Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

1/2 nose bra, or deflector? (Silver sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point
1/2 nose bra, or deflector? (Silver sedan)

Wondering what the general consensus is for a hood protector..... a deflector, or a 1/2 nose bra?

1/2 nose bra (with Acura logo) is $124CDN + tax.
non-OEM deflector is $65CDN + tax.

I have a silver sedan.

FYI, $1USD == $1.60 CDN or something.... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

XXLUV2EXCELR8XX is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the Nose Bra look but the only problem with that is that when you finally decide to take it off there will be a dramatic difference with the paint underneath the bra and the unprotected hood. Atleast thats what happened with my friends VW Jetta he had to get the hood repainted
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I think either one looks fine. I like the look of the deflector more than the bra. I am considering a bra for interstate travel, especially in the summer time.

Are you wanting to keep it on all the time? You want it for looks or protection?
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm actually thinking about buying this clear stuff that you can cut, then you just stick it on your car, and it protects it from rock chips and crap.
not too familiar w/ it though.
for a roll 6" by like 12 feet it's only 20$$........
don't know how the removal process is either[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]......
just thought I'd through something in there
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

StraightEdgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
defletor is my choice....i think it looks ill on a black car... what if u get it painted silver???
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

Currently my drive is 120km EACH WAY, or 240km each day, to/from work. (I'm beginning to carpool next week).

It's primarily for safety reasons for the hood. I've already got scratches and chips galore though.

I really like the look of the leather bra over the deflector. I dunno. It's a dramatic difference in price, half the cost for the deflector. I don't think I've ever seen a 2k1 civic/EL with a leather bra tho [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] So I may just opt for that. (And for all you thiefs out there, the EL bra doesn't fit the Civic hoods [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] )

I'm thinking of leaving it on all year round.
Old 07-08-2002
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
I'm using the half nose bra myself. So far it's doing it's job, and I just take it off whenever it rains and remember to wax it before you put it back on.
Old 07-09-2002
Registered!!

OMFG! THEY LOOK SO TACKY!

I've just found pics of both, and they're both HUGE [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]

OMG.... If I do decide to get the leather bra, I'm not putting on those little wings for the fenders... Why does the thing have to be do big? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]

Now given the pics, which one?
Old 07-09-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I would say deflector myself I am having my dealer looking at where my bra fogged my paint so they may fix it for me under warranty. But yeah I never had paint fading with a bra before my 01 so guess its the new paints or something. But yeah now I just use it for road trips and stay off the interstate if I can save my paint in the long run.

Nick
Old 07-09-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
I was commuting when I bought my civic and I went for the deflector... I personally think it looks better than a bra and it doesn't damage the paint as a bra could... The deflector is attached via screws underneath the hood and it has 3 or 4 (i think 3) clear rubber stick-on domes which keep it from touching the hood when it is in use.

This deflector protects the first few inches of your car which are of course the most vulnderable. It also helps by creating a wind 'barrier' over your hood which is supposed to deflect bugs from your windshield etc.

One suggestion, though... if you get the deflector... tint your car! that way the black colour doesnt stick out so much and actually flows through the look of the car. thats just my opinion on it anyways.

If you'd like to see what my deflector looks like follow the link in my sig.

~B
Old 07-09-2002
Registered!!

Aaron4UVA is an unknown quantity at this point
I would definitely go with the deflector! It looks a lot better than the tacky looking bra. Brill, I think the deflector looks really good with the dark blue car.
Old 07-09-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me do everyone a favor. Just say no to both!!! They look sOOOO Dork! Get the ClearBra. Here is the LINK.
Old 07-09-2002
Registered!!

StraightEdgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
wow thats wierd..its like saran wrapping your car
Old 07-09-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah just had my car into the dealer and apparently the fogging in my paint isn't from the bra its from a defect in the honda metallic silver paint they put on my car so the whole front of my car will be repainted next week under warranty. But yeah any ideas on how much these cost to install? Also anyone else who has had these and do they work good?

Nick
Old 07-10-2002
Registered!!

Well, I decided to go with the aftermarket 1.7 EL deflector, and let me tell you, it's tacky.

It's made by FormFit, and has that advertising SMACK right at the edge of the deflector, driver's side. The edges aren't smooth, and the holes, OMFG, the holes, looks like some amatuer in shop class using the drill and saw the first time. They're all crooked and free hand.

The fitting was alright, but I messed up and dropped an expansion fitting into the engine bay, and so I'm only using 3 of 4 screws under the hood [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]

There are 4 clips that are U shaped that you have to pushed onto the hood to hold onto the edges of the deflector.

Anyhow, spend the extra dough to get the real Acura one if you are getting one. It looks pretty good, just cheap quality. We'll see how it reacts to rocks and snow and dirt and stuff.....