Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   Man, i dont like the underside of my car! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/294623-man-i-dont-like-underside-my-car.html)

LT2004ever 05-11-2007 07:46 PM

Man, i dont like the underside of my car!

Ok, just recently i decided to try to install my rotors and hawk pads, and i ran into a problem! this is not the first time i ran into a problem:help: on the underside of my car either. Like there are 2 screws that keep the rotor on and the DIY sez use a impact screwdriver, cause of rust, and to let it soak in WD40 so thats what i did. But those blasted screws will not come off!:hithead: and it sux! gah... :-bs: time to take it somewhere to get it fixed and installed... crap:_disgust:

1st with my RSX sway bar install one of the endlinks wouldn't come off at all, now my stinkin rotors can be removed... man im just having all sorts of problems:shake: ... stinking underside! i wish i could get a entirely new underbody ya know...:mad:

MisterFrankieJ 05-11-2007 07:56 PM

Re: Man, i dont like the underside of my car!

It wouldn't be any fun if it was easy.

beadebaserr 05-11-2007 08:08 PM

i'm really anal about having a clean car, even the underside. haha.

get some stands for your car, jack it up and rest it on the stands and get under there with a wire brush and start going to town on the rust. then get some kind of cleaner like simple green or something stronger if its all super bad, spray it all down and let it soak, go to an automatic car wash that sprays under the body and let it do it's job. then go home, jack it back up, dry everything, get some rubber undercoating and apply appropriately. now you'll have an ace underbody. haha.

sl33pyriceboi 05-11-2007 08:30 PM

are u using an IMPACT SCREW DRIVER to take the two screws out???

try getting some Screw loosener spray...you can get it at autozone...it is like WD40, but it actually eats away at the dust n rust n makes ur screw come out like butter =]

if it works, +1 for james wooooooooot

btw, make sure ur using a IMPACT SCREW DRIVER

tuner04civic 05-11-2007 08:33 PM

i had the same issues but for other partsnow my best friend is a baker bar. for the screws just clean up rust put screwdriver in there snug and hammer it lightly to loosen the screw and get the snug fit with screwdriver

gearbox 05-11-2007 08:37 PM

use pb blaster. wd40 is outdated and useless.

beadebaserr 05-11-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4188241)
use pb blaster. wd40 is outdated and useless.

quoted for truth.

chawski 05-11-2007 09:37 PM

when we were installing my fogs, we put my car up on a lift to make it easier to run wires. I got really depressed when I realized there are anorexic girls with wider arms than my exhaust. Stock exhaust is seriously the diameter of 4 pencils taped together

DJ GEE 05-11-2007 10:24 PM

If you can find BG penetrating fluid. They will loosen, then when you put them back on clean the screws and put some antisieze on them.

vacivic2005 05-11-2007 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by beadebaserr (Post 4188224)

get some stands for your car, jack it up and rest it on the stands and get under there with a wire brush and start going to town on the rust. then get some kind of cleaner like simple green or something stronger if its all super bad, spray it all down and let it soak, go to an automatic car wash that sprays under the body and let it do it's job. then go home, jack it back up, dry everything, get some rubber undercoating and apply appropriately. now you'll have an ace underbody. haha.

wtf does this have anything to do with the topic?

OP - if you stripped them, drill them out, that's what i had to do. yeah i know, it sucks, :( i had to do this too

LT2004ever 05-11-2007 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by beadebaserr (Post 4188224)

See its not like rust just in the under body, its just mainly all the screws and bolts that i come across... i swear when i have in mind imma work on something, i swear that screw or bolt just seizes up and doesn't budge...

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4188236)
are u using an IMPACT SCREW DRIVER to take the two screws out???

try getting some Screw loosener spray...you can get it at autozone...it is like WD40, but it actually eats away at the dust n rust n makes ur screw come out like butter =]

if it works, +1 for james wooooooooot

btw, make sure ur using a IMPACT SCREW DRIVER

Yeah i am using a impact screwdriver, im positive. screw loosener spray...

Originally Posted by tuner04civic (Post 4188237)
i had the same issues but for other partsnow my best friend is a baker bar. for the screws just clean up rust put screwdriver in there snug and hammer it lightly to loosen the screw and get the snug fit with screwdriver

thats exactly what i did, i cleaned up all the rust around it, then hammered lightly while turning...no movement.

Originally Posted by chawski (Post 4188262)
when we were installing my fogs, we put my car up on a lift to make it easier to run wires. I got really depressed when I realized there are anorexic girls with wider arms than my exhaust. Stock exhaust is seriously the diameter of 4 pencils taped together

umm... just wondering why u are talking about your exaust?? like just cause its on the underside of your car.... or... ummm:shrug:

DaMadScientist 05-12-2007 12:25 AM

just keep hit the impact screw driver, make sure its turning the right way, you might be actually tightening it, mine came off with 4-5 good wacks, and i mean good with a rubber mallet

LT2004ever 05-12-2007 01:14 AM

i'll try it again tomorrow morning with some PB blaster, or BG penetrate

metalviper 05-12-2007 01:32 AM

wtf?

neways...gl i hope i dont encounter this when i finally install my rotors

speedfoos 05-12-2007 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by DaMadScientist (Post 4188294)
just keep hit the impact screw driver, make sure its turning the right way, you might be actually tightening it, mine came off with 4-5 good wacks, and i mean good with a rubber mallet

Yup, I can't tell you how many times I've tightened my screws down with my impact screwdriver. You don't have to turn it, the hammer blows will do that, its how its designed. Just carefully (so you don't mash your fingers) whack the crap out of it and they will come loose. I used my trusty Eastwing steel hammer.

Another tip. Don't put the screws back on when you put your new rotors on. They're irrelevant and only there to hold the rotors on during assembly at the plant. Your wheels and lugnuts hold the rotors on. Honda is one of the only manufacturers that have those screws. Most everyone else doesn't.

LT2004ever 05-12-2007 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by speedfoos (Post 4188307)
Yup, I can't tell you how many times I've tightened my screws down with my impact screwdriver. You don't have to turn it, the hammer blows will do that, its how its designed. Just carefully (so you don't mash your fingers) whack the crap out of it and they will come loose. I used my trusty Eastwing steel hammer.

Another tip. Don't put the screws back on when you put your new rotors on. They're irrelevant and only there to hold the rotors on during assembly at the plant. Your wheels and lugnuts hold the rotors on. Honda is one of the only manufacturers that have those screws. Most everyone else doesn't.

Thanks for the info man :), but yeah the impact screwdriver was set to counter clockwise... then i read the DIY and thats what it said CCW then i also turned just add a little umph.. ya know...

DaMadScientist 05-12-2007 08:37 AM

yea counterclockwise is good, just some FYI, the impact screwdriver is only meant to turn the screw a few millimeters, just so it loosens.

cato1978 05-12-2007 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by speedfoos (Post 4188307)

Good call, i was about to tell him to leave those screws out once the rotor was free...but you beat me to it.... Here's some Rep....
:tup:

chawski 05-12-2007 01:07 PM

like just cause its on the underside of your car.... or... ummm
yup:rofl:

TRIZ 05-12-2007 02:12 PM

Seems like you have a lot of problems with things you cant get off..
Go to the gym and get man strength!!

1sykcivic 05-12-2007 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TRIZ (Post 4188433)
Seems like you have a lot of problems with things you cant get off..
Go to the gym and get man strength!!

:lol: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

beadebaserr 05-12-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by vacivic2005 (Post 4188274)
wtf does this have anything to do with the topic?

OP - if you stripped them, drill them out, that's what i had to do. yeah i know, it sucks, :( i had to do this too

i guess I misunderstood in the beginning. sorry for upsetting you BRAAAH.

skipbarber 05-12-2007 11:36 PM

ive always used a dewalt electric impact gun with a #3 phillips bit and ive never had trouble getting those screws out.

LT2004ever 05-13-2007 04:36 PM

ok guys i tried the http://www.pbblaster.com/store/images/PBCatalyst.gif and the two screws just wouldn't budge... i dont know what it is.... i swear this is really irking me... like i sprayed, waited a while, hammered, sprayed again, waited then hammered a again the me and my dad tried it, with no budge... GAH! and suggestions, other than drilling it out?

gearbox 05-13-2007 04:45 PM

you need impact then. could be fused from heat

LT2004ever 05-13-2007 04:56 PM

an impact wrench with a phillips #3 bit?

streetglower 05-13-2007 04:59 PM

what did you expect, you bought a honda.

speedfoos 05-13-2007 05:28 PM

^^^ WTF are you talking about?

gearbox 05-13-2007 06:11 PM

its an econobox, why would it have a huge exhaust. buy g35 for that, or even the tiburon lol

_unclejuice 05-13-2007 06:33 PM

travis, you need to grow some man balls to take your car apart. dont try to turn the impact screwdriver while hammering. just hold it against the screw tightly and whack that bitch. when you hit the screwdriver, it turns inside by itself. ill give you a lesson at the meet in june on how to use tools.