Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Anxiety over a Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kateri.bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Anxiety over a Rough Idle

Hello all! So I have a Honda Civic LX 2004 and I've had it for 4 years now and it's almost at 200,000 miles. I have been taking excellent care of it but the other day it gave me quite a scare! I was coming home from work when it suddenly started shaking/vibrating and making an unusual noise. I put it in park where it proceeded to give me a very rough idle. It drove me home though (no check engine light ever came on) and later I re-started it and it still gave me a very rough idle and even a little hesitation to start.

However, the next day it started up just fine and drove just fine! It has been driving fine and it's been theee days since that rough idle. Today I brought it in to my mechanic and he could find no issue...he even test drive it.

I rely on this car for everything and have put a decent about of money into it (new spark plugs, new timing belt, new water filter, oil changes always on time) so I'm just wondering what it could be and if it'll occur again? Any thoughts?? Thank you!!
Old 09-18-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Anxiety over a Rough Idle

Automatic or manual transmission? If it's an automatic at what mileage was (if ever) the ATF drained and filled?

Just a guess but by your description it sounds like a momentary cylinder misfire. Could be a spark plug coil beginning to fail (weak)? You can check for spark by doing a power balance (drop test)...with the engine at idle lift each coil one at a time and listen for spark and idle drop. The idle is supposed to drop and engine run rough when a coil is lifted and if it doesn't change the idle then there is a cylinder misfire.

Also when the engine is cold check the radiator level..air in the coolant system can cause a rough idle but it's usually consistent and not intermittent.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-19-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and making an unusual noise.
Elaborate.
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

It is an automatic and I have never changed the ATF I don't think. The noise was just metallic and from all the vibrations I believe.

I just had the spark plugs changed last November...could they already be weak? Thank you so much for this additional info!
Old 09-19-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kateri.bean
It is an automatic and I have never changed the ATF I don't think. The noise was just metallic and from all the vibrations I believe.
An ATF drain and fill is considered by many to be routine maintenance and would be beneficial.

Originally Posted by kateri.bean
I just had the spark plugs changed last November...could they already be weak? Thank you so much for this additional info!
Doubt if spark plugs are but the coil(s) which connect to the spark plugs could be. The problem with intermittent issues is that many times the problem has to be happening during testing to isolate the fix.

Ezone, could a momentary electrical load issue/surge cause OP's complaint?

OP: as a side note you posted in the 8th & 9th gen and your's is a 7th gen ('01-'05). Not harping..just for future reference.
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

So it sounds like my best bet is to bring it in for some more routine work and have them look at the coils and replace the ATF?

On a side note, my friend is convinced that I put bad gas in it and that was the issue. He believes that the gas station which I went to sells watery gas due to the constant flooding in the area.

Thank you so much!!!!! I really appreciate it all hoping for the best!
Old 09-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ezone, could a momentary electrical load issue/surge cause OP's complaint?
Sorry, complaint is way too vague so far.

So it sounds like my best bet is to bring it in for some more routine work and have them look at the coils and replace the ATF?
NO.
If you aren't able to go into great technical detail with a description, don't even talk about car parts.
You describe the symptoms.
Better yet:
You take it into a shop while it is acting up and DEMONSTRATE your problems to everyone that will be involved so everyone involved is on the same page about what the problem is. No guessing, no trying to figure out what you are talking about.