Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Automatics? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/40542-automatics.html)

noahnoah 06-13-2002 01:18 PM

Automatics?

Is it hopeless to try and get more performance out of an automatic civic. I know it is ideal to have a 5spd. What are the pros and cons if there are any to having an automatic. I want to speed up my car, but what kind of walls if any can I expect to run into? thanx

Voiceofid 06-13-2002 01:20 PM

well, we shift faster than manual....

SLeePeR012 06-13-2002 01:44 PM

Corecction...we shift UP faster, we shift DOWN slower.

sadboy916 06-13-2002 01:54 PM

a civic auto with nitrous v.s a civic stick with nitrous and the auto will win every time they make the most out of the shot

plastic 06-13-2002 02:00 PM

i know there are some fast automatics out there. besides your basic intake, header, and exhaust.. maybe u should invest in a performance chip and possibly NOS.. lots of NOS :)

jungleboogie 06-13-2002 02:50 PM

Quote:

"a civic auto with nitrous v.s a civic stick with nitrous and the auto will win every time they make the most out of the shot "

True True... but i dunno... the auto tranny's weaker than the manual tranny, no? or that's what i heard when i was finding out about turbo... something about blowing my syncros and -ish like that... *shrugs* car jargon that's a couple levels above me... lols

Simkin 06-14-2002 10:43 AM

Automatics have longer gear ratios so they are supposed to have a higher top end. But the automatics have fuel cutoff around 115, whereas the sticks top out at 135 from the physics of motion, with no fuel cutoff. Because the gear ratios of a stick are taller/shorter, they have quicker off-the-line acceleration, (NOT MUCH, but its there)...

With an automatic, you're also stuck with the stock differential, which is one of the most important parts of your car if you are ever considering racing or autocross. Also, nobody out there works on gear ratios for automatics, so you'll have to live with that too. So if you ever do race your car, you're going to have to make up for these downfalls, effectively starting you out on the wrong foot.

If you ever get your car over the 200hp mark, you should start looking at getting your transmission re-inforced by levelten.com. They can also resetup your torque converter to be more efficient, since the stock torque converter is not made for higher hp conditions.

However, as far as forced air induction and engine modifications, anything that is designed for your particular model, should work regardless of transmission type.

SWEET 06-15-2002 09:34 PM

MANUAL NO GOOD

SWEET 06-15-2002 09:35 PM

GET NOS

fraga 06-15-2002 11:07 PM

Manuals = Racing
Automatic = Cruising. One hand on the wheel and one on the booby. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

NickDaMans02Civic 06-16-2002 12:11 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: fraga
Manuals = Racing
Automatic = Cruising. One hand on the wheel and one on the booby. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
LOL well thats one way of looking at it. The only Auto I would have would be on a really expensive Car or SUV Manual the rest of the time.

Nick

Spider883 06-16-2002 12:45 AM

hey Simkin you said autos cut out at 115. well thats not true. only the lx,dx,hx cut off at that speed. ex's have no speed limiter. mine is an auto ex and i have had it to 125mph but i was coming up on cars.

gomez 06-16-2002 03:07 AM

ive had my automatic ex up to 110 and had to slow down cause the car was going a bit airborn.. i was going down hill on a bridge and when i hit the stretchers in the bridge it kinda lifted up a little.

Hefe 06-16-2002 04:58 AM

I just beat a 1998-20xx Accord with my Auto....

we keep reving at each other goin down the road....... he punched it, so did I.......... but I started to pull on him by a lot :)

supYO 06-16-2002 10:48 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: fraga
Manuals = Racing
Automatic = Cruising. One hand on the wheel and one on the booby. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]

hahahhahahahhahahahhahahha ROLLING ON FLOOR RIGHT NOW

Simkin 06-17-2002 10:05 AM

[hr]hey Simkin you said autos cut out at 115. well thats not true. only the lx,dx,hx cut off at that speed. ex's have no speed limiter. mine is an auto ex and i have had it to 125mph but i was coming up on cars. [hr]
If you have over or under sized tires it could affect your speedometer....

Actually its all irrelavent really, mechanical speedometers start to get exponentially way-off after you hit 70mph, anyone that rides motorcycles would know this...

But even downhill with the wind I cannot get above 115 on the factory speedometer, with my EX-Auto and 215/45-WZR17's...

]SiMKiN[