General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gear Shifting -Right or Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skywalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear Shifting -Right or Wrong

I am used to changing the gears from 5th to 3rd gear at high km/h, in order to push to higher RPM immediately

E.g. 120km/h @ 5 th gear change to 3rd

80km/h @3rd gear change down to 2nd

My question is, does this down shift damage any thing? Or do I need to step on the brakes till the km/h is at the appropriate speed before shifting. Pls help ! Thks

p/s: Just install AEM CAI yesterday, sounds good feel good, however got kinda whiserling sounds at 130km/h and above

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm curious... what kind of driving are you doing? The question sounds confusing... if you're at a high RPM on 5th gear (I mean high... like 5,000-6,000 RPMs... sorry, I can't translate KMH) and you're goin to 3rd, you must be redlining, and THAT can cause fire to come out of your exhaust if you redline. (Fortunately, gas stops pumping but it's still dangerous.)

This doesn't even sound right on how you described it. I dunno if you're going down in gears to raise the tachometer needle to go faster, or you just wanna downshift to slow the car down.

Wanna raise the needle without shifting? Use the clutch while pressing down on the gas. Oh, someone else say it... what is that called? Hehehe...

What I can say is that you're wearing out your 3rd gear FAST. That gear wears out the fastest... 3rd gear is... just there... I mean I use it and all but I know I have to use it because on the freeway, I'm usually just in 4th gear.

Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

CiViCsIkNeSs is an unknown quantity at this point
if you down-shift from 5th gear staight to 3rd, i wuz told that it can damage your car ! It wuz explained tome that you are supposed to (if your going from 5th to third) down-shift to fourth quickly (let tha clutch extend all tha way out) then shift to third ! This is for ALL geas ! If you down-shift from 4th to 2nd, same thing, shift to 3rd then 2nd ! Remember, tha quicker you down-shift through gears tha better !
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

mykel115 is an unknown quantity at this point
You're doin things all wrong man! who taught you to drive like that? You gonna damage your engine and transmission. I know you use down shifting if you need assist on braking but not on racing! And whats the point of jumping two gears down it only slows you down its better to go down shift one gear at a time so you're always on your torque peak
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

oh...sorry i cannot translate miles too....

I meant the tachnometer just on the right next to the RPM. It reads km/h right? e.g. 10, 20, 30,40,60,70

My question is if travelling with 4 gear at 90km/h , i think the RPM reads abt 3000 to 4000...................

And Suddently a car comes beside me to race, so I need to pick up speed...

What is the best way? if I shift to 5th gear it will take time to pick up speed, so can I shift down to 3rd gear or maybe lower to push the RPM to about 5000 to 6000 immediately !

Thanks for your Advise[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

After reading you guys' advise, I think i am a idiot !! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

So I should slowlly down shift one at a time and then step on it, and up shift again.

Is this right?

I owe u guys a big favour!
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

mykel115 is an unknown quantity at this point

<< oh...sorry i cannot translate miles too....

I meant the tachnometer just on the right next to the RPM. It reads km/h right? e.g. 10, 20, 30,40,60,70

My question is if travelling with 4 gear at 90km/h , i think the RPM reads abt 3000 to 4000...................

And Suddently a car comes beside me to race, so I need to pick up speed...

What is the best way? if I shift to 5th gear it will take time to pick up speed, so can I shift down to 3rd gear or maybe lower to push the RPM to about 5000 to 6000 immediately !

>>

20 mph 32 km/h
40 mph 64 km/h
60 mph 96 km/h
80 mph 128 km/h
100 mph 160 km/h
120 mph 192 km/h
140 mph 224 km/h

Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

<< What is the best way? if I shift to 5th gear it will take time to pick up speed, so can I shift down to 3rd gear or maybe lower to push the RPM to about 5000 to 6000 immediately !

>>

What's wrong with 4th gear? I know 3rd gear is the gear I'd want to be avoiding for my car, and yeah, downshifting like that (I forgot it add) will ruin your transmission. (I'd like to see you let off the clutch on that one...)

Just... stay in 4th! You're in a Civic! Dude, same thing happened to me one night. This Prelude, and some kinda Nissan was racing on the freeway at like 2am. The Nissan zipped passed me on the left side, and the Prelude, on my right. I wanted to catch up to them, and I was like going 72... they were going at least 95. I got into 4th and caught up with them. It took time because, hey... I'm in a Civic. No engine mods either. (Know your car!) But I caught up to them eventually. I didn't race them because my friend didn't want me racing and I respected her (though i was SO eager to race a Prelude... come on, there aren't many around here at least...)

Man... just my $.02... now I'm broke.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

P.S. USE 4th GEAR! (Healthy reminder.) [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] You can go pretty fast in 4th. Me? 110.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

the1sthotboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Why don't u just double-clutch in 3rd or 4th whatever your in , & gradually shift up?
PICS coming ...im still a damn JUNIOR MEMBER![IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point

<< P.S. USE 4th GEAR! (Healthy reminder.) [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] You can go pretty fast in 4th. Me? 110. >>

Me too...............LX baby
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

<< Why don't u just double-clutch in 3rd or 4th whatever your in , & gradually shift up?
PICS coming ...im still a damn JUNIOR MEMBER![IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
>>

Thank you for saying it.... DOUBLE CLUTCH... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Do it in 4th, f'ck 3rd gear.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

civicman10 is an unknown quantity at this point
are you supposed to use the footbrake when you downshift?
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
if you're looking for some power you may have to drop down all the way to 3rd. yes it's hard on the car, but it works.
Old 01-22-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about

sure the 4th gear can go up to a decently high speed, but you'll be wasting more gas than you would be traveling in 5th. if you're just crusing at around 70 mph, why not be on 5th if you're not planning to change lane a lot, or etc. sure you get more torque available to you when you're in 4th gear, but if you need that torque/poewr just downshift to 4th when you make the lane changes or what not then.

edit: I had all these other things about downshifting, but now i'm not too sure anymore. gotta think more about it. I dont even have my car with me, unfortunately, to test it.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Micks2K1 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you really want to save gas when your going like 40 be in 5th thats the way I do it and its alot smoother and quite.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

scsikid is an unknown quantity at this point
how do u double clutch. what is it? im new to driving stick... been driving automatic... parents car. im getting a manual when i buy my civic.

but... driving at a lower rpm means better gas mileage regardless.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shifting? We don't need no stinkin' shifting! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

I don't know a darn thing about shifting because my car has no gears (it's a continuously variable transmission). Which leads me to ask, is there any way to tell what gear ratio you're at? Is there some device that I can hook up to tell me? It's just a matter of curiousity for me. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
When Im in 5th doing about 60 mph. I can downshift to 3rd for about 3-4 seconds before it redlines again.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

LexBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
wrong
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

<< are you supposed to use the footbrake when you downshift? >>

... what for? It does make it easier to slow down in a lower gear but I don't think the guy wants to slow down... you're not obligated to... you're just revving the engine.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

<< sure the 4th gear can go up to a decently high speed, but you'll be wasting more gas than you would be traveling in 5th. >>

... I don't waste more gas in 4th... it's just 4th. (Maybe I just don't realize it cuz I'm in a Civic?) The only time I realize I'm wasting gas is if I'm constantly doing 90 on 5th gear.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

<< how do u double clutch. what is it? im new to driving stick... been driving automatic... parents car. im getting a manual when i buy my civic.

but... driving at a lower rpm means better gas mileage regardless.
>>

Press the clutch while pressing the gas. It's a good tool to move people out of your lane when they're going too damn slow, but if you wanna just rev your engine behind someone, let off the gas when you're done or else you're gonna have some torque kick in.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

GTekCiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
what the hell are you guys talkin about...............

there is no point in double clutching while speeding down a highway....
You only need to double clutch when you miss shift a gear and u want
back into the gear...... "double clutching" = steping on the clutch in and out
real quick while foot is on gas, will take sum wear out of ur clutch and at the
same time slow ur *** down......... so dun do it......... only double clutch
when you miss shift.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

Bleh... oh yeah... clutch wear, but he wants to go fast in a Civic. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] I just say stay in 4th, or downshift to 4th. You'll destroy your 3rd gear.
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

GTekCiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
You have a forbidden word in your message post. Please click the back button in your browser and remove this word from your post. The words that are forbidden are highlighted for you.

i've down shifted to 3rd alot of times......... i know it's bad for the car....... but it's a freakin habit....... everytime i hear that intake spoon up damn..... it's music to my ears........... but i only do it when i need that extra torque..... (head to head with a civic) first one to downshift to third gear wins.......... Period........ So in conclusion, downshifting to 3rd gear messes ur transmission up a little... but if u race your car is gonan get flucked up one way or another........ so if ur racing a civic head to head just down it and you will win......... (unless he packin turbo or is faster than you hahahahha)......... You lose, NO SOUP for you......
Old 01-22-2002
Registered!!

spoony is an unknown quantity at this point
why u guys keep askin him why he would wanna downshift from 5th to 3rd...its obvious he's passin slow ppl in his way [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

<< why u guys keep askin him why he would wanna downshift from 5th to 3rd...its obvious he's passin slow ppl in his way [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] >>

F'ck it... I'm done... just don't pass me on the freeway around here in your Civic cuz I will smoke you. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

I'm serious. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

... wait, I ain't got a Civic now. Give me 3 more weeks until it gets out the shop...