Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Got Screwed on Wheel Set - What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004
Every predator is someone elses prey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04RedCiVP is an unknown quantity at this point
Got Screwed on Wheel Set - What can I do?

Hey all --

I purchased a set of wheels from someone off of eBay. Heres the problem though: it was off of the books. Meaning: After the auction ended they told me they would sell them to me for X amount of dollars. I agreed and paid via paypal. It has been two weeks and I still havent been sent the wheels. I have emailed this person several times and everytime they come back with a B.S excuse of: "well it has to clear my account and hasnt yet." AND "Yeah I got the money but cant seem to find the lug key to get them off the car." the last email I received from this person was 5 days ago -- I have emailed them twice since then with no answer. Anyone been through this or know what my next steps should be -- I want my DAMN money back or the wheels!!!! help
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Where do they live?
Old 10-21-2004

Madisonville, KY

I have an address but no phone #
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
if its from paypal, take back the money before its too late.
Old 10-21-2004

How do I take back the money?
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

search around paypal's site. i am sure they have something.
Old 10-22-2004

The only thing I have come up with is to 'File a Claim' -- basically this has paypal try to contact the person who I sent the money to and see why I havent received my item...basically a dispute resolution. I plan to do this tomorrow but the site says it will take 30 days and there seem to be no guarantees.....
Old 10-22-2004
Registered!!

PayPal Buyer Protection

If you buy your item on eBay and your purchase meets certain criteria, PayPal will protect you up to $500.00 USD at no additional cost to you. PayPal Buyer Protection covers:
ebay items purchased with PayPal where payment is made to the seller's email address associated with the listing (make sure to pay with the grey Pay Now button found when the listing closes on eBay)
Items that are never received or are significantly different than what was described in the listing
Tangible items (physical goods that are shipped to you) only. Services and intangible items are not covered.
Other Limitations:
You may only file one claim per PayPal payment
Claims must be filed within 30 days of the PayPal payment
Buyer Protection does not cover cases where you are simply disappointed with the item you have received
You are limited to two PayPal Buyer Protection refunds per calendar year
You must be willing to provide information during the investigation process, if requested
Old 10-22-2004

apparently I missed that part. Thank you very much, thats a little more comforting. While 500.00 is wonderful -- I paid much more than that for these wheels...Im guessing that they will credit me the 500.00 after the 30 day period when the attempt to resolve the matter fails?
Old 10-22-2004
Registered!!

probably
Old 10-22-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
You will be lucky to have them cover it. Most of the time, it only works with verified sellers. It totally sucks. The verified sellers are usually the most honest. It is the shady, one time sellers that seem intent on ripping people off.

Plus you bought it out of Ebay. Meaning you won no bid, so Ebay will not help you, and guess what, Ebay is owner of Pay Pal.

File the complaint. Get as much information as possible. Write him letters, get his phone number, call him.

The sad part is this. I had a similar problem with Pay Pal. Once you send the money, it is gone. Thier help in the situation was crap. They basically told me that the money was gone, too bad, so sad.

The lesson is this to everyone. Once you hit send, they take the money out of you account and give it away. They have no means to get it back for fraud or any legitimate reason. They have no legal recourse and they offer very little help.

I am sorry to tell you this. I realize it sucks, it sucked for me. For any big purchase, I use escrow. For small things, I realize I could be throwing my money out the window.

The only thing you can really do is call your bank, the one you used for the transaction. Tell them some dude ripped you off and Pay Pal is doing nothing. Maybe they can charge back Pay Pal. That would be something.
Old 10-22-2004
Registered!!

03civda is an unknown quantity at this point
At my bank, and I'm sure yours as well, you can fill out a form for an Unauthorized ACH Debit, which I believe is how Paypal takes the money out of your account. Call your bank and find out if you can do that and they will credit your account usually within 1 business day. Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2004
Ultimate Member

teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
you are an idiot. just thought i'd share.
Old 10-22-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

shmik1 has disabled reputation
i've only been ripped off on ebay once for a dvd was like $16 or so.. and when I tried to file a claim it was too late.. this last auction I won, I might have just thrown away about $70..
Old 10-22-2004
Premium Member

o well, live and learn, but if I dont get my item, im hoping I can file something w/ ebay and/or paypal.. im'a give em 2 weeks, if I see nothing im'a try filing..
Old 10-22-2004
Premium Member

Originally Posted by teampointless
you are an idiot. just thought i'd share.
yea I am too... I should have paid more attention and not sat there thinkin.. oh maybe it'll work out.. but who knows, like I said im given em 2 weeks and its only been a couple days.. 3-4 maybe..
Old 10-22-2004
Registered!!

bWear210 is an unknown quantity at this point
where did you send the money. we will go to his pad and kick his A$$. lol dont trust anyone that doesnt go by the the book on ebay. i was ripped off once but the guy did the wrong thing by callin me from his home phone. i just got on the computer and found his address ad paid him a visit. i live in tx and he is in VA. it was worth the extra money to find him and take care of him. but dont go that route peace out man
good luck.
Old 10-25-2004
lkm

lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
thats why, you don't shop ebay. if you have to, buy from a business with a brick & motor{store} operation going on.
Old 10-26-2004

bWear210 - Going to his pad and kicking his **** seems like the plan of the century.....I guess I just dont understand how people can get away with ripping people off on ebay. I mean if you buy something and someone doesnt send it to you that is a crime, is it not? Why is it paypal/eBay does not put pressure on these people who fraud others? Anyway to get a real lawyer involved?
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

BassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to all
Originally Posted by shmik1
o well, live and learn, but if I dont get my item, im hoping I can file something w/ ebay and/or paypal.. im'a give em 2 weeks, if I see nothing im'a try filing..
I wouldn't even try to file anything with eBay. You were (hopefully not!!) ripped off and they clearly state the they won't even bother with transactions that didn't occur through them....it's in the long license agreement when you sign up...I know...I didn't read it either. Try Paypal tho, but make sure it's within 30 days of the transaction.

GOOD LUCK! eBay is usually a great place to do business...but there are always exceptions. :/