Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Lighting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/102-lighting)
-   -   Those with projector style lights - Pros / Cons? Please assit (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/102-lighting/139063-those-projector-style-lights-pros-cons-please-assit.html)

PunkingCivic 02-10-2004 04:34 PM

Those with projector style lights - Pros / Cons? Please assit

Those with projector style lights -
What are the Pros and Cons?

I need new head lights and would like to get a set.
The Halo ones look cool but do they last.

Please assist before I decide to buy some.

Thanks,
Ray

dragin 02-10-2004 04:37 PM

i hear that tyc has a bad habbit of puttin bee's/bugz in the housing's or stuck in the seal of the lense.....

PunkingCivic 02-10-2004 04:44 PM

OK?

I mean the over performance of the lights.
Do they over heat?
poor application (doesn't it fit or is modification required)?
Cracked lenses
lights not aiming properly on the road.
ETC.

bickford05 02-10-2004 05:06 PM

just dont get the ebay noname ones and you should be fine. I bought some last summer, and never put them in because the bulbs didnt fit right, and the lenses wernt clear... they had white streaks in them. so anyway i sent them back.

pbfoot 02-10-2004 05:15 PM

i heard bad things about the halos/matrix lights as far as fit and overall quality.

i used to have TYC and liked them quite a bit. it took me a while to figure out how to aim them, but the light output is still a little less than the stock ones. the light is more focused instead of a flood light like the stock housing. TYCs fit perfectly and looked really good.

only reason i switched back was cause i never really wanted to get them. i messed up my lens when i cleared my stock lights, and TYCs were cheaper than a replacement housing. when i found a used one, i fixed my stock lights and went back to those.

projectors are notorious for getting blown bulbs more often than the stock housings.

tripledoublegs 02-10-2004 05:24 PM

You might have some visibility problems. I heard theire not as bright as the stock ones.

newshus 02-10-2004 05:34 PM

I've got the tyc projectors in silver. They are a very close match to the factory. I'm going to switch to the "JDM" black housing now though. The only con is adjusting the beams. Its a pain in the butt.

jwalker87 02-10-2004 08:24 PM

i have black housed TYC's. THey're really nice; i think they're brighter than stock; they have a much more focused beam. And they look nice. I broke off the side bracket when I wrecked though, so the right headlight is aimed pretty much across the left of the other one; not good. I'll probably be getting rid of them for blacked-out stock lights

I could sell you my set for cheap; they're really nice. Just not me. You could probably get the bracket fixed for about $20 by a shop.

Day_Tripper 02-10-2004 08:27 PM

I love my chrome TYC's they work way better then stock but I have heard diffrent of the ones with black housing it just depends

BlueFlame 02-10-2004 11:29 PM

I have the black housing and I really like them

Pros:
- Look better than stock (this is an opinion thing)
- Good Light output, possibly better than stock
- Fit better than most other projectors

Cons:
- come from factory very badly alligned
- If they're not aimed properly, light output is very poor
- Can look worse than stock (again, opinion)

My reccomendation, go with the TYC's & then save up for a HID kit and install that. That's what I have in mine and it is hella sweet. It lights the road up SUPER nice, and once I finally got them aimed properly, I didn't have anyone complaining about being blinded (except the occasional idiot who just doesn't like the HID's period)

Anyways, I reccomend them, & as long as you get the beams aimed right, they work very well. I might not use the Xenon bulbs though, becase the H1 bulbs have a tendancy to burn out very quickly, especially in the TYC's - I learned this the hard way, after about 4 different sets of bulbs ...

samscivic 02-11-2004 12:15 AM

http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrid...37401_copy.jpg
no problems here

JayFReaZy 02-11-2004 12:30 AM

I have the halo/matrix headlights

pro's
-they look 100x better than stock
-they "blink" change colors at the cut-off points like an audi/maxima/bmw
-had them for close to 2 yrs, no problems with the halo LED's or anything like that, easy install, good fitment.

con's
-not brigther than stock
-fogs up if its not sealed

thats basically it. I herd TYC is just a LITTLE bit more brigther than the halo's, but not that much. I've spent over 6 hrs adjusting my halo's, and it still does not compare to stock. My dad says he cant see shit when he drives my car at night. Only thing really good about it, is its looks. Its hott, thats the ONLY reason y i keep it on.

guamcivic2k1 02-11-2004 01:15 AM

i have halos...output sucks...fitment was ok...but my bulb blew in 3 months..so i switched back to my stock ones..

modoman 02-11-2004 01:25 AM

i have the halos and they fog sometimes*, but only when the ac is on and its especially humid.. i blew a bulb after about 1 month, but the bulbs that come in them suuuck. i replaced the bulbs with mtecs and sylvanias (which btw suck for the price).

pros
- look way better than stock
- fit juuust fine

cons
- light output sucks
- no idea how to aim the low beam projector

PunkingCivic 02-11-2004 08:38 AM

Well, thanks for the input every one.
I'll just get a new stock light (damged the driver light) instead of a new set of projector lights.

FALKEN 02-11-2004 08:44 AM

moved to I.C.E. & Electrical...Subforum: Lighting