Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Engine Performance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/266-bolt-engine-performance)
-   -   2005 honda civic exhaust dx, lx vs ex (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/266-bolt-engine-performance/367082-2005-honda-civic-exhaust-dx-lx-vs-ex.html)

dsm482 04-05-2016 12:43 AM

2005 honda civic exhaust dx, lx vs ex

Hi,

i have 1.7 d17a1..

I read a lot someone verify for me..

I know the stock exhaust are diffrent betweend vtec and non vtec, dx,lx vs EX vtec one..

I would like some aftermarket headers.. will they fit both, or are there diifrent ones for dx or d17a1?

how did you guys modify the o2 sensor.. was it fine just extending the wire it for the CEL leght?

I was thinking buying a header, and do 2 inch or 2/14 inch exhause back with some deep tone muffler , nothing to loud.. and add a 50 shot nitrus... i just want to make it breath better.. car is old, but i love it..

millage is high, but had 200 compression before my valves got bent.. so i put some new valves,, .. cheap best for buck performance am looking at.

turbo or swaps are just to much for this car.. i rather buy somehting fast to modify.

Poopies 04-05-2016 10:57 AM

Re: 2005 honda civic exhaust dx, lx vs ex

The D17A1 header has the catalytic converter attached to it, while the A2 (EX) header is its own thing with the cat located past the downpipe. Unless you convert to an EX-type setup, there aren't many exhaust options available to you, especially for headers.

dsm482 04-05-2016 11:56 AM

I realize that i read the thread above in sticky..

my questions is will I be able to modify extend the O2 sensors.. extend = more resistance= CEL light. Here in NYS where am at , they hook the car up to computer, and wont pass inspection if you have Check engine light.

No cat no back pressure, I was thinking running eventually 2inch exhaus back.. nothing bigger j so i dont loose all backpressure... I can put a dummy cat for the inspector, that means clean the internals out.

main problem is will it set CEL light.. if it does i have an issue.

Colin42 04-05-2016 12:06 PM

you can buy o2 sensor wire extensions, and they shouldnt cause any issues

dsm482 04-05-2016 12:15 PM

How big is the cat on EX civic outlet an inlet..? if I grab there cat cut it out, and cleaned the internal, get a header from the head, then run 2 inch to that cat, and 2 inch back to a muffler.. get wire extendors header i believe has a spot for o2 at it,.. where would it be the second 02..

on dx its right after cat.. on the header part..

my worry is backpressure, and not reading right, at certain condition settin CEL or setting CEL constant..

any experience with it ?

dsm482 04-05-2016 11:15 PM

bump.. anyone had issues with their set ups on dx or lx..

I need to know if CEL light can be avoided. NYS hooks the car up on inspection once a year.. no smog test, but needs to have no CEL's.

I found this megan header for LX an DX.. it has 2 bunks for O2 right were the cat is on the OEM.. But having no cat on this MEagan makes me think, no back pressuer as much, would that trip the O2 sensor anyway?

http://www.meganracing.com/product.asp?prodid=323 this is the one I am talking about that i Found...

There has to be people with aftermarket exhaust..

I just want to make sure I can avoid CEL... otherwise it will be a bitch hooking your stock exhaust back up once a year to just pass inspection.

:_doh:

GusBuz 05-04-2016 04:50 PM

No CAT = CEL. The megan racing header will cause the CEL to come on because there is no cat. If you get the EX exhaust and gut out the cat for a "dummy" cat, it will also throw the CEL.

piano55man 11-08-2016 03:13 PM

I have an 05 lx.
I recently installed a header by tuner bits (amazon)
I couldn't mount the secondary 02 sensor...so i put it in a plug defowler..which i drilled out and put it next to the battery. (out of laziness)
i have tripped the CEL a few times, but i now run a bluetooth elm327 obd2 device to my tablet...which is mounted on the dash. I use the app Torque pro for more telemetry and this will also clear any CEL that may occur...

YahBoyAllyG 04-11-2021 07:58 PM

Yo homie was wondering if you could help out. Soo I have a 2005 Honda Civic dx coupe (D17a1) with a stock exhaust, Could you maybe recommend any exhaust that are compatible with the oem catalytic converter and also if you could maybe give me tips and specs on the actual size of my oem piping and kinda teach me what I need... I hope you reach out, the civic would really appreciate that :)

one last thing do I need to basically swap the exhaust from a EX to My civic coupe for it to work ?

sdaidoji 04-12-2021 04:51 AM

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...p-version.html