Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Speeding ticket.... help please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicrider01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Speeding ticket.... help please...

Okay... I was driving home from class today, and i got pulled over. I was going east on 26 mile road, and the cop was sitting facing west. He was sitting write before a school zone. I slowed down once i saw him, but he pulled me over. He said i was going 47 mph in a 30 mph zone. The thing is, i was before the flashing lights for the school zone when he clocked me. I also got a warning for no proof of insurance, because it was expired, and address not changed on my license warning. I am going to call the court tomorrow. I want to fight the ticket. I never went to court before, cos i never got a ticket. What is it like? What should I plead? What story should I tell the judge? Help me out please. Im from detroit, michigan by the way
Old 10-31-2005
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
That one is going to be hard to fight. Let me make sure I got this straight. You were on a road where I'm assuming the speed limit is approx 45+ when you approached a school zone marked at 30 mph. You were clocked before the school zone right? If you were clocked outside the school zone, you should be fine because technically you do not need to observe the upcoming speed limit sign til right before and directly after passing the new sign. If you were going the correct speed before you hit the school zone and made an attempt to slow down before the school zone, you should get of scott free... However... If you were speeding ahead of time, don't try to fight it. Plead no contest and this being your first offense go hit up a defensive driving course.
Old 11-01-2005
Registered!!

thanks, yeah i was in the process of slowing down before the zone, he clocked me right before the school zone.
Old 11-01-2005

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
OK, but is the speed before the school zone 30 or is the school zone 30?
Old 11-01-2005
7thgens other Official Five O'

AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
He's asking what the last speed limit sign was before the 30mph sign
Old 11-01-2005
Registered!!

The school zone is 30mph. I believe the speed is 50mph before and after zone, and when the light isnt flashing its 50mph also.
Old 11-01-2005
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough
There are rarely 50mph zones, especially near school areas. You might want to check it again before you fight this ticket.
Old 11-02-2005

Originally Posted by fallout
There are rarely 50mph zones, especially near school areas. You might want to check it again before you fight this ticket.
Not true at all. That would be why the school zone is at 30 mph. Normally a school zone is no more than 20 usually 15mph. when it's increased like that it's due to there being a faster speed limit ahead of time. I'm guessing if anything it was one of the school zone signs that permanantly on the side of the road with the flashing lights or specifies that between certain hours of the day it is concidered a school zone. If you were tagged before the school zone and were making an attempt to slow down, I'd definatly fight it. One thing before you do. Varify the speed limit before the school zone. If it's anything below 45 don't even bother. Even if it's 45 you could probably get away with it by explaining that our gauges only read in even numbers so you weren't sure on the speed. Most judges will let you off for something that is so close to the actual speed limit just due to calibration issues.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps you out.
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

Blackpearl is an unknown quantity at this point
You can argue that was his foult that he clocked you before the sign. But admit that your fault was that you watching the street not the speedometer after you entered the restriction zone. You slow down but your atention was on the side of the road if children are not present ....
But ask for defensive driving course and waiver for the ticket.
Old 11-04-2005
It's Nice To Be Important, But It's More Important To Be Nice.

Fiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really nice
Municipal Court is all about the plea - Always plead not guilty and ask to speak with the prosecuter -

When you talk to the prosecuter ask to plead to a lesser charge -

In MOST cases they will allow it since you have no priors -

You may be able to plead to no proof of insurance and have the speeding in the school zone dropped -
Old 11-04-2005
You cant spell CRAP without APC

MarylandEcstasy is an unknown quantity at this point
man court blows. your heart is all pumping and racing so fast when you stand for the judge walking in, like damn thats the guy thats going to ruin my life. No im joking, courts fun.. just remember nothings ever as bad as it seems. I've had 17 tickets in 2 years and I'm doing great. I still got my license..sure I was suspended for 9 months total, but I learned my lesson. It's your first offense, he'll probably make you touch him in ways you dont like touching people for a lesser offense.
Old 11-05-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
just fight it, when you go to court and the cop shows up just plead no contest and take traffic school since this is your first ticket you will be ok with traffic school. Your insurance wont know either. When your courtdate comes you will know if the officer that pulled you over will be there, if he is there, then thats when u plead no contest and request for traffic school.
If you have already tooken traffic school twice which is maximum amount in like 18months, then I would fight it cause you have nothing to lose. which is the situation im in ri ght now..
Old 11-25-2005
7thgencivic's Official Bad Samaritan

HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Blackpearl
You can argue that was his foult that he clocked you before the sign. But admit that your fault was that you watching the street not the speedometer after you entered the restriction zone. You slow down but your atention was on the side of the road if children are not present ....
But ask for defensive driving course and waiver for the ticket.

reguardless of that - the police can pull you over for going 32 in a 30 zone because you're still speeding. especially in a school zone.