Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jasonle88 is an unknown quantity at this point
car won't start

I have a 2004 civic DX. I tried to do valve adjustments on cylinder 1 and after I finished, I put everything back together. When I started my car, it ran for about 30 seconds then just died and now it just turns over but doesn't start anymore. I'm wondering what went wrong since my car did start, even though it died soon after. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2017
Registered!!

310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: car won't start

did u disconnect any fuel lines?
Old 10-16-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasonle88
I have a 2004 civic DX. I tried to do valve adjustments on cylinder 1 and after I finished, I put everything back together. When I started my car, it ran for about 30 seconds then just died and now it just turns over but doesn't start anymore. I'm wondering what went wrong since my car did start, even though it died soon after. Any help would be appreciated.
First off why would you do a valve adjustment on just one cylinder instead of all four?

What procedure did you use to do the valve adjustment? Did you have cylinder one at TDC?

Did you ensure the coil packs are pushed down all the way onto the spark plugs and connected to the harness? Any vacuum leaks?
Old 10-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
First off why would you do a valve adjustment on just one cylinder instead of all four?

What procedure did you use to do the valve adjustment? Did you have cylinder one at TDC?

Did you ensure the coil packs are pushed down all the way onto the spark plugs and connected to the harness? Any vacuum leaks?
I had a misfiring code for cylinder 1 and after replacing the coils and spark plugs, the code was still showing so my next thought was the valves. Yes, I had cylinder 1 at TDC before adjusting. All the coil packs are down all the way and no vacuum leaks.
Old 10-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 310civicEX
did u disconnect any fuel lines?
No, I didn't
Old 10-16-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Have you checked compression?
Did you try clearing the misfire code via ECU reset?