Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Los Angeles and window tint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Los Angeles and window tint?

Ok, so I checked with the tint laws, etc, before putting tint on my side windows. I have not been nailed yet, but I am concerned anyway. My side tint allows 70% light transmission, just as required. I did this to TRY and avoid the hassle of a fix-it ticket. A lot of people I know with "legal" tint STILL have to remove it. So what's really going on here?
Cops say it's not OK, but the codes say it's OK. What is it?????
Old 08-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
if state law says its alright then its fine. Did you check the links i provided above to see about your local laws for tint.?

here ya go for tint laws

Injen
Old 08-29-2003
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
In California the state law states that you cannot have anything adhered to the glass!

Most cops are cool about it but not all cops are cool.

So if you have tinted "glass" you can flip the cop the bird.
Old 08-29-2003
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
The vast majority of CA cops will tell you absolutely NO TINT on the front sides (eventhough that page says 70%....)

70%...too light anyway!
Old 08-30-2003
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Yep, I checked the links. So it still boils down to yes and no.
I'm getting sooo sick of California.
70% is ok for me, since I don't have the best night vision. I have the tint more as UV protection. Not really to make the car dark. I wish I could get electro-chromatic tint. It's still experimental as of this date. Would be cool to just dial in the level of tint you want, and have it clear at night.
Old 08-30-2003
Registered!!

PimpLikeShrimp is an unknown quantity at this point
well.. i just got my windows tinted yesterday.. got limo on the back three and 20 percent on the front side windows... i've drivin by maybe six cops so far in the valley and haven't had n e problems w / my windows UP. my brother has had the same tint i have for over a year now and has yet to recieve any trouble at all from any LA cops.. ur chances are good but not 100%.. the guy who did my tint has to where if i get a ticket or dont like it he'll take it off for free and if i come back later.. he'll add it back and do it lighter if i want..
Old 09-01-2003
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Window tint is not a fix-it ticket in Cali anymore. It is now a 75$ fine. I got fined and all you have to do is pay it and hope you never see the same cop again. If you're from LA, watch out on the 14frwy near Acton. There is a Chick CHP who prides her career on window tint tickets. no i am not joking, she is crazy and mean.
Old 09-20-2003
Registered!!

Sidewinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, he's right about the 14fwy. I've heard some stories about that but I've got my windows done and they're like 10% back and 30 % front and I havent had any problems. But like they've said, its your driving habits, how ur car looks, and if u give the cop a reason to pull you over. From what I hear most wont bother u unless they know they can get u on something else too. Tint only is just a plain waste of time in their minds probably. But yea, still not 100% guarantee so just beware.