearbox 02-01-2006 12:58 AM

well look how i drive and the tranny is still breaking. so i don't think it would make a difference. three tries to start? yea thats a problem. mine cranks 3 times and then starts right up first try most of the time.

2k2_civic_ex_4d 02-01-2006 01:54 AM

I don't get how you guys have problems, I drive my auto so hard (95k miles) and I have absolutley no problems what so ever. I know it's stupid thing to do but there's been a couple times when I'll be hauling ass and to stop fast I throw it in D2 along with pressing the breaks firmly enough to chirp the front tires.

TemjinX2 02-01-2006 01:59 AM

wow you guys really like to abuse your auto trannies. I use to shift to d3 to d a lot then i found out it didn't really make a difference. Then i stopped, i have 54k on my auto and the trannies fine.

EastBayStuntN 02-01-2006 03:09 AM

for those who had have auto tranny problems, did you ever service the auto transmission for a atf change? just guesses why your auto tranny could suffer so soon

Xenin 02-01-2006 03:35 AM

oh man i do this all the time. most of the time i do it cuz i dont want to use the brakes to slow down. i can tell the tranny is gonna go, but not for a while. i've got 67k kms (canada) but powertrain warranty is good up to 100,000. it really doesnt matter anyways, in a year and a half my lease is up and my mom will buy out the car and i'll be upgrading to the Civic Si next year...i cant wait!

eye_see_you 02-01-2006 06:26 AM

change your fluid to start with ,, if it fails under warranty get it fixed if your tired of warranty do what I did and build it with the TCI auto kit the rest is in my boosted auto history book

gearbox 02-01-2006 08:30 AM

i changed my fluid every 10k. seems like it needs it every 3k tho. and i have a separate oil cooler for it.

CiViCLiZeD714 02-02-2006 12:09 PM

I used to do that when I had my car. If you do it to go faster then please stop doing that. You'll pay a jizzload of money to get it fixed especially if you're not under warranty.