Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   05lx,front rotors phillips screws, stuck stuck (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/313755-05lx-front-rotors-phillips-screws-stuck-stuck.html)

hardboil 01-07-2009 06:41 PM

05lx,front rotors phillips screws, stuck stuck

hiya

Im just trying to take out the Front HUB to replace the bearing, Im stuck with these phillips head screws, they are stuck in there and afraid the screw head is almost wasted. I put some wd40 on the outside just in case and try with a screwdriver first and then a dewalt drill, the drill doest move it and the heads are almost gone now.

I need tips on this, i have the wheel off and brakes and no car to move, I'm riding a bicycle heh.:hithead:

popee 01-07-2009 07:06 PM

Re: 05lx,front rotors phillips screws, stuck stuck

I think you need a impact screwdriver.. to take off the screw on the rotors http://evergreen-rentals.com/images/...r%20Impact.jpg gotta bang the top of the screwdriver while turning the screwdriver

DDragon7 01-07-2009 07:08 PM

If the impact screw driver doenst work, you'll need to drill them out. And dont put them back in, you dont need it, they only hold the rotors in place at the manufacturing plant.

hardboil 01-07-2009 07:31 PM

thanks both of you, will try tomorrow.

I was just thinking i will also have problem taking off the spindle lock nut, it have a lock dent on it and im not sure which tool to use for this

04 Honda Civic 01-07-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hardboil (Post 4376682)
thanks both of you, will try tomorrow.

I was just thinking i will also have problem taking off the spindle lock nut, it have a lock dent on it and im not sure which tool to use for this

Use the impact driver mentioned above if that dont work heat them ****ers up and try it that way when they are hot. I had a hard time taking em out to change my rotors. As for that huge lock nut you can use a small head screw driver to pry it up as well as putting it back on.

gearbox 01-08-2009 12:30 PM

they have extraction bits at sears that may work too if its stripped, but its gonna have to be an impact. theres just too tight to get out by hand.

hardboil 01-08-2009 07:08 PM

WoW no go. I broke the phillips bits and the drill even smoke and no luck, the screws are solder into the rotors. I tried hitting it with a hammer and screwdriver and is like nothing happens. I dont know what else to do with this maybe theres some other special tools?

Yeah impact, i need to look for a impact drill? no sure which one is the correct one for this

TRIZ 01-08-2009 09:38 PM

Its an impact screwdriver. You wack the back of it with a hammer and the screwdirver does a forceful 1/4 turn which will break those screws out of their rust. Heating them up wont do shit for you. Its all the heating and cooling from your breaks that got them suck in place like they are. And they arent soldered in there... you just need to pick up the special tool... an impact screwdriver.... like everyone has been telling you!!

hardboil 01-09-2009 12:47 AM

Where i can find these impact screwdrivers at?

jgcentury 01-09-2009 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by DDragon7 (Post 4376668)
If the impact screw driver doenst work, you'll need to drill them out. And dont put them back in, you dont need it, they only hold the rotors in place at the manufacturing plant.

This is your answer right here. Get a drill bit and just drill straight through the middle of them bastards till they break. I had to do the same thing cause mine stripped out. Like DDragon said, they are unnecessary, just there to keep them from falling off on the assembly line workers toes or heads. If your drill bits or drill can't make it through these tiny ass screws, you need to buy new tools.

popee 01-09-2009 01:23 PM

you can go to go your local auto part store they are some 20-100
depending if you want to cheap stuff or the good stuff

hardboil;4377067]Where i can find these impact screwdrivers at?

jgcentury 01-09-2009 03:11 PM

Did you get them out yet?

rednek 01-09-2009 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jgcentury (Post 4377068)
This is your answer right here. Get a drill bit and just drill straight through the middle of them bastards till they break. I had to do the same thing cause mine stripped out. Like DDragon said, they are unnecessary, just there to keep them from falling off on the assembly line workers toes or heads. If your drill bits or drill can't make it through these tiny ass screws, you need to buy new tools.

Agreed. I tried the impact screw driver but they weren't havin any of that! $40 for some good drill bits and some time later there was nothing left of the screws, and off came the rotors.

hardboil 02-09-2009 11:13 AM

Problem solved, i got everything out the other day with the same drill. thanks all for helping