Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   Car Alarm (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/167581-car-alarm.html)

DVnAFI 08-07-2004 06:24 PM

Car Alarm

Whats the best one? I want one of those cute little remotes that have like a LCD display,lol. But seriously, one with like sensors, and remote start, and one that can lower or raise windows....you get the idea. Whats the best one? 100.00 ones are crap, so, Im looking for one no less than 200.00 bucks. Thanks! :)

Mr.Modify 08-07-2004 06:30 PM

get a viper 791 nuff said.......

injencivic 08-07-2004 06:34 PM

none are good because if they want inside your car bad enough they will get inside.. but hey what do i know i have just worked in law enforcement for 5 years and havent seen anything like that first hand. :shrug:

Injen

DVnAFI 08-07-2004 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Modify
less then a hundred bucks?!?!?! online? installation will cost more most likely (professionally)

i got the Viper 791 gots everything you need.....getting remote start installed soon.

I didnt say less that a hundred, I said no less than 200. So meaning something more than 200 bucks.

Mr.Modify 08-07-2004 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DVnAFI
I didnt say less that a hundred, I said no less than 200. So meaning something more than 200 bucks.

either you changed it or i read it wrong...updated my post above.

DVnAFI 08-07-2004 07:18 PM

791?

NoLeadEmSoMuch 08-07-2004 07:48 PM

he's right - I just got a Viper 791XV and paid $715 for remote start, keyless, and to have one of the button combos turn my rear defroster on...I also had an button installed next to my cruise control switch that lets me pull the keys out and keep the alarm armed and the car running. Our big convenience store in NJ is "Wawa", hence my installer calls it "The Wawa button", theory being for running into the store real quick. You can also get a channel expander and have the 4-button remote do like 12 different things. I'm gonna have mine expanded to do the windows, pop the trunk, and the thing is so smart I might have one of the buttons find my zipper for me when I have to take a piss.

Mr.Modify 08-07-2004 07:51 PM

791?

what don't u get?

DVnAFI 08-07-2004 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by NoLeadEmSoMuch
he's right - I just got a Viper 791XV and paid $715 for remote start, keyless, and to have one of the button combos turn my rear defroster on...I also had an button installed next to my cruise control switch that lets me pull the keys out and keep the alarm armed and the car running. Our big convenience store in NJ is "Wawa", hence my installer calls it "The Wawa button", theory being for running into the store real quick. You can also get a channel expander and have the 4-button remote do like 12 different things. I'm gonna have mine expanded to do the windows, pop the trunk, and the thing is so smart I might have one of the buttons find my zipper for me when I have to take a piss.

well that sucks. On ebay you get one for 235 bucks and you get the window option and remote option for 50 bucks.

Karumba 08-07-2004 08:23 PM

well that sucks. On ebay you get one for 235 bucks and you get the window option and remote option for 50 bucks.

Parts fine .. but that doesn't include installation. Installation (and warranty) is mainly the price difference.

Also, just my opinion, but a good alarm is only as good as its install. My $0.02 on the matter. Good luck shopping for an alarm.

Pharoh 08-07-2004 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Janlop
Parts fine .. but that doesn't include installation. Installation (and warranty) is mainly the price difference.

Also, just my opinion, but a good alarm is only as good as its install. My $0.02 on the matter. Good luck shopping for an alarm.

I agree.

Took me awhile to find where the guy installed all the ish for my system.

Mr.Modify 08-07-2004 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Janlop

yea install kinda costs....for a good job. that's what you want!! You can't have a sloppy job done.

slick 08-07-2004 08:37 PM

find a place that sells the alarm you want and ask how much it is installed, then ask him/her how much it would cost to have an alarm you bought elsewhere installed....dont be surprised if the numbers are close.
all the money made on alarms is from the installation, so just do yourself a favor and get one from a good local place installed.

MegaHurtz 08-07-2004 09:28 PM

Compustar 2WFM has got to be one of the best on the market.

I have never used the Viper so I can't judge, but I'm sure they don't cost 715 because they are crap.

But you cannot go wrong with Computstar 2WFM either

Pharoh 08-07-2004 10:31 PM

I prefer the Clifford Matrix RSIII myself.

DrivenConcepts 08-07-2004 10:40 PM

ok i work at circuit city and the installs at our place are relly good. they charge 140 for a full alarm install. i would check big name places like these because they warranty their work. also the 791 is prolly one of the bast you can get. i have the same one but paid ALOT less because i work there.

Flounder 08-07-2004 10:45 PM

Python (Viper)

Python 881XP here.... :_bow:

Considering that Viper, Python, and Clifford are all made by DEI, you're going to find that the brands are almost identical. The Python I have is identical to the Viper 791.

I paid $500 installed; if I remember right, the install has to be done by an authorized dealer or the warranty is void.

The alarm is absolutely great...door / trunk / shock / hood / ignition, and I had remote start installed.

Next step is the proximity sensor...

-Flounder

MegaHurtz 08-08-2004 12:59 AM

Proximity sensor is pointless for a Civic, it's suited for a car like a convertible or Jeep.

If the alarm works proper, then the alarm should be going off long before the prox sensor is tripped.

If anything, go with a glass break sensor, that way your whole interior is covered.

Flounder 08-08-2004 01:04 AM

The problem I'm having is getting the shock sensor to register on light enough taps without having it go off everytime a truck drives by.

For work I have to park for long (12-15 hours) periods in a crowded lot, so I'm trying to find the best solution to keep people away without a ton of false alarms....

MegaHurtz 08-08-2004 01:38 AM

Keep your sensitivity at a level where it goes if you knock in it, but not where it gets tripped with a feather touch. What I try and do is adjust mine so it warns you if somebody tries the door handle lightly, and goes right off if you pull it hard (I get paged both times).

When I try and adjust it so it picks up the passenger side as well it gets too sensitive on the drivers side (which is where the sensor is), so I end up just leaving it balanced to the one side...

Pharoh 08-08-2004 01:39 AM

My alarm was at the point where moisture running down the window in the morning would set it off. The glass tampering mic is very sensitive.

Flounder 08-08-2004 01:52 AM

Nice!

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
What I try and do is adjust mine so it warns you if somebody tries the door handle lightly, and goes right off if you pull it hard (I get paged both times).

That sounds like a great scheme for setting it. It's been pretty tame this summer, but when the students come back to campus things will get a lot busier. I wish I could say everyone was honest and upstanding but I know better.

I didn't worry about the glass break sensor because I figured if someone was smacking it hard enough to break it, the shock sensor should catch it as well.

MegaHurtz 08-08-2004 02:00 AM

There are ways to avoid the shock sensor going off

They are pretty elaborate, but possible none the less

slammedcivic85 08-08-2004 11:43 AM

i drive an 02 civic with a clifford G5 alarm with remote starter on my manual tranny that cost me 600 installed

DVnAFI 08-09-2004 11:42 PM

I bought a Viper 691Xv. Same crap as the 791. Anyways, how do I make the alarm louder? I literally opened my hood, put my head towards the siren thingy, and its not even loud:( I wanna make siren go LOUD!lol. How do I do it???

Mr.Modify 08-09-2004 11:46 PM

I bought a Viper 691Xv. Same crap as the 791. Anyways, how do I make the alarm louder? I literally opened my hood, put my head towards the siren thingy, and its not even loud:( I wanna make siren go LOUD!lol. How do I do it???

your gonna need to get a new siren.......or get your horn tied into it to....or get Air Horns....

DVnAFI 08-09-2004 11:48 PM

theres like no little knob or something? I didnt pay 350 bucks for a silent itty bitty alarm,lol.

Mr.Modify 08-09-2004 11:50 PM

theres like no little knob or something? I didnt pay 350 bucks for a silent itty bitty alarm,lol.

mines the same way ...not sure where the knob is if there is one...im pretty sure he turned it up though cause i know on mine you can adjust it......
you paid for the pager and what not and all that good shit......just buy another ****ing siren....they don't cost much....

is it the 690? i never heard of 691?

Pharoh 08-10-2004 08:16 AM

I put in a 2nd siren for backup but it runs in tandom with my primary. I have a volume control for my primary as well (Intelliguard G4).

I also put a piezo siren INSIDE my car. Any fukcer that's willing to blow a pair of eardrums is welcome to try and steal my head unit.

Benzboy429 08-17-2004 12:21 AM

my alarm is crazy you touch the tire and the alarm goes off and if its touched again the gov of california comes out and kicks your ass