Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/267-bolt-engine-performance-modifications)
-   -   low oil pressure/ fuel pump shut off (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/267-bolt-engine-performance-modifications/364925-low-oil-pressure-fuel-pump-shut-off.html)

jwalkerck1 08-16-2015 08:16 PM

low oil pressure/ fuel pump shut off

I recently purchased a 1996 Civic LX and I need some help. I'm not overly familiar with the car as of yet but I need to know does the car have an automatic fuel pump shut off when the oil pressure is to low or is this just an aftermarket add on? It is equipped with the SOHC engine with :vtec: and an electric fuel pump. Any help would be much appreciated.

ezone 08-16-2015 08:45 PM

Re: low oil pressure/ fuel pump shut off

does the car have an automatic fuel pump shut off when the oil pressure is to low
No. .

jwalkerck1 08-17-2015 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4691098)
No. .

I have been told by two Honda gurus that they in fact do have one in the main relay. :vtec:

ezone 08-17-2015 08:39 PM

Still no.

The oil pressure switch is ONLY connected to the oil warning (gravy boat) light.
It is not connected in any way to the fuel pump or fuel injection system.

You can drive around with the oil pressure light glowing bright all the way up until the time the engine hatches.

jwalkerck1 08-17-2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4691164)
Still no.

The oil pressure switch is ONLY connected to the oil warning (gravy boat) light.
It is not connected in any way to the fuel pump or fuel injection system.

You can drive around with the oil pressure light glowing bright all the way up until the time the engine hatches.

The reason I am asking is because it is my race car so I need to know if there is something that will stop the fuel from pumping in case I roll the car over since it is an electric pump.:help::vtec:

RIPSAW 08-17-2015 09:36 PM

I know the old GM Vaga had one. About 30K when the cylinder scrapings packed the oil pick up , you could get 5-10k more engine life out of them by jumping out the switch.

ezone 08-17-2015 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jwalkerck1 (Post 4691167)
The reason I am asking is because it is my race car so I need to know if there is something that will stop the fuel from pumping in case I roll the car over since it is an electric pump.:help::vtec:

In stock form there's nothing to shut off the pump that is tied to oil pressure, but if you are into creative wiring it would not be hard to rig something up.

The pump (main relay) is shut off shortly after the engine comes to a halt and ignition pulses are no longer seen by the computer, you can check this out for yourself to be sure