Automatics? - Honda Civic Forum

Parts and Products
Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2002   #1
Registered!!

noahnoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatics?

Is it hopeless to try and get more performance out of an automatic civic. I know it is ideal to have a 5spd. What are the pros and cons if there are any to having an automatic. I want to speed up my car, but what kind of walls if any can I expect to run into? thanx
noahnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002   #2
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
well, we shift faster than manual....
Voiceofid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002   #3
Registered!!

SLeePeR012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Corecction...we shift UP faster, we shift DOWN slower.
SLeePeR012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002   #4
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
a civic auto with nitrous v.s a civic stick with nitrous and the auto will win every time they make the most out of the shot
sadboy916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002   #5
Registered!!

plastic is an unknown quantity at this point
i know there are some fast automatics out there. besides your basic intake, header, and exhaust.. maybe u should invest in a performance chip and possibly NOS.. lots of NOS
plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002   #6
Registered!!

jungleboogie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

"a civic auto with nitrous v.s a civic stick with nitrous and the auto will win every time they make the most out of the shot "

True True... but i dunno... the auto tranny's weaker than the manual tranny, no? or that's what i heard when i was finding out about turbo... something about blowing my syncros and -ish like that... *shrugs* car jargon that's a couple levels above me... lols
jungleboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002   #7
Registered!!

Simkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatics have longer gear ratios so they are supposed to have a higher top end. But the automatics have fuel cutoff around 115, whereas the sticks top out at 135 from the physics of motion, with no fuel cutoff. Because the gear ratios of a stick are taller/shorter, they have quicker off-the-line acceleration, (NOT MUCH, but its there)...

With an automatic, you're also stuck with the stock differential, which is one of the most important parts of your car if you are ever considering racing or autocross. Also, nobody out there works on gear ratios for automatics, so you'll have to live with that too. So if you ever do race your car, you're going to have to make up for these downfalls, effectively starting you out on the wrong foot.

If you ever get your car over the 200hp mark, you should start looking at getting your transmission re-inforced by levelten.com. They can also resetup your torque converter to be more efficient, since the stock torque converter is not made for higher hp conditions.

However, as far as forced air induction and engine modifications, anything that is designed for your particular model, should work regardless of transmission type.
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002   #8
Registered!!

SWEET is an unknown quantity at this point
MANUAL NO GOOD
SWEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002   #9
Registered!!

SWEET is an unknown quantity at this point
GET NOS
SWEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002   #10
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Manuals = Racing
Automatic = Cruising. One hand on the wheel and one on the booby. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
fraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002   #11
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
[hr]Originally posted by: fraga
Manuals = Racing
Automatic = Cruising. One hand on the wheel and one on the booby. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
LOL well thats one way of looking at it. The only Auto I would have would be on a really expensive Car or SUV Manual the rest of the time.

Nick
NickDaMans02Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002   #12
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
hey Simkin you said autos cut out at 115. well thats not true. only the lx,dx,hx cut off at that speed. ex's have no speed limiter. mine is an auto ex and i have had it to 125mph but i was coming up on cars.
Spider883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002   #13
Registered!!

gomez is an unknown quantity at this point
ive had my automatic ex up to 110 and had to slow down cause the car was going a bit airborn.. i was going down hill on a bridge and when i hit the stretchers in the bridge it kinda lifted up a little.
gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002   #14
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
I just beat a 1998-20xx Accord with my Auto....

we keep reving at each other goin down the road....... he punched it, so did I.......... but I started to pull on him by a lot
Hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002   #15
Registered!!

supYO is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
[hr]Originally posted by: fraga
Manuals = Racing
Automatic = Cruising. One hand on the wheel and one on the booby. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]

hahahhahahahhahahahhahahha ROLLING ON FLOOR RIGHT NOW
supYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002   #16
Registered!!

Simkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
[hr]hey Simkin you said autos cut out at 115. well thats not true. only the lx,dx,hx cut off at that speed. ex's have no speed limiter. mine is an auto ex and i have had it to 125mph but i was coming up on cars. [hr]
If you have over or under sized tires it could affect your speedometer....

Actually its all irrelavent really, mechanical speedometers start to get exponentially way-off after you hit 70mph, anyone that rides motorcycles would know this...

But even downhill with the wind I cannot get above 115 on the factory speedometer, with my EX-Auto and 215/45-WZR17's...

]SiMKiN[
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote