Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

out of state warrant

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
out of state warrant

2 months before i moved from florida to mass i got a ticket on my bicycle for not having a headlight after dark and concealed weapon (brass knucks).. (i lived in a crappy area and was not a fan of getting jumped) i went to court to fight the tickets and they had no paperwork for me.. so after being bounced around to every office in the building they said "we have nothing for you but you are in the system.. so in a month or so you will get a letter in the mail with yer new court date".. i then told them that i was moving in 2 weeks.. they told me not to move....

well.. i moved.. its been 4 years.. but i still have a warrant in florida for failure to appear on both charges.. which im told is a felony in florida... which is keeping me from being able to get a new job cuz i cant pass the background check..
short of going down to florida and walking into the courthouse anyone know what i can do to get this cleared up? i hate my job i want a new one..
Old 10-30-2004
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
Find a damn good lawyer.
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by irishtemper
Find a damn good lawyer.

That's damn good advice.

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/...directory.html

is the portal to the list of pro-bono and low-cost (aka free and not nearly as bad as $200 an hour) legal help in the US, by the American Bar Association. click and hope you find a good one.

Good luck bro. I don't think the state can tell you not to move, unless on the citation it says that as a condition of bail you had to agree to stay in the state.

OF course, if they postponed your date, you knew, and you just didn't do anything (No calls, no letters, no nothing and you let it slide) then the FTA is legit and, again, see the above link. Once you get a letter from a legal agency of the government, you have to understand that things move slowly but carry the weight of the world behind them. They will get you eventually, so don't just let stuff slide and ignore letters, because it DOES matter.

Again, good luck.

Last edited by reddawnman; 01-03-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2004
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
thanks.. my guess what to get a lawyer to deal with it..
it was so screwed up from start to end.. some 5' nothing female cop fresh on the force.. super bitch start to finnish.. and he partner.. the real cop.. BIG 6' 4" black dood super nice and jacked as hell.. the crazy lil bitch was all flippin out running my bike to see if it was stolen.. trying to see if my cell phone was stolen.. checking everything in my wallet to see if anything was stolen.. the other cop went to the store and came back with a coffe for me and him... he was like "this crazy bitch has been doin **** like this all night.. i never would have bothered with you in the first place.. and if for some reason i had i would have just taken yer knucks and added them to my collection".. he was seriously the coolest cop i ever met..
i got one letter from them.. it was fowarded from my florida address.. it was the letter about my new court date.. i sent a responce saying that i nolonger lived in florida but they never responded to that.. so i just sorta forgot about it..
ive been pulled over a few times and no one has ever said anything about it..

this is so annoying and stupid..
Old 10-31-2004
lkm

lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
get a devout democrat for a boss. that **** will higher you in no time. by the way, you should check up the statutte of limitations on what you charges are. most usually don't last after 5-10 years. murder is like the only one without it.
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by againifall
i got one letter from them.. it was fowarded from my florida address.. it was the letter about my new court date.. i sent a responce saying that i nolonger lived in florida but they never responded to that..
Was the letter you sent registered mail? If it was, you now have a piece of evidence to help you say that you took the initiative and THEY dropped the ball. You could also call the DA or one of the city attorneys or the florida DOJ to figure out if there is anything you could do to work it out. If you go this route, be aware that a bureaucracy moves freaking slow... and this time YOU have to take the time and grind it out. This is the reason why it's such a pain in the *** to fight the system. It's not that city hall cant be beaten. The problem is that most people don't have the patience and determination to see a fight all the way through.

On another note, you could also ask for the female cop's record at this point. If she really is a lame as they say she is, she may be off the force.

Last edited by reddawnman; 01-03-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2004
Go Team Venture!

nah i was drunk when i got the mail that day and just threw it away.. however i do still have my original paperwork that has "not in system as of whatever" and the file clerks sig..
Old 10-31-2004
lkm

lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
check up the statute of limitations. if it really has been 4-5 years, the charges may not hold up.
Old 10-31-2004
Go Team Venture!

they are still keeping me from passing a background check which is still keeping me from getting a new job..
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

nah i was drunk when i got the mail that day and just threw it away.. however i do still have my original paperwork that has "not in system as of whatever" and the file clerks sig..

That's definitely helpful. find a lawyer, and try to sober up a little more :-) have respect, you'll get respect.
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

jloos will become famous soon enoughjloos will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lkm
check up the statute of limitations. if it really has been 4-5 years, the charges may not hold up.
The Statute of Limitations is for charging you with a crime, once charged they don't apply. He was already charged and is technically a fugitive. Talk to a lawyer and work this out, it will end up cost you some $$ in the short run, but you will be much better off in the long run.

What exactly are you charged with?

Note I am not giving nor will I give any legal advice, if you want legal advice hire an attorney.
Old 11-01-2004
Go Team Venture!

"no headlight on a byicle after dark" - traffic ticket.. same as j-walking since you dont need a licence to ride a bike
""posession of a concealed weapon" - misdemeanor - brass knucks are not illigal in florida they count as a pocket knife..

when i went to court my plan was to just pay the headlight ticket if i had to but i wanted to fight the concealed weapon charge cuz i dont want it on my record.. and i could have beaten it or atleast gotten it down to something that didnt matter cuz i was never asked if i had anything on my she just told me to get against the car and patted me down.. frisked me... which might have also been illigal cuz she was a chick and im a guy... i know guy cops cant frisk chicks.. so... .. .. maybe.. i dunno..
Old 11-01-2004
Go Team Venture!

NOTE: i in no way hold anyone responsible for anything that happens in my life due to this thread past present or future
Old 11-24-2004
Registered!!

ncoliva is an unknown quantity at this point
If you get stopped or anything involved with the police and they run you threw NCIC or do 10-29's, 10-27 checks, a hit is gonna come back that you have that warrant.
Old 11-24-2004
Go Team Venture!

yeah ive gotten stoped twice.. both times i came up with the warrant.. both times the cop said "looks like you have a warrant or something down in florida.. you should clear that up cuz if you get pulled over in florida they will arrest you"
when i asked why they werent arresting me they said it didnt come up as something that required them to take action...

someday ill get around to dealing with this..
Old 11-25-2004
Registered!!

And the day before "someday" something will happen in which the officer would like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but will find that warrant.

deal with this NOW. again, bureaucracy moves very slowly, but it's like a steamroller with the weight of the world behind it. Get a lawyer and figure this out asap.

It could be as simple as sending the judge or DA or one of the Prosecuting attorneys a letter, or as simple as calling the hall of records and asking who to go to. the system is a bitch, but eventually if you continue to be kind to the underlings on the phone, one of them will have pity or understand your situation, and give you directions through the red tape and into where you want to go. In dealing with City hall, remember that the secretaries are the ones with the real juice. They can be your best friends or your worst enemies, so treat them like gold.

Don't let it fester any more. [rant]With the way the Bush administration is setting **** up, the next time you try to take an international flight, the security pukes will already know you are bad news and full cavity search you, lube not included. [/rant]

Last edited by reddawnman; 01-03-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2004
Registered!!

ncoliva is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah ive gotten stoped twice.. both times i came up with the warrant.. both times the cop said "looks like you have a warrant or something down in florida.. you should clear that up cuz if you get pulled over in florida they will arrest you"
when i asked why they werent arresting me they said it didnt come up as something that required them to take action...

Prolly because the Florida PD that has the warrent out on you didn't want to extradite, and there was no way the PD that stopped you was going to transport you all the way down there.
Old 11-27-2004
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
if its a simple FTA warrant, if def will not be extriditable up in mass. it will pop up anytime you are run by an agency. call the court house down in florida, explain the situation and see if you can take care of it on the phone. these will not dissapear. i have seen guys up here get hooked for 15 year old warrants they have totally forgot about. take a little intiative and responsibility and take care of it.
Old 11-28-2004
awd pwnz j00

import2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree with reddawnman, take care of this now.

good luck with it all and let us know how it turns out
Old 11-28-2004
Go Team Venture!

alright alright alright ill deal with this.. jeeeeez you kids nag more than my mom...

and i thank you for that..
Old 11-28-2004
Registered!!

dchalifoux7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought they would arrest you regardless if you had warrants in other states... this guy I thought was my best friend broke into our home about 3 months ago and fled to Florida for work... That pecker head took my check book and cleared my account... also jacked my registration sticker, some cd players I had and some pioneer subs... well the registration sticker and the check writing are both felony's lol that means his *** will get arrested... and they will travel from Texas to Florida to pick him up. I can't wait to see his face in court... it will be a while I'm sure but that is ok. I have no choice but to wait. Now I have decided to have no friends... I have my family and that is all I need... whoa going off the subject.. whoops
Old 11-28-2004
Go Team Venture!

no friends is the way to go...
Old 11-29-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dchalifoux7
I thought they would arrest you regardless if you had warrants in other states... this guy I thought was my best friend broke into our home about 3 months ago and fled to Florida for work... That pecker head took my check book and cleared my account... also jacked my registration sticker, some cd players I had and some pioneer subs... well the registration sticker and the check writing are both felony's lol that means his *** will get arrested... and they will travel from Texas to Florida to pick him up. I can't wait to see his face in court... it will be a while I'm sure but that is ok. I have no choice but to wait. Now I have decided to have no friends... I have my family and that is all I need... whoa going off the subject.. whoops

Grand Theft is a felony. FTA is usually a misdemeanor unless, of course, its because of a felony or jumping bail or whatever. if you have an FTA, you aren't worth the while to extradite, unlike, say, someone who has comitted grand theft, fraud, and interstate crimes such as check fraud and trafficking stolen goods across state lines. big difference.

HOWEVER (nag forthcoming...)

it doesn't mean that you shouldn't take care of it. because it's a pretty small thing, like most have said, you should be able to deal with it. The price of not dealing with it could be a situation like:

Your friend: "Hey man, lets go out and party, I'll drive"
You: "Sweet"

4 hours later, you get blitzed and he's driving around after a couple (not enough for DUI, just enough to be a dumbass), and you get lost. You find yourselves wondering how you ended up in Mass, or in a bordering state when you get pulled over by a mass trooper:

Officer friendly: "What's going on, you guys seem to be lost and were driving erratically"

Your friend: "Yeah, we were partying a bit and didn't know how to get back. I'm DD-ing for my friend here"

You: <puke out the side window>

Your friend: "Uhh... yeah, I had 2 beers, he obviously had a lot more."

OF: "I See... I need to see both of your identifications, and based on the way you were driving, I want to do a FST on you."

Even if your buddy passes the FST, the man will still run your license, find out you have a warrant, and bust your ***.

A little farfetched, but what if there's an emergency and you have to go to Mass? What if a friend does something stupid with you in proximity? Cops tend not to believe people with warrants out on them.

Last edited by reddawnman; 01-03-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2004
Registered!!

-Vile- is an unknown quantity at this point
Take care of the situation.

Get a lawyer.

Its already hindering you from getting better jobs, its not necessesarily your fault, but the responsibility lies in your hands b/c you know the entire situation...

Just do what you gotta do and stay out of jail.

Btw, Love the wacky scenario by the previous poster...haha..you puke out the window
Old 12-13-2004
Registered!!

ty.barrack is an unknown quantity at this point
I would just write to the clerk of the court give them your name, address, phone number, approximate date of the incident, and see if you can settle out of court, or have the case moved to a court in your current state. you really need to take care of this, otherwise it may also go on your credit report, and you msy get a writ of garnishment. It may also be possible for one of your family members to go in and take care of it for you.
Old 12-13-2004
Registered!!

solo_rider is an unknown quantity at this point
like said before your best bet is just get a lawyer.
Old 02-16-2005
Go Team Venture!

ok i finally started working on this... hehe...

heres one of the original sitations as it turns up listed on the seminole county website

Please Verify This Citation:

Citation (TR): XXXX-XXX
Violation: NO/IMPR LAMPS ON BIKE OVER 14
Name: XXXXXXXX, CHESTER D

Address: 538 NANTUCKET CT
cont'd L303
City: ALTAMONTE SPRINGS
State: FL
Zip: 32714
Amount: $63.00
Due Date: 3/31/02
Web Payment Fee: $5.00
Total: $68.00

DisclaimerYou may pay this fine online,
but there may be other conditions to be met before this citation is processed.
Details: IF ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE MET A D6 CLEARANCE FORM WILL BE MAILED TO YOU THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY TO THE ADDRESS ABOVE

im on hold with the criminal division now.. wonder if this will ever get taken care of... hehe.. oh well.. im sure this will turn into a HUGE nightmare by the time its over... but we will see...
Old 02-16-2005
7thgens other Official Five O'

AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
not as a big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

take some time and get it all taken care of...ya cant say you didnt know the warrant wasnt out there
Old 02-18-2005
Go Team Venture!

yeah thats the plan... im not worried about it at all.. ive been pulled over and had my name run and all that stuff..
its just annoying cuz its keeping me from getting a job

everything with me and tickets turns into a nightmare.. 2 tickets on a bike (bell and streamers style) resulted in almost $1500 before i was able to renew my license