Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Annoying Squeaking Noise (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/346576-annoying-squeaking-noise.html)

SlimRisk 01-26-2012 05:22 PM

Annoying Squeaking Noise

Alright so just the other day my front drivers side started making a pulsing squeaking noise. It doesn't get faster with speed and doesn't squeak at a consistent rate. The guy at autozone said its bushings. Didnt say what kind just bushings. Any input?

wheladan3 01-26-2012 07:50 PM

Re: Annoying Squeaking Noise

Does it change when braking, turning, or going over bumps? Is it a rubber squeak or a metallic squeak/

SlimRisk 01-26-2012 07:52 PM

I believe it's a metallic squeak. And it seems to be the same no matter what

wheladan3 01-26-2012 08:28 PM

First I would check all control arm bolts and all the subframe bolts, do not just look try tightening all. Also it would help if you can tell when you here the noise, ie bumps, turning, decel, accel, and if it happens if the right wheel hits a bump and you still hear it on the left side.

ezone 01-26-2012 10:10 PM

Brake pad squealers (wear indicators)??

SlimRisk 01-26-2012 10:29 PM

@ezone it's not a high pitched squeak like brakes, but more like a stress squeak or metal on metal as if a bushing was broken. I will check all bushings tomorrow night

ezone 01-26-2012 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by SlimRisk (Post 4585195)
The guy at autozone said its bushings. Didnt say what kind just bushings. Any input?

You trustin a ChinaZone flunky?
Last week he was askin "You want that Soopersized???"

ChinaZone: Whatever they sell is what you need!
If they don't sell it, you don't need it!

/No input from me, just snickers.

Bulletins
01-054 Lower coils of the front springs contact one another
03-039 Lower control arm front bushing

It's over 10 years old, a lot can happen. Body noises?

BlueEM2 01-27-2012 12:29 AM

Im betting on the lower control arm bushings... I find it kind of odd though because they generally make noise when turning or running over bumps. Another thing to check is to make sure the dust shield is not rubbing on the rotor. hmmmm...

SlimRisk 01-27-2012 09:15 AM

It seems like it stops when I turn or when im braking. Only happens when im going in a straight line

wheladan3 01-27-2012 09:33 AM

If it makes noise on a smooth straight road then possible wheelbearing(that could let rotor contact the backing plate) or the caliper bracket.

04 Honda Civic 01-27-2012 11:57 AM

Spray the top of your struts with some penetrating oil. Sometimes the rubber up there gets dry and worn. This is what my problem was. This is really only a temporary solution until you can change the rubber on the tophats. Or replace them all together.

BlueEM2 01-28-2012 05:35 AM

^ Good call, I forgot about them.

SlimRisk 01-28-2012 01:29 PM

Well here's the verdict. Went under my car and all bushings and joints look good. except my passenger ball joint D:< I guess I gotta save up for that next. anyways I found that my driver intake manifold brace unbolted from the manifold, swung down, and was rubbin up on the axle. Also saw my sway bar brackets were missing one bolt on each of the two brackets. Wtff?? But the problems all solved :D

ezone 01-28-2012 01:35 PM

Wow. Who has been working on your car?

04 Honda Civic 01-28-2012 02:30 PM

Yea, doesnt sound like a normal thing to me. Sounds more like SOMEONE rather then SOMETHING.

SlimRisk 01-28-2012 03:18 PM

My bad. Guess i didnt tighten down those down 100% WOT mustve lossened it... Damn

04 Honda Civic 01-28-2012 07:12 PM

You were the last one to do the work?

Double check your wheels, dont want them flying off on the highway :lol:

ezone 01-28-2012 07:40 PM

Buy, learn, and use a torque wrench?

SlimRisk 01-29-2012 12:27 AM

Lol okay it's a simple thing I overlooked. I make sure to always double and triple check my work because I drive on the highway quite often

ezone 01-29-2012 12:36 AM

But you said a few hours ago.....

anyways I found that my driver intake manifold brace unbolted from the manifold, swung down, and was rubbin up on the axle. Also saw my sway bar brackets were missing one bolt on each of the two brackets.
Now you say.....

Originally Posted by SlimRisk (Post 4585500)
Lol okay it's a simple thing I overlooked. I make sure to always double and triple check my work because I drive on the highway quite often

Liar.
What, you just now started triple-double checking your work this evening?
LOL

Man, if I did work like that, I wouldn't have any real customers left.
I would have to bribe the AAA tow truck drivers to drag dead ones in off the interstate to me. Then they'd be trapped like rats, I could keep the cars for 6 weeks while I install self-destruct parts. Muahahahaha.

BlueEM2 01-29-2012 05:21 AM

Now Now. At least he is willing to do the work himself. A lot of people on here take it somewhere!

ezone 01-29-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by BlueEM2 (Post 4585519)
Now Now. At least he is willing to do the work himself. A lot of people on here take it somewhere!

True.
Hey, I wrote LOL in there....I wasn't really trying to be harsh.
You didn't catch the reference to the "Legal Advice? Help Needed. Calling all Members" thread?

SlimRisk 01-29-2012 12:52 PM

@ezone I caught that reference lol good one

04 Honda Civic 01-29-2012 01:11 PM

Lol I got it as well, still harsh.

Anyway, just becareful you seriously need to double check your work.
If I am doing something on my car, I check shit over and over even if I KNOW I got it right.
Its the beauty of working on your car the amount of detail you can pay attention to because your not getting paid per job.

ezone 01-29-2012 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic (Post 4585567)
Lol I got it as well, still harsh.

Anyway, just becareful you seriously need to double check your work.
If I am doing something on my car, I check shit over and over even if I KNOW I got it right.
Its the beauty of working on your car the amount of detail you can pay attention to because your not getting paid per job.

Come on, wasn't the LOL good enough?
Dang, tough crowd in here.

Hey, if *I* screw something up I get to do it over for free. It behooves me to do it right the first time. That's the way my pay plan works.

If I have to fix someone elses' problem, their time sheet gets docked to pay me for mine.