Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trunk cable gets stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon Gjerde is an unknown quantity at this point
Trunk cable gets stuck

The trunk release cable on my 2002 civic opens the trunk but gets stuck, so the lever in the latch stays pulled back, and the trunk won't close till I manually pull the cable back to it's normal position. I tried spraying wd40 on the trunk end of the cable, but that didn't help.

Spent much time looking on forums and I can't seem to find this exact problem. Seems like for most people it just works or it doesn't.

I'm wondering if one of those cable repair kits will work or if there's some other trick I can use because I hear replacing the whole cable is a real pain.
Old 07-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trunk cable gets stuck

Most have the cable come apart at the front under the release lever. If that's the case, the repair kit works great. Take it apart and look.

If that's not where the problem is, you'll probably need a cable replacement.
Old 07-27-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I threw a fuel door fix on my 05 while cable was still intact.

On the 8th gens they switched to a non rusting crimp.
Old 07-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

because I hear replacing the whole cable is a real pain.
It's not difficult IMO.
Old 07-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon Gjerde is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm... So the repair kit might work even if it's not obviously broken? I haven't looked but it sorta works so I don't think it's rusted apart or anything. I'll check it out anyways.

Originally Posted by ezone
It's not difficult IMO.
What is involved exactly? I think the thing people complain about is going under the carpet and threading it through the whole car. How long does all that take?
Old 07-28-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Hard to say on FDF.... not really trunk related item.