Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Best Interior Protectant? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/304569-best-interior-protectant.html)

Skunkwerks Boss 02-13-2008 07:31 PM

Best Interior Protectant?

It seems that when it comes to protecting the exterior, there are as many great wax`es as there are opinions. When it comes to the best interior protectant for all of the plastic parts the list is rather short. So, if a guy is looking for a low gloss finish with lasting qualities, what do you think is the best on the market. Fire away!

Spikez1222 02-13-2008 07:54 PM

Re: Best Interior Protectant?

Personally, I've always used Black Magic, but recently started using EagleOne... EagleOne products are a lil more expensive than some, but I think it's great!

manahoonie 02-13-2008 08:31 PM

I go with EagleOne. I've been using them since I first got the car, and my interior still looks brand new, except for a few minor scratches that i've done:hithead:

hXc drummer23 02-13-2008 08:52 PM

I recommend this: http://autogeek.net/pinvinrubpro.html
It is on the expensive side, but I think it is worth it.

Alpha 5 02-13-2008 08:57 PM

I love black magic but will be trying the eagle one soon.

Spikez1222 02-13-2008 09:03 PM

Yep, another for Eagle One and Black Magic... forgot to mention, don't use ArmorAll on the interior, it tends to dry up the materials? I don't know how to explain it, but it messed up my leather steering wheel...

em2.kid 02-13-2008 09:34 PM

^^^
Really I just used it Sunday and well my car interior is still shining

gearbox 02-13-2008 10:34 PM

i stopped using anything. makes it too shiny when the sun is out and everytime it rains you get drip marks everywhere. its nasty.

phuviano 02-13-2008 11:23 PM

I use meguiars wipes. I'm a little bias towards meguiars though. I use it for everything. I use meguairs clay bar, polish, wax, tire shine, car wash liquid, and wipes as well. I think the wipes do a pretty good job, and last for a while. Low gloss shine as well, but looks clean at the same time. It does smell for a bit, but most interior cleaners do anyway.

manahoonie 02-14-2008 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4287391)
i stopped using anything. makes it too shiny when the sun is out and everytime it rains you get drip marks everywhere. its nasty.

yeah, EagleOne does make the dash shinny too....I usually spray the stuff on a microfibre towel, spread it around on there. Then a day or two later, If the glare is getting to me, I buff it down with another microfibre towel. That gives the dash a nice matte black look, making it look brand new, but without the glaring shine.

pheaton 02-14-2008 07:55 AM

I've been using the Formula 2000 stuff. When it runs out I'm going to try the Black Magic.

CivicFreak03 02-14-2008 08:13 AM

I use the Armor All Gel Protectant and have had pretty good luck with it. I am not a big fan of having a extremely greasy shiny dash. The gel protectant cleans the dash and puts a slight shine without the greasy feel. Would recommend A+++

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 02-14-2008 08:24 AM

i use Black Magic especially on summer. it helps the interior protected from oven like heat. but like steve said, it get's too fukking shiny and sometimes glaring when you're driving. so only apply it when necessary. once you've applied it though, the shine will subside and it will give you this flat black look. that's the best part IMO.

Mr_Plenty 02-14-2008 04:26 PM

Black Magic...all the way...fuc a armorall it attracts dust like a mofo. Yea they are right about the blackmagic though it does make the dash shinney and glarey at times and hard to see in a sense when looking out of the windshield.

gearbox 02-14-2008 06:24 PM

is there anything that does not shine or mess up in the rain?

burke420 02-14-2008 09:58 PM

when the protectant get wet itll spot up same as your paint... but you can get something from Zymol or p21s... im bout to switch ENTIRELY over to all Zymol... i love them with a passion after the miracle detail! so their products are top notch and they prove capability.

Skunkwerks Boss 02-14-2008 11:35 PM

Thanks for the idea`s,,, and yes, I agree, the Armor-All super wet look was always something I never really liked. I want to say they made a low gloss product a while back, but I don`t see it any more. Sounds like some of the products you guy`s mentioned will work indeed. The windshield on my new civic looks like a greenhouse, or solar cooker if you like, to me, so anything that will help the dash this summer will be the ticket. Thanks again for the tips!

CraigW 02-15-2008 06:36 AM

I just keep mine dusted with diluted Simple Green (Still get spots on the door panels when wet though)

As far as the sun goes I have used nylon fabric type sun shades for years. (the ones that twist back up to a circle for storage.

gearbox 02-15-2008 08:22 AM

hmm ive had my car out in the sun every day for 6 yrs and stopped using dash protectant 2 yrs ago. i dont have any cracking or damage. so idk, maybe its just a myth lol.

manahoonie 02-15-2008 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4287852)
hmm ive had my car out in the sun every day for 6 yrs and stopped using dash protectant 2 yrs ago. i dont have any cracking or damage. so idk, maybe its just a myth lol.

sorry to say gearbox, but NOPE, NOT A MYTH....

we had an '85 Volvo Wagon since it was new, and I don't know where along the line, but it was before I started driving, and it had a cracked dash...luckily thought, the cracks were two straight lines from the windshield straight back to the edge by the passengers, so it appeared normal (like the dash was paneled)

so dashboard cracking DOES happen, but I don't know how long it takes. It just depends on how fast the dash dries up, and looses it's flex.

gearbox 02-15-2008 04:13 PM

hmm yea i guess over time then, my old car was really bad. i just find it really hard to see after putting that stuff on.

streetglower 02-16-2008 10:03 AM

i have been using armor all ever since 2002 and my dash looks brand new. i love the wet look of the dash. only thing i dont like it the dust loves sticking to it.

hXc drummer23 02-16-2008 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by burke420 (Post 4287761)
when the protectant get wet itll spot up same as your paint... but you can get something from Zymol or p21s... im bout to switch ENTIRELY over to all Zymol... i love them with a passion after the miracle detail! so their products are top notch and they prove capability.

Zymol is too expensive IMO. Their stuff you can buy in stores is cheap but it isn't that good. All of their good stuff you have to buy online and is very expensive.