Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Finally someone is doing the K20A2 swap (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/21012-finally-someone-doing-k20a2-swap.html)

htowncivicEX 02-05-2002 11:07 AM

I spoke with Carboy yesterday, and here's what they said:

The electrical wiring between the two cars are very similar, so the connection wiring shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, a lot of stuff in the engine bay will have to be relocated (including the A/C). This is due to the fact that the engine of the RSX is on the passenger side of the car (the D17 and K20 engine bays are almost mirror images of each other). When Carboy actually does the swap work, they will need an actual Type S to do measurements, comparisons, etc. This shouldn't be too much of a problem - I'll just find a place in Houston to rent a Type S for a few days. If I have to find a place outside of Houston to rent a Type S, then I'll do it.

Carboy said that they are still finishing up research and will call me within a few days (by the end of the week, I presume) to let me know if everything is a go, and if so, what kind of work and $$ is needed.

Greenleaf Houston also called me up yesterday and said that I need to move the motor/tranny soon, as they are relocating their warehouse. So I am going to rent out a storage place near Carboy and move the motor/tranny pretty soon.

01civicboi 02-05-2002 11:15 AM

is there any way i can swing by and see the magic in the making? please???:)

htowncivicEX 02-05-2002 11:21 AM

01civicboi

Well, I don't have any problems with anybody watching them do the work. If it's ok with Carboy, then it's fine with me. Once they begin doing the work, I plan on dropping by frequently to check up on it. I'll let you know when I go so you can get a look at it too if you'd like.

Hey I might need an extra person to help unload the motor/tranny. I estimate that it weighs around 400 lbs, so about 4-5 people would be perfect. Would you be free on Friday night to help unload the thing off the truck and into a garage? Shouldn't be that hard - a few of my friends already said they'd help, but I might need an extra guy. I'll know for sure by this Thursday.

nbpEMCivic 02-05-2002 11:55 AM

ha me too!

Waldo 02-05-2002 12:32 PM

anyway i can get the info off of ya after ya get the swap done specs and all cause im wanting to do this over the summer when ill have cash

UncleB 02-05-2002 02:20 PM

great to hear an update. a lot of people are following this with great excitement. I know I am! don't forget to take some pictures!

01civicboi 02-05-2002 04:04 PM

aw man! my ass will be sitting at he airport picking up relatives[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG] i'd still like for you to keep me posted. if i can help in any way, cept for Friday:susp:, feel free to bug me. here's my addy here

avenger 02-06-2002 10:39 AM

im interested in how they're going to get around the counter rotation problem. are they going to use an rsx tranny? or are they going to reverse the engine rotation? It can be done, but my experience with that is on detroit motors. a cpu controlled vtec dohc I-4 might be tricky.......

htowncivicEX 02-06-2002 11:07 AM

We are going to use the entire drivetrain from the RSX.

emmagatorone 02-06-2002 12:00 PM

any other interesting news (it's all interesting!) with the swap lately?

htowncivicEX 02-06-2002 02:42 PM

Well, guys. I just got a call from Henry at Carboy, and I was a bit disappointed at what I heard.

Henry says that although the motor will fit into the chassis ok, almost everything in the engine bay will have to be relocated. At this moment in time, there is simply not information out there to predict what will happen once everything is relocated. They said that they do not want to get into a situation where they're halfway into the motor swap and then ... whoops. So to sum it up, Carboy said they can't do the motor swap right now.

I have a few options right now - go to another shop and see if they think any differently, but I have a feeling that another shop would come to the same conclusion that Carboy did. I could sell the motor to someone else (I've sent e-mails to the other bidders of the ebay auction to get a feeler about what I could get in return). Or I could just hang onto a practically brand new K20A motor kit and do some cool stuff in the future.

Do I regret purchasing the motor kit now that it hasn't turned out the way I wanted it to? Not really. At least I gave it a good try. If I would have passed up on the motor, I would always have been wondering, "What if...??" For me, I would rather take a chance and risk failure instead of taking the easy way out and wondering "What if...??" for the rest of my life. That's also been the reasoning behind several of my past girlfriend relationships, but that is an entirely diferent topic of its own.

Thanks to everybody for their support. I hope that all of us learned something during this experience. If not, oh well.. at least I hope you had a good laugh at my expense [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].

Aaron "Still researching a turbo setup" Chang

UncleB 02-06-2002 02:49 PM

that's a bummer dude. I would sell that thing and start working on a custom turbo setup. probably be better in the long run anyway. good luck in your next endeavor, whatever it may be.

BiGDoG 02-06-2002 02:50 PM

Nice try DoG, Dont keep ur hopes down one day u will..... :tup:

Nickabus 02-06-2002 02:52 PM

can't wait to see if it works or not!!!

NeoMagus 02-06-2002 02:53 PM

I hope this thread becomes a sticky.

Too many n00bies come on this board thinking engine swaps in our cars are a piece of cake. :tdown:

AEMcivic 02-06-2002 02:54 PM

Damn, that sucks dude!!!!:tdown:
Oh well, you're still the man for being the first one on here to try the swap.:tup:
If I were you, I'd hold onto that motor for a bit.
You might find someone else who can do the swap.
I don't know, I guess it's up to you...

SoNiCcIvIc 02-06-2002 03:12 PM

<< Do I regret purchasing the motor kit now that it hasn't turned out the way I wanted it to? Not really. At least I gave it a good try. If I would have passed up on the motor, I would always have been wondering, "What if...??" For me, I would rather take a chance and risk failure instead of taking the easy way out and wondering "What if...??" for the rest of my life. That's also been the reasoning behind several of my past girlfriend relationships, but that is an entirely diferent topic of its own. >>

Hey, you know how to live, man. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG] That's what life is about... going where no one has ever gone before, and you've given us answers and wasn't afraid to seek the truth. :tup: Sorry that things didn't go smoothly but I give it up for your effort.

SoNiCcIvIc 02-06-2002 03:15 PM

Oh yeah! And it's not the end! You still got a good engine like you said. I'd play around with it if I knew how to, but I got friends.

01Ex 02-06-2002 03:45 PM

Go to a different shop. The shop i take my car to was going to do it to my car(still might) they are 100% sure that it will work. You want A/C? I dont need it. that is the hardest to relocate. and i am pretty sure that is what's stoping "Carboy" from doing it. everything else bolts right on to the engine. Just take the car somewhere else. get it done and be the first or wait till this summer when i have it done to my car and be the second.

liq 02-06-2002 03:55 PM

damn that sucks

<< Carboy said they can't do the motor swap right now. >>

so when will they be able to do it?
i agree with 01, just keep the stuff you need take out ac, power steering, windshild washer reservior and stuff like that. your engine is gona basically be identical to an RSX's, and it does work on an RSX. if you need extra parts from an rsx just get it from a junkyard.

delacampos 02-06-2002 04:26 PM

have you talked to the guys from PYR? if so, what did they have to say? if not, i suggest you call'em. IMO, carboy sucks nuts.

liq 02-06-2002 04:36 PM

delacampos, whats pyr(besides its a car shop)? and i thought carboy was a good shop except their kinda expensive. have you had a bad experience with them or anything?

NeoMagus 02-06-2002 07:58 PM

ttt

Waldo 02-06-2002 08:28 PM

hey you still got those mauals you ordered??? i still wanna give it an attempt in tampa, i got 2 other cities to try if no one here will do it ... Orlando and miami and i know i could find a place in one of those two cities. Just got to start looking around some guy at my school they already put one in a rsx but i dont believe him he also says he can get one for 2k [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] but again i dont believe it. I go to the races every weekend so hopefully ill meet up with someone that will know someone that does that. wish me luck
waldo

htowncivicEX 02-06-2002 11:16 PM

delacampos

Who is PYR? I was thinking of having some of the other shops around town (like Hocus Pocus or Endless) see what they can do. Note that Carboy didn't say that the swap was impossible - they just said that there were too many unknown variables and that (quote) "we didn't want to be the first ones to try it and then fail." Way to go, guys.

I am pretty sure it can still be done. Right now I am taking some engine mechanics classes at Houston Community College, and one of the instructors at HCC is a Honda technician. I'm going to ask him on Monday if he could put me in contact with some knowledgeable Honda and Acura techs who could help me out. Carboy doesn't have a lot of experience working with the 01 Civic and 02 RSX, and I believe that's why they see problems with the swap. I'm hoping a good Honda or Acura tech would know exactly what to do.

I've been thinking about this a lot this past evening, and I'm going to give it another shot. I'm not about to give up on this motor swap just yet...

emmagatorone 02-06-2002 11:20 PM

Oh jeez, I missed some of that news obviously! That sucks man, you have to keep at it!

delacampos 02-07-2002 07:17 AM

www.pyr-racing.com built my friends all-motor integra. its runs 12's. Peter is very knowledgable. also, try www.jisatsuracing.com. they specialize in swaps.

stay away from hocus and endless. hocus blew my other friends motor while installing a turbo. and last time i visited endless, they looked as if they were a cell phone distirbutor. they had more damn cell phone accessories than car parts. and the car parts they DO carry, are mainly bolt-on's. i HEARD they were thieves too. they work on your car then follow you home and steal it all back. thats just what i heard. carboy is way too expensive. they price everything at retail cost. they were unable to properly tune my friends all-motor teg too. don't get me wrong, carboy is capable of doing some quality work, i just rather stay away.

delacampos 02-07-2002 07:37 AM

also, contact Jeff of www.importbuilders.com. he is not located in texas but he should be able to offer some info/help on the swap. he says they are capable of doing the swap.

Mokushi 02-07-2002 09:23 AM

If you get the same answer form another shop, I would sell the motor. If you hold onto it, it will just lose value as more engines become available from wrecked/totalled RSX's. Later on, if you find out that the swap is more easily done, then you could buy another engine for cheaper. I'm just saying this because it is what happened with swaps in the 5th and 6th gen for B-Series motors.

Even though it didn't quite work out yet, I commend your effort. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

KurupTLX 02-07-2002 10:12 AM

Mannn... im really disappointed to hear about this
Keep y0 head up and keep lookin for other places to do the swap...

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] Carboy

K-lx