Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/201-suspension-performance-modifications)
-   -   Springs (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/201-suspension-performance-modifications/377632-springs.html)

Derek Sholes 09-07-2019 02:49 AM

Springs

I'm planning on getting my civic lowered. I just need to know how much I should drop for front & rear to be on the safe side from scrapping?

xRiCeBoYx 09-07-2019 10:21 AM

Re: Springs

Conservative 1-1.5" drops usually good to go

what year/trim do you have?

edit: was lowered with tein s-techs for a while on my 2002 (1.3/1.4" lowering F/R) with zero issues. Then I lowered with Tein SS-P coilovers, about 2-3" lowered (lowering is approximate it was about an inch above the lowest adjustment), and had minimal issues. Only scraping I had were on steep driveways and big speedbumps, and even then those scrapes were fairly inconsequential. I was able to take it down a dirt road to a local shooting spot, if that helps at all. It really depends on the kind of roads you're gonna be driving on regularly

mac25 09-07-2019 01:00 PM

The exhaust is the main low point. You can have an exhaust shop weld it up higher, and drop quite low.

You can also run square tubing on the exhaust, if you want it hella flush. (Not the safest for driving around town though, any slight hills/drive ways will scrape)

Derek Sholes 09-07-2019 09:55 PM

Ok. 1.2 in F & 1.5 in R is what I was planning on. Would that be good? I have 14 civic sedan ex.

xRiCeBoYx 09-07-2019 11:28 PM

Looks like twin s-techs will give you about the drop you want. 1.6/1.2 F/R. Couldn't tell you why they drop the rear more, but that's how they spec them, but that's how it is. P/n SKHC8-AUB00. About $200

Eibach pro kit (p/n 4087.140) gives a 1.2/0.7" drop F/R. About $250-300

Derek Sholes 09-11-2019 06:02 PM

Why drop so much for Front?

Derek Sholes 09-11-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx (Post 4766354)
Conservative 1-1.5" drops usually good to go

what year/trim do you have?

edit: was lowered with tein s-techs for a while on my 2002 (1.3/1.4" lowering F/R) with zero issues. Then I lowered with Tein SS-P coilovers, about 2-3" lowered (lowering is approximate it was about an inch above the lowest adjustment), and had minimal issues. Only scraping I had were on steep driveways and big speedbumps, and even then those scrapes were fairly inconsequential. I was able to take it down a dirt road to a local shooting spot, if that helps at all. It really depends on the kind of roads you're gonna be driving on regularly

Ok thx. That's the measurements that I'll will probably go with. I just want to make sure that I have enough gap so that I won't rub.

xRiCeBoYx 09-11-2019 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Sholes (Post 4766517)
Why drop so much for Front?

My guess: because racecar. Lower the front more than the rear forces more air above the car than below the car. Thinking of your car as a wedge, if air is blasting the top more than the bottom, it's gonna kinda produce more downforce. On the flip side, it's gonna create a faster moving stream of air over the top of the car and produce lift (think airplane wing). Honestly, looking at the big picture, it's all for the look. No street modder is really gonna think of it that hardcore.