Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Increasing Top Speed (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/38249-increasing-top-speed.html)

Sosojef 05-29-2002 06:54 PM

I can't believe people are still lecturing about this. Would you all stop it already. To all the so called old adults in this forum, yea I'm young but thats no reason to be calling me a kid. This is a question. I only wanted some answers and please enough with the flames.

Sosojef 05-29-2002 06:59 PM

To those who never had road rage or ever got mad because they got cut off, cast the first stone. Yea i bet you will all say that you never did. And everybody for the last time, the freeway had no cars whatsoever. So yea I would have died alone. Like you people really care about my life.:shake:

SpacemanBob 05-29-2002 07:08 PM

Well I'll speak for myself....

First of all I do not know how to do what you wish, or else I would have answered your question before the "lecture"
I am also a "young kid", I'm just turning 17 two days from now!

Also, I DO care about your life and the lives of others, or else I wouldn't have said anything.

The fact remains that laws were instituted for a purpose, and you should follow those laws. If you want to race, go to the track.

BTW: YES i get pissed off when someone cuts me off, and it's people like you trying to go as fast as they can that are the ones that usually do it.
ALSO: No, i personally have NOT gone racing at a track in my civic, but I don't race on the streets either, I've never gone more than 10-15 over, do don't go there.

Bartkat 05-29-2002 07:12 PM

<< To those who never had road rage or ever got mad because they got cut off, cast the first stone. Yea i bet you will all say that you never did. And everybody for the last time, the freeway had no cars whatsoever. So yea I would have died alone. Like you people really care about my life.:shake: >>

Don't worry about it. Some folks will take any opportunity to lecture. Some may even be facetious about it. I'm 62, and have driven well over 150 MPH on public roads. But, I only do that when there is a clear road ahead, and after I have passed any other traffic. I had Z rated tires and always kept my car in top condion and was wide awake and sober when I did so. If I go off the road and roll or hit a tree, I am the only one who is hurt or killed. If I get caught, I'm the one who goes to jail. "Felony speeding". So I;m a llaw breaker, a desperado, so what?

Road safety is only as good as the driver. Most of the people out there don't even realize where they are or what's going on around them most of the time. That's why you see so many mini vans and SUV's going slow in the passing lane. That's far more dangerous than going a little over the speed limit.

I say that these lectures may have their place, but not on a board dedicated partly to improving the performance of our cars. Why talk about, actually do performance mods if you aren't going to use them?

WhiteRabbit 05-29-2002 09:36 PM

use them at the strip, use them at teh track. he isnt gonna go to either, ever.

Mbow 05-29-2002 10:15 PM

<<

<< what kind of horn do you have? >>

It's a Fllam Highway Blaster High note. I think it cost 10 or $12 at Advance Auto parts. I want to also get the Low note and try to tie them in parallel. Supposed to be 120 Decibles the way it is now.

sounds much better than the little "beep beep" OE horn.
>>

I have the same one! It's 2x as loud as the stock horn. I might go for an air-horn next though.

FamilyMan: All you do is clip the stock connector off that goes to the horn. Then, just put one of those wire connector things on the end of it. There's nothing to it. If you buy the horn, you will see how it easy it is. It only takes 5min at the most.

Bartkat 05-29-2002 10:41 PM

<< use them at the strip, use them at teh track. he isnt gonna go to either, ever. >>

I pay all kinds of taxes that go to building and maintaing roads, and as long as I don't endanger anyone else, I figure I have the right to drive fast when I want to.

Bartkat 05-29-2002 10:42 PM

Mbow

Yeah, the louder the better, when driving these little cars.

devilvtec 05-29-2002 11:53 PM

well said, rabbit,bob and civic :tup:

speedracersong 05-30-2002 12:02 AM

i maxed out my auto lx on the way to cache creek!
theres this 15 mile long road, no cops 2 lanes both ways.
everyone has to max out at least one for the fun of it :susp:

Bartkat 05-30-2002 12:05 AM

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Bartkat 05-30-2002 12:07 AM

My EX automatic tops out at about 124. I don't think it will pull to the rev limiter in top gear.

Sosojef 05-30-2002 12:20 AM

<< use them at the strip, use them at teh track. he isnt gonna go to either, ever. >>

eh first of all, you don't know me or what I do. So yea read that over and over till you get it in your head. And bartkat thanks for understanding me. Hey I'm just trying to have fun in this miserable world.

WhiteRabbit 05-30-2002 12:57 AM

your fun is endangering my life. and feel free not to make unrelated personal comments.

good luck with your rev limiter tho =/

SpacemanBob 05-30-2002 03:44 PM

Wow bart..... I pay taxes to the government too, you think I could have a slumber party in the white house? Maybe I could go play elevator tag in the pentagon....
Don't be stupid.
You aren't paying taxes ON the roads, you are paying taxes on things like how much money you make, etc. Your taxes don't go directly to road improvement, they go to wherever the govt wants. Just cause you are paying like 1/1,000,000 of the amount of money it takes to pay for upkeep on roads doesn't entitle you to break laws and endanger others' lives!

You and sosojef are the people my parents told me about when they said that they weren't scared that I would cause an accident, but that I would get into an accident because of someone else's negligence.

PLEASE don't drive like an idiot, there's so many downsides, and if you really want to you SHOULD go to some kind of raceway and do it there.

Yes, these forums are dedicated to improving our cars, but not at the possible cost of people's lives. Just because your cars goes faster doesn't neccissarily mean you will endanger people. The people who USE this ability on public roads that other people who DON'T expect you to be doing it are the ones that endanger people...

Mbow 05-30-2002 04:09 PM

Bottom line is that people can do and drive as fast as they please in their own cars. Of course those actions can carry severe consequences. Other than that, if you have a problem with how people drive their cars, become a police officer or just stay the hell out of the left lane!

SpacemanBob 05-30-2002 05:21 PM

Mbow - first of all, please don't take this personally, I'm just calling them as I seem them.

Your "method" (if you can call it that) of dealing with this problem is very passive, and very unlikely to do anything. The more and more I hear about people getting killed by stupid people, the more it upsets me; I am trying to take an active approach at dealing with the problem. And I know that I'm not gonna be able to stop all morons from driving like morons on one little forum, but if my posts convince just ONE person to not speed, and that prevents just ONE death, or even ONE accident, than I'm happy.

Mbow 05-30-2002 05:27 PM

You sound like Mr. Rogers! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Ya, I was being passive as I don't feel like getting into a discussion going back and forth on this issue. Anyhow, I made my point above.

SpacemanBob 05-30-2002 07:26 PM

you sound like some 19 year old punk that thinks he will live forever and thinks he is above the law... that's not cool :tdown:

Bartkat 05-30-2002 08:25 PM

"Wow bart..... I pay taxes to the government too, you think I could have a slumber party in the white house? Maybe I could go play elevator tag in the pentagon....
Don't be stupid.
You aren't paying taxes ON the roads, you are paying taxes on things like how much money you make, etc. Your taxes don't go directly to road improvement, they go to wherever the govt wants. Just cause you are paying like 1/1,000,000 of the amount of money it takes to pay for upkeep on roads doesn't entitle you to break laws and endanger others' lives!"

Listen up, space cadet. Read what I said about all that and then if you have the balls, come back and aplogize for the name calling and flaming.

When speed kills, it's 95 times out of 100 that the person causing the accident was either driving above their ability and not using good sense. Look, I've been drivinging since before you were a gleam in your old man's eye, and possibly before he was even born, and have never ever been involved in a two vehicle accident, or even a one vehicle accident, on the road.

If you want to lecture people on speeding, tell someone else. I am not going to sit here and allow you to talk to me, a diamond member, like a red headed step child.

SpacemanBob 05-30-2002 09:09 PM

I appologize for anything that any of you may have regarded as disrespectful in any way. My intent was not to call names or flame, but to inform and discuss, and I do appologive for that.

Although, your last comment does make you sound a bit concieted ("me, a diamond member"), I'm not holding anything like that against you, the only thing i dislike about you is your aparant disrespect for the law and for others.

I'll bet if you asked people that got into accidents, 100 out of 100 would tell you that they thought they knew what they were doing, and thought that they could handle their car while doing whatever they were doing.

Just so you all know, I won't spend any more time here "lecturing" on speeding, but I will continue to respond to posts that are directed towards me.

Bartkat 05-30-2002 09:15 PM

Good enough.

When you read stuff like "you can't talk to me, a diamond member", think sarcasm and irony. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Mbow 05-30-2002 09:20 PM

<< you sound like some 19 year old punk that thinks he will live forever and thinks he is above the law... that's not cool :tdown: >>

Bartkat 05-30-2002 09:25 PM

" Nope. I am almost 25, married, have a daughter, and will graduate from the UNCC in December with a B.S.B.A. in Management."

Hey, and besides that, you're a DIAMOND MEMBER".
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Bartkat 05-30-2002 09:26 PM

Here's a really big clue.

Words like:

moron

idiot

jerk

punk

and others of the type, just tend to piss people off, no matter what your message.

Mbow 05-30-2002 09:33 PM

I don't like this type of stuff so I am going to leave it alone!

Sosojef 05-31-2002 03:19 AM

wow this thread got lots of replies. OK ok I'll think twice about driving at high speeds.

merz 06-04-2002 04:21 PM

I love & hate these forums... too much name calling & childish bullsh*t mixed in with the small tidbits of useful info... anyway... I don't think our cars will go anyway near rev limiter in 5th on a stock or near stock engine and maybe not even in 4th gear so finding a way to remove it to increase top speed is a waste - AND it will protect your engine in those lower gears that will actually reach the rev limit.

One of the things I always liked about small displacement cars like these is that you can run through all the gears (manual trans) and need to to get max performance out of them going from point A to point B. Drive a big old V8 car and shifting is a joke on normal roads.. you can literally go from 1st to 5th and skip all the others grears... boring. boring.

Mbow 06-04-2002 08:40 PM

I pulled all the way to 7800k today in 4th gear on the freeway. I shifted to 5th to keep going though. I am certain you can hit it in 4th, but not a chance in hay that 5th could.

Edit: 6800k, not 7800-----I wish, DOH!

WhiteRabbit 06-04-2002 09:06 PM

there is a 500 rpm difference in 4th and 5th. if you can do it in 4th, chances are you can do it in 5th.

as for me, my car will do about 105 or so in 3rd gear, and seeing as my speed govenor is 112, well, you can see i have no chance in hell of reaching redline in 4th or 5th. even without a speed govenor my tires would go and id be dead before i hit redline in 4th or 5th.