General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Mystery Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modularama is an unknown quantity at this point
Mystery Mirror

I was behind a BMW in traffic about a year ago, and it had an unusual rear view mirror which was about as wide as the whole car, and angled in sections. Do you know if that's an aftermarket product?
Old 04-14-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mystery Mirror

http://www.amazon.com/Wink-5-Panel-P.../dp/B000UVTZIM
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...ction=category

Wink mirror, golf kart mirror, etc
Old 04-14-2010
Registered!!

Cool, thanks.
Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

Yeah that thing is nice... a lot better field of view than my wide angle mirror (which kept falling off). I ended up bolting it to my visors with some extra hardware, and used heavy velcro to keep the visors from shaking too much. I found one at the local auto shop.
Old 04-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Pictures? After reading a kinda funny thread on (i think) honda-tech (people putting some silly **** on the back of the mirror), I been looking at getting one.. but the Vegas sun makes me want to keep my visors. There was someone that did a mod to the mounting bracket that made it sit at about the stock location, and alleviated vibration problems using the optional window mount as well as the side brackets

lemme see if I can find that thread again

edit: here's the thread

and here's the bracket mod/vibration fix Scroll down to post 374

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 04-16-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i saw that at pepboys when i got my wide angle mirror im not sure if i would get it or not regarding the vibrations. but i guess you could return it if its unbearable what size would fit the 7th gen ???
Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

The vibrations were mostly eliminated with the velcro on my visors (not bad at all). Initially I tried fitting the window mounts but couldn't find a good angle (the mirror was always pointing down). So I used 10-24 x 1 inch bolts with a matching washer and nut after drilling through the visors (because I didn't want to drill through my roof). The only thing I'd do differently is to first burn through the marked visor fabric with a hot nail or something so the drill wouldn't catch and rip a big hole in the material (it was mostly covered by the mounts at least).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	visor1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	78199   Click image for larger version

Name:	visor2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	78200   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror1.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	78201   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	78202  
Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

why did you drill holes threw your visors ???. and why didn't you remove the oem rear view mirror ???.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-16-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2010
Registered!!

You know, I didn't like the idea of poking sheet metal screws through the convex roof liner in hopes of biting into something without going all the way through the roof, and the visors would not have opened all the way as far as I could tell. There was no need to remove the other mirror given the placement of the new one (besides, that's where my orb goes).
Old 04-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

ugh that thing is ugly; but functional i suppose
Old 04-18-2010
Registered!!

Keepitmovin is an unknown quantity at this point

Never seen those before, actually does not look that bad. Do u not get completely blinded when a truck or suv is behind you at night, hid's etc? Looking at the pics I can see that it adjusts but with all that mirror a quick reflection seems like it would be strong enough to cook a pizza and melt ur retina's.
Old 04-18-2010
Registered!!

there is supposedly a layer of glare protection on the mirrors but i would be more concerned about the sun in my eyes.
Old 04-18-2010
Registered!!

At night the glare from headlights was not a problem like it was with the standard mirror, because it's closer to me and higher up I suppose. I haven't had sun in my eyes either (yet?). I did have to go back and use some fabric glue (E-6000) on the velcro strips, since they only bonded to the visors for one day. Now they should hold. I just have to break the habit of looking back like a foraging bird everytime I change lanes...
Old 04-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I just picked one up at a Pep Boys. Just thought I'd share my install.

Name:  SDC13076.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  65.9 KB

Still got use of my visors, though I have to pull them out of the inner bracket to lower them

Driver's Side Bracket
Name:  SDC13078.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  103.2 KB

Passenger Side Bracket
Name:  SDC13080.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  64.7 KB

My Burger King Chewbacca from Jan 2005 still has a place to chill
Name:  SDC13081.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  71.5 KB

I'm gonna fabricate a bracket to drop it down an inch or two and drop it back (well, I guess forward, with regards to the car), and modify the OEM mirror bracket to work with the wink. Also, to make my sun visors usable with the original inner brackets
Name:  SDC13082.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  90.6 KB

As it sits right now, I've had no vibration problems. Then again, it was just a test ride around the block. Also, you can't see this bish from the outside
Name:  SDC13084.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  120.9 KB
Old 04-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this major overkill or is it actually helpful?
Old 04-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

happy mix of both? There are no blind spots anymore, which is really nice. I hate drivers on the highway that like to sit in my blind spot.
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

what can you see out of the mirror when the visors are down ???
Old 04-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

About equivalent of seeing the right half of the OEM mirror at a funky angle.. Nothing leaning a bit to the right can't fix.. That was one thing I noticed when I dropped both visors

I think it'll be better when I fabricate that bracket to drop it down and back.
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

i wonder if there are safty concerns regarding a collision like will there be shards of broken mirror glass flying all over the place ???

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-21-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

I would guess that if a collision was powerful enough to disintegrate the mirror, then the interior would be crushed to the extent that the glass would have nowhere to fly. By the way, I don't remember there being enough width for me to screw the thing into my visor connections, but apparently riceboy did just that.
Old 04-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I had to modify the included hardware to make it work.. I had to take a dremel and grind off a bit of it so it would fit with the visor pieces, then rotate it forward on both sides, and even then they were still at a sort of V angle when the bracket met the mirror.

I did, however, fabricate a bracket extension from some aluminum plates from home depot that has it sitting back where the OEM mirror sat. I also cut off the ball joint piece from the OEM mirror, and gorilla glued it to the back of the wink mirror so the wink mirror now uses the OEM mirror bracket as its own. Without the OEM mirror bracket mod and the extended brackets, the thing vibrated pretty well.. Not enough the **** me off, but enough for me to notice it. Now it vibrates about as much as the OEM mirror did.

I'll go snap some pics
Old 04-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

A little aluminum spacer I made. It pushes the rest of the brackets in 9/16". Luckily for me, I didn't have to bend any metal for this one. The 3-sided aluminum rod (I guess you'd call it.. lol) was perfectly spaced.

Original bracket ground down a bit (I had some rubbing issues with the visors earlier) on top, 1/4-20 allen head bolt with wingnut, to a piece of aluminum cut 2.5" to make the bracket extension.. Painted it with black epoxy based appliance paint.
Name:  SDC13159.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  92.3 KB

Ball joint from OEM mirror glued to back of the wink. Its actually glued on by Sumo Glue in the center for strong adhesion, Superglue on the edges for quick drying to hold it in place as the sumo glue cured, and the edges sealed with silicone for good measure.. I had some clear silicone lying around, otherwise I woulda went out and bought some black silicone.
Name:  SDC13161.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  72.7 KB

With the wink dropped down and back, I can see 3/4" of my rear window with the driver side visor dropped down. Visor use is an absolute necessity in Vegas. The passenger side visor just blocks my view of my passenger side blind spot.
Name:  SDC13162.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  72.5 KB

and now you can see it through the front windshield
Name:  SDC13165.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  107.9 KB

Some notes about the install. The visors are held in screws you can either use a wide flat-head or a #25 torx bit. I'd highly recommend the torx bit. The spring clip that creates tension for the ball joint is held down by a #20 torx bit. The back of the mirror bracket just pops off, just gotta pry a bit at the sides, and the ball joint itself has a plastic retainer... ball.. cover.. thing.. pop that off and the OEM mirror should slip right off. To take off the piece I glued onto the wink, I just took a razor blade and cut it off as evenly as possible.. I took a file to it afterward to level out the surface.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 04-28-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

High five.
Old 04-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Whoo!!

I fuggin stabbed myself in the very center of the palm of my left hand cutting that damn ball joint piece off the OEM mirror

But there was ZERO vibration with the initial install though.. drove it all over Vegas, even.
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Seems like its for people who cant drive properly.
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

lol funny but the oem mirror is **** small even with thr rear headrest gone it sucks i would never put that thing in my car though my wide angle clamp on is perfect.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-29-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Yup, that's exactly why I got it..

On another note, I'm about to sticker bomb the **** out of it for ***** and giggles. lol
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Like visors are for people who can't stare at the sun properly.
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Yup, that's exactly why I got it..

On another note, I'm about to sticker bomb the **** out of it for ***** and giggles. lol
LOL... Get a big mirror to see better, then cover it up with stickers so you can't see!!! Looks good though, but I'd never put it on my car... Just seems like overkill to me as I mentioned earlier. +1 rep for the pics tho... You seem to be doling them a lot lately.
Old 04-30-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
LOL... Get a big mirror to see better, then cover it up with stickers so you can't see!!! Looks good though, but I'd never put it on my car... Just seems like overkill to me as I mentioned earlier. +1 rep for the pics tho... You seem to be doling them a lot lately.
Lol.. I have nothing better to do but to take pics and stuff.. Very recently ex-navy, school starts in the fall, no one wants to hire me at the moment , and my point and shoot camera has been craving some love.

Quick Reply: Mystery Mirror