Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Infiniti G35X: Return of the ATTESSA? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/134970-infiniti-g35x-return-attessa.html)

nookiemonster 01-16-2004 06:08 AM

Infiniti G35X: Return of the ATTESSA?

Wow, it almost sounds like Nissan is actually bringing the ATTESSA drive system to the US "Skyline wannabe" G35 Sedan. Sounds nice actually. See it and hear about it here:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...lery-index.htm

Variable power output to front and rear axles, similar to the ATTESSA driven skylines of the past.

Boilermaker1 01-16-2004 07:25 AM

Yeah... too bad it can only be had with a slushbox. Kinda retarded if you ask me. Hopefully they'll make an AWD 6 speed coupe.... well, if they're smart they will........

Oh BTW... it is Attessa drive. There's several variations of it. This one isn't totally the same as the Skyline drive, but it does still allow for 100% rear transfer.

nookiemonster 01-16-2004 07:44 AM

hmmm thanks...

CivicsRdBest 01-16-2004 08:10 AM

Isn't that in the AWD G35 that they advertise now???

nookiemonster 01-16-2004 08:11 AM

I haven't seen any advertisements for it, but it's the 2004 model, so I suppose it would be.

Giuseppe 01-16-2004 11:29 AM

The FX35/45 also uses a variation of ATTESSA.

alienmeatsack 01-16-2004 11:36 AM

I saw this one on cars.ign.com when they talked about it. It's nice, and its a step closer to what we all know we really want. But its still not there.

aki 01-16-2004 03:48 PM

"skyline wannabe"? For upteenth time, the G35 IS a skyline. The badge for the skyline and skyline GT-R split. The Atessa drive wasn't used on the regular Skyline, it was used in the Skyline GT-R.

Ppl on this board keep interchanging the regular skyline w/ the skyline GT-R and vice versa. We already have a skyline, we need the GT-R.

nookiemonster 01-16-2004 06:07 PM

How can it be a skyline if the chassis is a Z variant? The R series chassis are gone, and the "new skyline" shares little to nothing with it. The RB series motors are also gone and in it's place is the VQ series motors. So for the upteenth time, yes it's considered the "wannabe skyline" in nissan camps around the world. It has been considered very disappointing, although I'd still kill to have one.

zachgeyer 01-16-2004 06:40 PM

I like all Infinitis

aki 01-19-2004 05:41 PM

Originally posted by nookiemonster
How can it be a skyline if the chassis is a Z variant? The R series chassis are gone, and the "new skyline" shares little to nothing with it. The RB series motors are also gone and in it's place is the VQ series motors. So for the upteenth time, yes it's considered the "wannabe skyline" in nissan camps around the world. It has been considered very disappointing, although I'd still kill to have one.
You aren't getting what I'm saying.

First off, most Nissan's share chasis'. The new GT-R will share a chasis, probably the same Z-chasis.

Secondly, the skyline is a skyline, the GT-R is the GT-R The R-series chasis ...? There never was a dedicated chasis to the GT-R. The GT-S, GTS-T, GT 4 door and GT-R shared the same chasis.

Third you keep comparing the regular skyline to the GT-R - you're comparing apples to oranges because the badges split. What you're doing is like comparing a stock non-evo Lancer to an Evo VI, saying that the previous Lancer was a lot better. You can't even compare the two.

If you want to make a fair comparison, please compare the non-GT-R R34 skyline to this skyline. You're comparing completely different trims. If you want to make right comparisons, compare the G35 to the R34 GTS-T and you'll find that the G35 performs a lot better.

It's not a wannabe skyline, because skyline's have always had midrange performance. The GT-R is the highend performer.

-Aki

nookiemonster 01-19-2004 05:49 PM

No, I'm comparing skylines in general, to the G35. Skylines in the past, have never shared a Z platform. Nobody said anything about GT-R. The fact of the matter is, that up until this point, the skyline has had it's own DEDICATED chassis. YES, it has. Known as the R series. (R32, R33, R34, etc.)

You know what the G35 is known as to everyone else who isn't trying to make it out to be a skyline? It is known as "The Gentleman's Z." Imagine that...

trashguy 01-19-2004 05:55 PM

Just a quickie.... R series skyline is dead untill 2007

My buddy who works for nissan let me on a "secret" That the DT-R will be in USA but the good old R sereis motor is gone :( No more cool RB26DETT but he said ther will be a cool Twin turbo V 6.

The AWD G35s will be here soon

nookiemonster 01-19-2004 05:57 PM

Yeah I think that will be the VQ35TT...something like that...be pretty cool none the less...

trashguy 01-19-2004 06:01 PM

yeeee

I want a VK56DETT adsjhga;erhg;wrhgn'jnwrlfbjlhtkbgv haha

Ill continue to dream that Nissan would make suck a beast :D

aki 01-20-2004 11:35 AM

Originally posted by nookiemonster
No, I'm comparing skylines in general, to the G35. Skylines in the past, have never shared a Z platform. Nobody said anything about GT-R. The fact of the matter is, that up until this point, the skyline has had it's own DEDICATED chassis. YES, it has. Known as the R series. (R32, R33, R34, etc.)

You know what the G35 is known as to everyone else who isn't trying to make it out to be a skyline? It is known as "The Gentleman's Z." Imagine that...

My apologies, I mistook you for saying that the GT-R had its own chasis. The reason why Skyline shares the same platform with the Z is because of Carlos Ghosn's measures to cut back costs. Just because cars share the same platform doesn't mean it's a worse car. So your argument of the current skyline being inferior doesn't stand with this regard.

You and many others keep trumping up Skylines in general. The non-GT-R cars are average performers. My brother owns a R32 GT-S in Japan, and while the engine is nice, its performance is somewhat lower than the new Z. It seems that most aren't familiar with how regular skylines perform, because if you did you wouldn't be saying the current skyline sucks.

nonGT-R R32, R33 R34 Skylines are $20-30k cars, as is the current G35/Skyline. A GT-R is a 50-60k car. It makes no sense to keep saying that the R34 GT-R was so much better when you're comparing totally different trims. Either compare the R32, 33, 34 non GT-R's to the G35 or don't make any comparisons at all. It's like ragging on a stock low-end mustang because it doesn't perform like a Mustang Cobra. Of course they don't perform the same.

-Aki

trashguy 01-20-2004 11:39 AM

Comes down to it is that Nissan is French owned...

Booo Fiat....

Giuseppe 01-20-2004 11:41 AM

Fiat is Italian and does not own Nissan. That would be Renault.

trashguy 01-20-2004 12:24 PM

Bah correct i get the Euros mixed up..

Still french owned..

modoman 01-20-2004 01:23 PM

g35skyline is ugly for a skyline... give me a g35 or a skyline, not both in the same car

phatcyclist 01-20-2004 03:35 PM

well, I saw some schematics for the VQ32DETT, which is supposevly going to be the engine in the GT-R skylines, and they had a VQ25DET, which im guessing will be GTS-T engine. and since we already HAVE VQ series engines in the states, they cant really use that as an excuse to not bring them over, like when we got NO RB series motors ever.

aki 01-20-2004 04:48 PM

Italians make some unreliable quirky cars, but they also make the best looking cars which sort of makes up for that. Alfa Romeo's 156 sedan is by far one of the sleekest out there.

http://www.alfaromeo.com/ALFAROMEO_C...O_KVb_E_00.jpg

The Ferrari 360 Modena. Sure it's not the fastest sports car, but its one of the best looking.

Back to thread though, the GT-R will probably have VQ32DETT. And for the last time, it's not Skyline GT-R, its just Nissan GT-R :)