Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Rods?????? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/39879-rods.html)

SilverBUll8 06-09-2002 06:42 PM

Rods??????

Ok I know there are posts about Pistons and Rods. I know where to get Pistons from but where do i get rods from? the same people and how much?

Thanks for the info.

S

greg2k1 06-09-2002 07:22 PM

Just curious? How come your looking for rods?

SilverBUll8 06-09-2002 07:43 PM

Well dont know alot about cars. Not yet anyways. I want to buy pistons dont i need contecting rods? Cause I a'm bout to get Nitrous (THere for all you fools that dont like people to say NOS for short [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]) And i want to beef up my car alil bit so that it wont kill my car. So if anyone can tell me the info i need.

S

black2k1vtec 06-09-2002 08:05 PM

depends on the amount of N2O you will be injecting. If more than 75, you will need alot of things, forged pistons, rods, balanced, blueprinted, clutch, lower cr, injectors, pump, rail, ecu, VAFC, Cam, springs, and many other things to make your motor strong enough for lots of Laughing gas.

Learn more about cars before you go nuts with the "NAWZ"

htowncivicEX 06-10-2002 01:23 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: SilverBUll8
Well dont know alot about cars. Not yet anyways. I want to buy pistons dont i need contecting rods? Cause I a'm bout to get Nitrous (THere for all you fools that dont like people to say NOS for short [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]) And i want to beef up my car alil bit so that it wont kill my car. So if anyone can tell me the info i need.

S[hr]
Nitrous is pretty stressful on the pistons, so if you plan on running nitrous for any lengthy period of time or if you want to run a large amount (greater than a 50 shot), you should think about getting forged pistons. For serious nitrous apps, rods are also a good idea, but upgrading the pistons should be your first priority if you're serious about squirting. Note that this a little different than a turbocharger scenario, in which case you would be looking at upgrading your entire block (pistons, rods, sleeves, etc.)

To answer your original question - Probe, Eagle, and Crower are three manufactures that make aftermarket rods. To my knowledge, they don't produce any off-the-shelf rods for the EM Civic, but I'm sure they'd be happy to make some custom ones for you for the right $$.

LJ 06-10-2002 01:42 AM

I've always wondered, will beefing up your internals provide any power increase?

01civ01 06-10-2002 02:01 AM

internals are expensive, crower told me $3600 for a stroker kit (rods, pistons, bearings, and factory crank) not worth it for the gains you will get.

SilverBUll8 06-10-2002 01:13 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: 01civ01
internals are expensive, crower told me $3600 for a stroker kit (rods, pistons, bearings, and factory crank) not worth it for the gains you will get.[hr]
Is that all the stuff i need to beef up my car so that the nitrous wont hurt to bad [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] for the engine part. I know i will need a new clucth and stuff.

AEMcivic 06-10-2002 05:39 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: LJ
I've always wondered, will beefing up your internals provide any power increase?[hr]
It probably won't give you any more HP, but it will be able to handle more HP. (if that makes any sense)
For example, if you have a turbo on a stock engine, you may only be able to run 4 or 5 lbs of boost safely. But when you upgrade your internals, you can run more boost, which creates more HP. And with Nitrous, most people will tell you not to run more than a 50 shot (+50hp) on a stock motor. But depending on how much you upgrade your internals, you may be able to run a 75 or 100 shot. So basically, I guess what I'm trying to say is....if you upgrade your internals, you'll be able to produce more HP before you blow your motor.