General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

ATTN: LEGISLATURE INTRODUCED TO BRING 95 dB law to VA!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mkingk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
ATTN: LEGISLATURE INTRODUCED TO BRING 95 dB law to VA!

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Legislation to Allow Reasonable Exhaust System Modifications

Introduced in Virginia

Legislation (H.B. 2895) that would allow Virginia’s vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test standard has been introduced in the Virginia State Legislature by Delegate William Fralin (Del_Fralin@house.state.va.us)

We Urge You to Contact Your Virginia State Legislators Immediately to Support H.B. 2895

· H.B. 2895 would remove subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test (Society of Automotive Engineers J1169 - May 1998).

· H.B. 2895 would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.

· H.B. 2895 would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust systems not of a type installed as standard factory equipment are considered illegal - even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse.

· H.B. 2895 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

· H.B. 2895 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased durability and performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

· H.B. 2895 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.

Contact Delegate Fralin (Del_Fralin@house.state.va.us)to thank him. Contact your own state legislators in Richmond immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their support for this legislation. If you need assistance in determining who your legislators are and their contact information, please contact the Virginia Legislature’s General Information Line at (804) 698-1500. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007, ext. 38 or via the Internet at http://www.semasan.com/ContactYourLegislator.aspx Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem@sema.org or fax to 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office

1317 F Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20004

Attention: Steve McDonald

96 Lifted Dodge Ram 4x4 - Sold
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Donated
99 Silverado 1500 Z71 - Still Own, Done modding it
04 WRX - Currently Being Built
Old 01-24-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
that's a good thing, right?
Old 01-24-2005
One Slow Civic.... But I can take turns pretty well :-)

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
I'm glad I don't live in virgina....
Old 01-24-2005
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
yes it's a good thing.

federal law says an aftermarket part (exhaust/intake) cannot exceed 95dB. however, some states (like virginia) don't allow modified exhaust/intake at all.
Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
YESS FINALLY!!! but not like it matters newayz.... gotta wait for my repairs to get done before i can even get my exhaust >_<
Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
sweet thanks for the info. I am calling tomorrow!
Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

kileryoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
I hope it passes
Old 01-25-2005
Registered!!

mkingk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am gonna call today
Old 01-25-2005
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
federal law says an aftermarket part (exhaust/intake) cannot exceed 95dB. however, some states (like virginia) don't allow modified exhaust/intake at all
Correct many states have a extremely subjective law that states an exhaust CAN be modified but cannot be louder than stock. The problem with this is that the police aren't equipped with decibel meters, additionaly they complete disregard the fact that the tone can change but the decibel level remains the same. So you get cops that pull over anything that doesn't sound stock.