Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015)
-   -   B24 service code. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015/368199-b24-service-code.html)

Buell13 08-23-2016 04:31 PM

B24 service code.

Hi new guy here. 2012 civic - Trying to catch up on my girlfriends Honda services. It has a b24 service code. I looked it up and looks pretty basic I'm just confused about the timing chain. My understanding is that the newer ones don't need to be replaced like the older ones. Is there anythimg i need to do with the chain, lube/tighten ect? Or us it just on there from the older Hondas?
Thank you for your help!

Buell13 08-23-2016 05:39 PM

Re: B24 service code.

Originally Posted by Buell13 (Post 4712303)
Hi new guy here. 2012 civic - Trying to catch up on my girlfriends Honda services. It has a b24 service code. I looked it up and looks pretty basic I'm just confused about the timing chain. My understanding is that the newer ones don't need to be replaced like the older ones. Is there anythimg i need to do with the chain, lube/tighten ect? Or us it just on there from the older Hondas?
Thank you for your help!

Sorry i just picked up the car and its B124

ezone 08-23-2016 06:37 PM

B124 maint items.....is explained in your owners manual.
B: Oil change, thorough inspections,
1: rotate tires, (If needed) check brakes
2: replace filter set, (if needed) and inspections
4: Spark plug set (if needed). Use exactly what the factory put in there, don't cheap out.

#4 comes up around 100k miles.

If you don't know anything about the service history, I'd strongly suggest replace the trans fluid (HONDA FLUID ONLY) and since the car is at 100,000 miles it is probably time for a coolant service (again HONDA coolant)...(maybe your sticker will say 120k, I can't remember which) '

and brake fluid flush (every 3 years)

The engine does not have a timing belt, it has a timing chain.
Normally the chain does not ever need serviced, BUT if oil maintenance is neglected the chain can suffer wear.

Buell13 08-23-2016 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4712310)
B124 maint items.....is explained in your owners manual.
B: Oil change, thorough inspections,
1: rotate tires, (If needed) check brakes
2: replace filter set, (if needed) and inspections
4: Spark plug set (if needed). Use exactly what the factory put in there, don't cheap out.

#4 comes up around 100k miles.

If you don't know anything about the service history, I'd strongly suggest replace the trans fluid (HONDA FLUID ONLY) and since the car is at 100,000 miles it is probably time for a coolant service (again HONDA coolant)...(maybe your sticker will say 120k, I can't remember which) '

and brake fluid flush (every 3 years)

The engine does not have a timing belt, it has a timing chain.
Normally the chain does not ever need serviced, BUT if oil maintenance is neglected the chain can suffer wear.

Thank you ezone!! One last question, should i check the valve clearance or im ok if it doesnt make any funny sounds? I cant do that part myself
Thanks

ezone 08-23-2016 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Buell13 (Post 4712312)
Thank you ezone!! One last question, should i check the valve clearance or im ok if it doesnt make any funny sounds? I cant do that part myself
Thanks

If you wish.

Keep in mind:
Loose valves make noise.
Tight valves don't make noise.
Tight valves can cause a variety of problems...but worst of all, tight valves can burn.

At the shop we try to suggest it as a 100k maintenance item, but it sure seems like very few people go for it.
It seems rare to actually see issues caused by it these days, but occasionally it does happen.