Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Question for Those who Did Not Buy Their Car (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/219699-question-those-who-did-not-buy-their-car.html)

Boost_Junkie 07-13-2005 04:17 PM

Question for Those who Did Not Buy Their Car

what im asking is how is it that YOU guys get your parents to allow you to modify it (not give you money to modify it) cause its nuts, i see really young kids driving around with relatively new cars that are modified to the max...

Mike04Civic 07-13-2005 04:28 PM

my parents paid for my car. But I dont have any mods that would void any warantys. although im about 2 get some performace springs that will prolly void the drive train waranty....oh, ive got a 2k4 civic coupe.

WhiteCastle 07-13-2005 04:30 PM

I miss being young.....no wait I don't

dannn 07-13-2005 04:37 PM

my parents were supposed to buy me a car
but they took back the $10k they gave me and gave me my dads 01 sedan.
so i guess to make it up to me they dont care what i do to the car
but they wont let me sell it.

manthatguysfast 07-13-2005 04:40 PM

my parents bought mine for me as a hs grad gift - only they gave it to me on valentines day before i graduated (just a coincidence about valentines day, my old 1990 chevy lumina broke down and i needed a car at the time)

how did i get them to let me modify it? well they don't really know too much about cars - so i saved them money for my flowmaster exhaust and told them it would boost my MPG by a ton! haha then i got the intake to also boost up my MPG and make it idle more smoothly. after that they really didn't ask much - well i didn't really tell them what i was doing to it after that.

then i moved out haha

the only thing they hate is it being lowered - this morning, in fact, as she was bringing me back to work (cuz i dropped my car off at honda) my mom even offered to pay to get me stock rims and to put my car back to stock height - i told her if she wanted to help me with my rims she could have my rims powdercoated lol

dma001 07-13-2005 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteCastle
I miss being young.....no wait I don't

Amen! :D

jsw05exse 07-13-2005 04:52 PM

i dont think anyone should be given a car for graduating high school. if you cant graduate high school you are a moron!

stinkypie 07-13-2005 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jsw05exse
i dont think anyone should be given a car for graduating high school. if you cant graduate high school you are a moron!

I disagree, many of my friends from high school got full-ride scholarships to expensive colleges(University of Louisville and University of Kentucky mainly), which saved their parents probably somewhere between $50,000 to $100,00 depending on what their kid was going into. These kids are the ones that deserve a car for a graduation present(8 of my friends got new cars right before we graduated).

CuRiOuSfIsH 07-13-2005 04:57 PM

hmm... I'm not 17 but I'm not 27..... hmm.... my dad enjoys the suspension mods... everything else he disliked.... helps if your parents enjoy car modding.

Al Gore FTW 07-13-2005 05:00 PM

i just had my parents co-sign for my car. ive made every payment so far, and ive paid for everything ive done to it. i think my mom paid for gas once, thats all that hasnt been paid for by me.

slicksivik 07-13-2005 05:03 PM

i bought my car and all the mods on it

wonderz 07-13-2005 05:09 PM

just tell them stock oem parts are made cheaply on a civic.
so you gotta "fix" it to make it better. :D

that can be apply to any part of the car and should work every time. :hgrin:

pbfoot 07-13-2005 05:16 PM

i leased.....didnt buy. didnt do anything that i couldnt convert back to stock. nothing voided.

thomusvoo 07-13-2005 05:29 PM

got mine for my HS graduation

my mom doesnt really care what i do to it, as long as it runs, shes fine.

zachgeyer 07-13-2005 05:40 PM

i putt dwon 14k cash they are paying rest so i own most of it so my votes over rulle theres

Boost_Junkie 07-13-2005 06:00 PM

hah, those are some good answers...with my older cars when i was younger i just did what i wanted to them and they dont care, and my dad is an old gear head himself so he doesnt mind, but it was just a curious question that came to mind

booba5185 07-13-2005 06:06 PM

damn ur guys' parents bought u a car for graduating? i got a rice cooker.....my mom's a hippy

jackburton 07-14-2005 03:20 AM

I got my car for my b-day which happened to be a month before i got my license suspended for 120 day for failing to breath through a breathalizer. God it sucked, oh well just brought back good/bad memories.
As for mods and such my car is in my name so i can do anything i want to it, but the questions is will I?

clownprince 07-14-2005 08:16 AM

I got my car after hs and 2 years of community college. When I transfered away from home my parents wanted me to have something safe and reliable with a warranty........so they got me the civic. I didn't mod it much while it was still in their name to keep them happy.............so that's why everything I've done to the car has prety much been in the last year.

clrumivier4life 07-14-2005 08:21 AM

I'm paying for a little more than half of my car ($3000 down, $100 a month). I made my dad well aware what I was planning on doing with this car. He's always supported everything I've done though, so maybe that helps.

CivicMexicano 07-14-2005 09:35 AM

I got mine for mi Birthday/Christmas/Graduating from Highschool, and they do let me mod it, they just say anything that happens to the car that is related to the mods, goes out of mi pocket....

Bue the do sometime surprise me with some little gifts, like Red H emblems, and other tid bits i apreciate alot....

saugashan 07-14-2005 09:45 AM

u guys got new cars after gradutaing hs, i had to give money to my parents so they can buy a new car.. :(

modoman 07-14-2005 09:57 AM

car payments kill my mod budget... but its 100% my car :D

02blackcivic 07-14-2005 10:16 AM

well i got a job the day i turned 14 and worked at burger king for a year, saved all my money, worked at a gast station til i turned 16 and i cold get a real job, and saved all my money, had $13,000 saved up, found the 02 civic, bought it for $9500 with 29K, and im still only 16, i can mod it if i want but ive only done small things so far, and right now im in trouble with the car cuz my synchronizer for 3rd gear went out so thats gonna cost upwards of $1000, so as soon as i get that fixed, exhaust and rims are gettin put on, i just need to make sure the car runs good b4 i do any more mods, but i paid for the car with all of my own money!

zen_master 07-14-2005 10:19 AM

my parents bought my car...

they don't care about me modding it....cos' everything (mods) comes from my own pocket (work)

White05EXSE 07-14-2005 10:52 AM

My parents bought mine as a graduation gift (got a full ride to University of Tennessee). They knew what I intended to do to it but they didn't expect it when I came home with intake, wheels, and exhaust. They tell me all the time the cops are watching, etc, etc. I just kinda started putting stuff on it and they never told me to take it off or took the car away.

ciVictoria 07-14-2005 07:15 PM

My mom bought me my civic for my graduation gift and my dad is doing all the body work on it as my graduation gift also but as for any mods I have to pay for it.

goodtimes 07-14-2005 07:46 PM

the resion i got my car b/c i lived with my mom at the time and she only had one car and it was a hassal to take me to school and then go to her work every day so she got me a civic when i was in 11th grade.

my mom and dad dont care if i mod my car as long is it no illegal(my dad is a cop) and i pay for my car payment.

tuner04civic 07-14-2005 09:08 PM

all i got was my mom to sign and i paid her some $$ as a thanks...and work my ass off for the school year and summer....i have almost no life...but worth it

03CivicEX03 07-15-2005 03:33 AM

parents brought the car for my own personal use , so i don't have to share with them.

it my own car.. i can do whatever i want.