Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 Honda Civic LX - A/C issues......Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ewycc is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Honda Civic LX - A/C issues......Please HELP!

2005 Honda Civic LX
260,xxx

A/C has been blowing warm air...usually only blows cold when under heavy acceleration, then once on the interstate, blows warm again at speed. Cold air is intermittent...cycles on every 10 minutes, blows cold for 1 min, then back to warm.

Condenser clean, both fans turning, cabin filters clean, clutch kicks on when pushing A/C button, etc. I can say that clutch kicks on when pressing A/C button at idle and seems to never cycle on and off. Could be that the clutch continues to run full-time, but no cold air ever comes out unless heavy acceleration.

Tried to recharge with DIY kit, but when I placed connector on Low side port, pressure gauge shot to the red with A/C running and since it told me not to add anything if it showed red, I did not add any R134a.

A/C never serviced in 260,xxx+ miles. Never had issues until now.

Possible a leak would cause this??

Any thoughts??
Old 05-31-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2005 Honda Civic LX - A/C issues......Please HELP!

Originally Posted by ewycc
I can say that clutch kicks on when pressing A/C button at idle and seems to never cycle on and off. Could be that the clutch continues to run full-time, but no cold air ever comes out unless heavy acceleration.
I don't know enough about a/c systems to comment but, here is a very good related read: https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/summer-c-guide-how-works-when-doesnt-2900177/
and this: http://www.vehicleairconservices.com...gauge_readings

Also, I wouldn't rely on a single gauge recharge kit for proper readings. Take it to a mechanic that will use a unit with high and low pressure gauges.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-31-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eddie1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2005 Honda Civic LX - A/C issues......Please HELP!

Sounds to me like you need a recharge. I did this recently...cost 90 bucks with tax at a local shop.