Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to prep Head Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017
Stunt Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alexp is an unknown quantity at this point
How to prep Head Bolts?

2003 civic DX auto

hi, other than cleaning the Head bolt threads, should I apply antiseize or oil to the head bolts during installation?

The bolt holes are already clean & dry.

thanks!
Old 05-28-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,171 Likes on 815 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to prep Head Bolts?

When I did my head gasket (and ARP head stud install), I just put a layer of assembly lube on them during installation

I used this stuff because that's what I found at AutoZone. lol
Old 05-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Service manual says to apply fresh engine oil on the thread, washer and head of each bolt.

I just get a bowl of oil and dunk the ends of each bolt before dropping it in the hole.
Old 05-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

agree with the bowl of oil,

i would throw all the nuts right into the bowl so they are submerged,

then just take them out one by one as you need them,

i do this with any internal nut or bolt....crank bearing bolts, cam bolts, etc etc
Old 05-29-2017
Stunt Driver

Ok Thanks!

I found my manual and brushed on the oil. I was afraid to put too much oil on the bolts as I didnt want to cause a hydro lock in the bolt hole as there are many warnings about cleaning out the bolt holes of liquids.

**The manual mentions hearing noise as you torque it down. -you have to restart the torquing of that bolt from the beginning. Is that really important cause I just kept going slow and always have had noises while torquing heads in other jobs?
Old 05-29-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The creak noises happen as the bolt stops and starts moving, this can make a torque wrench click out before the gasket is really clamped tight enough. So yes it's kinda important.
Old 05-30-2017
Stunt Driver

Originally Posted by ezone
The creak noises happen as the bolt stops and starts moving, this can make a torque wrench click out before the gasket is really clamped tight enough. So yes it's kinda important.
I torqued them 5 times in 2 days. should I loosen them and redo the procedure or do you think it ok as it is?

thanks
Old 05-30-2017

I torqued them 5 times in 2 days.
I'm not sure what you mean by this nor what the significance is.

should I loosen them and redo the procedure or do you think it ok as it is?
That's up to you. What do you think?