Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

license suspended for ONE speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iLLuMiNaTi is an unknown quantity at this point
license suspended for ONE speeding ticket?

Hey,
I'm 17 years old and I got caught speeding on the freeway going 90 (65mph is legal). I went to court the other day, they took my license away for one month, and I had to pay $320(!!!!!). What's strange is, my friend who went 80 on a 35, got the same thing as I did. Why was it different for me?? It was both my friend's and mine first time getting any kind of ticket (except for parking tickets.
ehh???
Old 09-27-2003
The Righteous

RBABE is an unknown quantity at this point
How old is your friend? What kind of license do you have (full one, graduated one, or some other one)?
Old 09-27-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
well, seeing as 90 is over the "20mph over the speed limit" region, they charged you with reckless driving (or should have) and, from what i hear, can then do about whatever they want to your license. Here's a tip: DONT SPEED. Or at least keep it under the 20-over mark. I always go like 15 over. Havent gotten caught yet (knock on wood), and I'm 16, so it would really suck if I got caught. Anyways, i dont think you can do anything about it. Its really just the judge's impression of you.
Old 09-28-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by RBABE
How old is your friend? What kind of license do you have (full one, graduated one, or some other one)?
my friend's 17 as well.. what're all those diff. licenses you listed?? I only know that mine's provisional (i think.. can't check right now since i dont have it). does that help any?
Old 09-28-2003
The Righteous

Since your friend is the exact same age as you, then the license doesn't matter. Your judge just judged you differently than the judge he got. Sorry man, but, try and keep your nose clean from here on out.
Old 09-28-2003

Tofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of light
I got busted with 26 over and I got a $52.50 ticket. The cop let me get off with that cause i was civil with him. At anytime where you rude to the cop? I flat out said that I was speeding and not paying attention. He told me that when they pull people over they tend to treat people according to the attitude they are giving to the cop.
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

Hahaha.. nope.. never rude to a cop. I've talked my way out of a few tickets, so I dont know what happened this time..
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

keffin will become famous soon enoughkeffin will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by iLLuMiNaTi
Hahaha.. nope.. never rude to a cop. I've talked my way out of a few tickets, so I dont know what happened this time..
i'll tell you what happened!

ohhh thats right you know already... YOU GOT CAUGHT BRO!

some of us have got lucky...
but you got the book basically thrown at you...

so mind you driving/speed, you will learn after this...trust me...

and i have gone 80 in a 65 or 70, never 90mph...

so chill!
Old 09-29-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
you lucked out, if you wer here in maine it would have been a 60 day suspension, consider yourself lucky. 30 mph+ is criminal here, go directly to jail, do not pass go..........
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by kyle4583
you lucked out, if you wer here in maine it would have been a 60 day suspension, consider yourself lucky. 30 mph+ is criminal here, go directly to jail, do not pass go..........

that also...

here in the MIA...

they would have whooped your ***, and impounded the car
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by keffin
i'll tell you what happened!

ohhh thats right you know already... YOU GOT CAUGHT BRO!

some of us have got lucky...
but you got the book basically thrown at you...

so mind you driving/speed, you will learn after this...trust me...

and i have gone 80 in a 65 or 70, never 90mph...

so chill!
....?

why the unnecessary post...? what's with the "so chill!"?? Have I in any way made it seem like I was pissed and screaming around?? Was just looking to see why my punishment was so drastic.
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

"....?

why the unnecessary post...? what's with the "so chill!"?? Have I in any way made it seem like I was pissed and screaming around?? Was just looking to see why my punishment was so drastic."

i'm sorry son.....
just "chill" with you driving habits...thats what i meant!

we don't want you going around town, thinking you are in a skyline...
and just don't drive reckless... don't fu.ck up your future, and even more important...DON'T GET KILLED, by doing something stupid!
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

ohh i c.. sorry for that then.
btw, I wasn't in my car. I had my dad's 540i 6-speed
Old 10-02-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
In WI if they catch you going 100 MPH or over they take your license away right there, impound your car, and off to jail you go - no questions asked. 90 is pretty close, so the judge probably thought - hey what the hell......
Old 10-02-2003
The wheel is turning...but the hamster is dead
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to all
I got pulled over going 3mph of over the speed limit! Everything got dropped in court and they told me that it wouldnt effect my insurence...but it did, and I ahd to drive 2 hours to go to court! >:O State cops in NY are really gay about going over the limit the SLIGHTEST bit
Old 10-02-2003
Registered!!

Shredhigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Illuminate, after all of my problems that I have had behind the wheel, and all I understand your frustration. Although I agree with these people that you really do need to watch your speed, it would be like preaching to the chior. which no one wants to hear. I assumed that you live in CA (Palos Verdes). Below is the law the way that it is written, straight from the cali dmv site. hope this helps

If you get too many negligent driver points, DMV will place you on probation for one year (which includes a six-month suspension) or revoke your driving privilege. You are entitled to a hearing if your request is postmarked or received within ten days of receiving the suspension or revocation order.

At the hearing, you will have the opportunity to present evidence (documentation) and testify on your behalf to show why your license should not be suspended or revoked. Based on all the evidence, the hearing officer will determine if your license will be suspended, placed on probation, or revoked. At the end of the suspension or revocation period, you may apply for a new license and you must show proof of financial responsibility.

NOTE: DMV will revoke your license for a conviction of hit-and-run driving or reckless driving which results in injury.

SUSPENSION BY JUDGE

A judge may suspend the license of anyone convicted:

Of breaking speed laws or reckless driving for up to:
- 30 days on the first conviction,
- 60 days on a second conviction, and
- six months on a third or subsequent conviction.
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Hit-and-run.
Engaging in lewd conduct and prostitution in a vehicle within 1000 feet of a residence.
Assaulting a driver, passenger, bicyclist, or pedestrian when the offense occurs on a highway (road rage). The person may be required to complete a court-approved anger management course.
Failure to stop as required at a railway grade crossing.
Felony or misdemeanor offense of recklessly fleeing a law enforcement officer.
Regardless of point count, many serious offenses in which a vehicle is used are punishable by heavy penalties such as fines and/or imprisonment.
Old 10-02-2003
Registered!!

dustin_samuel is an unknown quantity at this point
what a bummer. What'd your parents say? After hearing stuff like this, I really need to slow down. I was doing a 105 in a 35 last week . I'd a been screwed.
Old 10-02-2003
Registered!!

thx for the info Shredhigh

My mom was pretty mad... dad didn't really care, since he has gotten some tickets alrdy.. not just here in cali haha
Old 10-02-2003
Registered!!

dustin_samuel is an unknown quantity at this point
angry moms are the worst
Old 10-03-2003
Registered!!

hahah for sure.. she didn't talk to me for like half a week. She just shook her head everytime i tried to start up a conversation -_-
Old 10-03-2003
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
illuminati,

Going 25 mph over the limit and being being surprised by receiving a ticket illustrates why teenagers always get killed in the horror flicks - they make teenage decisions that are rather stupid! It's not the fact that you got a single ticket but the facts surrounding your citation.

OK here's the skinny - you most likely got popped for reckless driving which can be defined as 25 mph or more over the limit. For this transgression I don't believe you would have been eligible for traffic school even if you wanted to make a plea bargain.

A couple of things will happen: Your insurance company will find out and if they don't drop you, the premiums will shoot higher than fireworks on the 4th of July. You're in the group of drivers that are involved in more accidents than any other age group. You're their highest group risk and you just were convicted of reckles driving. In their eye, you are a huge risk that they may not want to take.

The DMV will be notified and they may take their own action against your driving ability. Please understand that it does not matter how long the Superior Court judge suspended your license because the DMV is not bound by them. The court system address the criminal issues and the DMV is an administrative law system. Each of their respective actions are not viewed by each other as binding on the other. In other words, don't be surprised if the DMV takes your license away for longer than the judge did. The judge may have even told you and all the other traffic court defendants the same thing on your trial date.

Bottom line: You made a conscious decision to go 90 mph. When cited, you set in motion a whole process of things that you probably didn't think about when you were speeding. And now, your future driving ability is largely out of your hands and in the hands of people who only see you as a set of facts or part of statistically significant group.
Old 10-03-2003
Registered!!

did I ever say that I was surprised for getting the ticket? I just said that I found it strange that I got the same punishment as my friend did, even though his case was a much more severe scenario. As you said yourself, I made a conscious decision to go 90. I knew that by going 90 on the freeway the chance of me getting caught was high. I was under a lot of time pressure, at that time. I knew that my insurance would boost up, since my dad has had similar experiences. I knew what I was doing wrong. Please dont assume that just because I'm a teenager, I dont know what might happen to me. That's being rather prejudice, wouldn't you say? and how do horror flicks have ANYTHING to do with this thread..?? Sure, in horror films teens die. But do they die because of their driving abilities (or lack thereof)?? They usually don't die of driving fast or stupid, but of being distracted by something scary/horrific, while driving, hence the term "HORROR FILM", not "TEENS DRIVING STUPID FILM."
"[teens] make teenage decisions that are rather stupid!" There are millions of adult drivers who speed all the time. Many of whom get into accidents and get tickets/citations as well. Sure, the facts state that more teens die in accidents than adults, but does that mean that EVERY teen will die a horrible death while driving? It seems like your trying to say that only teens speed. Do you think highly of yourself because you make prejudice thoughts and you're disriminatory towards teens? wow!! you must be cool!

Sorry mods if this seems like a flame, but I can't stand being the target of prejudice statements because I am not a legal adult yet.
Old 10-03-2003
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
illuminati,

Every case stands on its own merits but I'm sure that if you, or anyone else for that matter, looked at every speeding ticket you'd find some discrepancies in sentancing but the bottom line is that if you were convicted of reckless driving you probably received a sentance within the judges discretion.

My teenage comment isn't meant as a personal attack on you but rather teenage drivers in general. You don't seem to be disagreeing with the fact that teenage drivers are, as a whole, are the highest risk group for accidents and citations. Pointing out well-known facts isn't predjudice or discriminatory. It is what it is. That's not to say that other groups don't have accidents too however with age supposedly comes maturity and experience but not perfection.

You said you were in a hurry, you needed to go faster, you knew that you stood a higher chance of getting caught, you admit that if caught your rates would boost up, you didn't waffle on the idea of what you were doing was wrong and after weighting all those options you still went 90? Doesn't something seem a little amiss with this thought process? I can't say that it was the most brilliant decision I've ever seen.
Old 10-03-2003
The Righteous

Personally, I see older drivers as in some senior citizens as the most prone to causing accidents. I mean senior citizens that should not be driving still and still drive. I would say as a group or whole, teens would be the second prone to accidents. I am speaking for my area only which is a land of retirement and this is what I have noticed.
Old 10-03-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by RBABE
Personally, I see older drivers as in some senior citizens as the most prone to causing accidents. I mean senior citizens that should not be driving still and still drive. I would say as a group or whole, teens would be the second prone to accidents. I am speaking for my area only which is a land of retirement and this is what I have noticed.

Statisticly there are Much Fewer older drivers then young teenage drivers now, the reason you probably see them so often is because they annoy you. and like you said, you live in the land of retirement.....
Old 10-24-2003
Registered!!

Dagooseisloose is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats not bad I got my license suspended for 60 days for getting 2 seatbelt tickets.