Question/Rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006
I Love Lamp

Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada/ Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnhard88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question/Rant

okay, my question is should i go to honda when on my dash it says maitenance required??? supposively it says in my manual that it only means the 12,000 km check needs to be done or whatever, and i was wondering if it's good to do it or mandatory, etc... now my rant, i basically have a buyer for my car and she's payin 6 g's without my sound system for it... she was test driving it in gatineau and she got pulled over by a cop and the cop said the exhaust system was illegal on it... now, my 97 civic is an auto for one, and has a magnaflow system on it... so supposively the cop took pics of the exhaust system, put a rod in my exhaust tip and told her that the 4" tip was illegal... i thought this was 100% pure bs, even tho she didn't get a ticket for it... so i don't know why the cop took all those pics and what not... but meh
Old 08-29-2006

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
1) the maintanence light meanes that u need an oil change, that it, u can reset the ECU to shut it off, search the board on how to do that

2) U have the worst luck with cops. try to fight it, but i think there is nothing u can do about it
Old 08-29-2006

Tofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of light
The light means you are soon due for an oil change or depending on the kms some kind of service. Go to Honda and get the service information. It will tell you what needs to be done according to the kms. IMO this is a scam and costs big bucks. You can then decide if you want to take your car in for service or if you are going to do it yourself. If you want to take it in you don't have to take it to honda. Take it where ever you want just make sure you keep the records if you take it someplace else. Honda keeps a record of your services and if you need warenty work they can claim you did not get the proper service. So make sure to keep your records so you can prove you had it done. Also if you do your own oil change keep the records for what you bought. Keep in mind that honda does not recognize if you do the work yourself. They will only consider it if it is done by a licenced mechanic. Don't reset the light and forget about it.

As far as the other car goes. Did you not get pulled over before with that exhaust? Is the chick still going to buy it? Keep in mind if you did not see the cop actually taking pics she might of made the whole thing up. But if it is true and you had been pulled over before for exhaust maybe there is something on you licence saying so. Maybe they took pics so if you try and fight it they have pics of what exhaust you had on. There is something going on in TO about that. Cops have to take pics of the exhaust to cover their butts when they go to court.

Here you go. If you hit the show button under Frequence it will show you what you have to do

http://www.ottawahonda.com/en/servic...012300203%7CLX

Last edited by Tofast4me; 08-29-2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2006
I Love Lamp

for the exhaust bit, it was my blue car that got the ticket off hunt club... i had no resonator in it so i got pulled over... but this one was on my green auto civic with the magnaflow system... i thought the info on the infraction would go to the person who was driving its house but i guess it went to my house and mom lost it, lol... but i mean, what could be illegal about that exhaust system??? i mean, it's a manufactured exhaust system and complies to everything in ontario i believe... dunno bout quebec now cuz that's where the events went down... but i mean i never ever had any trouble with the cops for years, and i got pulled over twice or three times in that car with no hassle... are the rules any different for exhaust systems in gatineau/hull/aylmer??? i mean, i've driven my blue car in aylmer by cops and nothing, lol... they said something like the 4" tip that is on my magnaflow system is illegal... grrrr... frustrating... also considering i can't read the bloody document for one, it's in french, and the other, i'm in toronto now
Old 08-30-2006
Drifting away in time and space...

Lynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura about
if anything, it's alot easier to fight exhaust tickets in Quebec than Ottawa. Cops tend to give more tickets on the Quebec side for exhausts, but they are really easy to fight. Basically, no emissions or sound tests were done on your exhaust, so the officer shouldn't be able to give you a ticket on the spot. But they do, and everyone that i know of who has taken an exhaust ticket to court in Gatineau has won his case.
Old 08-30-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Could you even get a ticket on that side for that with an Ontario plate?
Old 08-30-2006
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

EŽik will become famous soon enoughEŽik will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by player
1) the maintanence light meanes that u need an oil change, that it, u can reset the ECU to shut it off, search the board on how to do that

Actually Like Caryn said it is reminding you that you should schedule regular maint. on the car. EG: Type A,B,C,D, Empty your wallat

You can reset that stupid light easily. To do this:

push your cluster button in and hold it. Turn the key on to ignition II (keep holding the button for about 15 seconds. That resets the light.

Good luck with the ticket

Originally Posted by DDragon7
Could you even get a ticket on that side for that with an Ontario plate?

Yes you can

Last edited by EŽik; 08-30-2006 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2006
I Love Lamp

Lynk: i haven't read the ticket myself yet, nor can i considering it's in french, but i mean, i think it was because the tip was too big on it, and they took pics with a digi cam supposively... but supposively from the girl they said that the tip on it was illegal... i

'd have to maybe bring it to you freddy or someone so they can translate it for me
Old 08-31-2006

Originally Posted by burnhard88
Lynk: i haven't read the ticket myself yet, nor can i considering it's in french, but i mean, i think it was because the tip was too big on it, and they took pics with a digi cam supposively... but supposively from the girl they said that the tip on it was illegal... i

'd have to maybe bring it to you freddy or someone so they can translate it for me
yeah, just bring me the ticket and i'll look into that. As far as i know, there are no restrictions as far as the size of the exhaust tip. If there is, i'll find that out for you!

EDIT:
well... looks like i'll have to look into this for myself too... last night, while coming home from work i got pulled over and got a ticket for my exhaust... looks like they're really cracking down on exhausts in Gatineau. Although, after reviewing the quebec laws and regulations and what i was told by the cops that stopped me (two women) i should have no trouble fighting my ticket. Its just more of a hastle than anything...

Last edited by Lynk; 08-31-2006 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2006
Boredom causes changes ;)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Karumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura about
French - but information posted by a Montreal police officer on SAQ rules;

http://forums.montrealracing.com/sho...d.php?t=219299

Système d’échappement :

Selon les règlements actuels du CSR, il est permis de remplacer le silencieux d’un véhicule en autant qu’il est conçu pour un usage routier, qu’il ne présente aucune fuite, qu'il est solidement fixé et qu’il n’est pas plus bruyant que d’origine. Il peut par contre avoir une tonalité différente (par exemple être plus grave…)

Article du CSR :
Citation:
258. Tout véhicule automobile doit être muni d'un système d'échappement conforme aux normes établies par règlement.
Articles du règlement sur les systèmes d’échappement :
Citation:
91. Le système d'échappement doit comporter ses éléments notamment de collecteur, les tuyaux, le silencieux, les supports et les attaches.

Les éléments du système d'échappement doivent être solidement retenus aux points de fixation et aucun élément ne doit présenter de fuite de gaz aux raccords ou provenant de fissures ou de trous autres que ceux prévus lors de la fabrication du système d'échappement pour l'évacuation de la condensation par le fabricant du système d'échappement.

Toute réparation sur l'un de ces éléments doit lui conserver les mêmes caractéristiques que celles existant lors de sa fabrication.

92. Aucun élément du système d'échappement ne doit passer à moins de 50 mm d'un autre élément, tels une pièce en matériau combustible, un fil électrique, une canalisation de carburant ou de frein ou un réservoir de carburant, qui n'est pas protégé par un écran approprié contre la chaleur. Dans le cas des canalisations de carburant sous pression, de types GNC et PGL, cette distance minimale doit être de 150 mm.

De plus, aucune matière inflammable ne doit dégoutter sur un élément du système d'échappement.

93. Lorsqu'un élément du système d'échappement est localisé à proximité d'une porte d'accès de l'habitacle, cet élément doit être recouvert d'une structure protectrice s'il y a un risque de brûlure pour la personne qui y a accès.

94. Aucun élément du système d'échappement ne doit être remplacé, modifié ou enlevé de manière à rendre le système plus bruyant que celui installé lors de la fabrication du véhicule routier par le fabricant.

95. Aucun des éléments du système d'échappement ne doit traverser l'habitacle. La sortie du tuyau d'échappement ne doit pas être située sous l'espace réservé aux occupants et aux bagages. De plus, la sortie doit être située derrière toute vitre latérale pouvant s'ouvrir et le tuyau ne doit pas excéder horizontalement le véhicule de plus de 15 cm.
Il est a noter que ceci est le règlement actuel et que le tout est en remaniement afin clarifier le terme «plus bruyant». Où ils veulent en venir c’est de mettre une limite maximale de décibels auquel un véhicule routier peut produire, peu importe la cylindrée, la marque, le modèle. La limite de décibels pourra être différente par contre en ce qui concerne les motocyclettes.

=-=-

Basically the law is stating:

C'est un infraction au code de la sécurité de la routière de modifier le système d’échappement de manière à le rendre plus bruyant que celui d’origine

--
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue <- another member with frequent court dates

all i have to say is good luck (seriously). Just bring any documents you can proving this exhaust is for your make and model car, anything saying its streetlegal and conforms to the norms with pollution and that ****.

the cops know they can hand out exhaust tickets left right and center and get away with it. unfortunately for us people the quebec government or transport du quebec or whoever the hell makes up these bullshit laws mad the exhaust law VERY VERY vague.

-Changing the muffler or any other component of the exhaust system. The exhaust system must be solidly fixed, not leak and be designed for on-road use; it must not be noisier than the original.

that was taken straight from the SAAQ website about modifying your car. i say its vague but some will say that it is straight to the point but they dont know how to read.

it must not be noisier than the original........so ANY exhaust system that we can purchase other than at the dealer would be unaccepatable. most if not all exhaust systems bought at lets say minute muffler, or Napa or any other shop like that would be louder than the original but those are NOT ILLEGAL...WHY??? is it cause there isint a shiny chrome tip, bigger pipes?

so i have come to the conclusion that as long as we have bigger pipes, chromed tips or even just a nice looking car without an aftermarket exhaust we will get pulled over and harrassed for it.

until they get a decibil test in use i will continue to purchase and support aftermarket performance exhaust systems.
Old 09-01-2006

^ Can we get a translation?
Old 09-01-2006
I Love Lamp

lol, i was waitin for one of those...
Old 09-02-2006
I Love Lamp

i'm noticing something ever since my i got my 18's put on... when i had my stock 15's on or even my enkei 16's, i was able at almost the top end of 5th gear, i'd say at around 6,000 rpms i'd be able to go 205 km/h... now with the 18's... i'm lucky to hit 185... is it because the extra weight of my rims???
Old 09-02-2006

actually Charles, i just thought of sometheng... if it's the same as it was for me, you're actually going 5% faster than what the speedometer is indicating. Find a tire calculator online and you'll have your answer.

as for the translation... basically, in quebec, you can modify your exhaust in a way that will make it louder than stock... but if you wana fight it, then i'll be willing to help. Alot of stuff the cops say won't hold up in court cause most of the time they don't know what they're talking about. anyways, next time you see me on msn talk to me, and i'll help you out!
Old 09-03-2006
I Love Lamp

thanks freddy... i appreciate it... and i'll find that tire calculator thing a ma bobber
Old 09-03-2006

Karumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura about
To lazy to translate, sorry Erik. Maybe if I ever got unlazy - but I doubt it, as I have other more pressing issues like fixing the car

Originally Posted by Lynk
as for the translation... basically, in quebec, you can modify your exhaust in a way that will make it louder than stock... but if you wana fight it, then i'll be willing to help. Alot of stuff the cops say won't hold up in court cause most of the time they don't know what they're talking about. anyways, next time you see me on msn talk to me, and i'll help you out!
You forgetting a not in that bolded sentence of yours Freddy?

Basically from what I've read from the MR law section, the exhaust law in Quebec is much too vague. The supreme court action should have gotten at least a decibel level into the law, but it failed. Basically it is up to the police officer's discretion, which itself is vague.

How can a modified civic with a quieter exhaust than compared to a stock wrx be illegal while the wrx is not? Simple, it is not stock.
Old 09-03-2006

yeah... sorry... it's supposed to be "...you can't modify..."
Old 09-03-2006
I Love Lamp

wow, so what are you gonna do with the 240 then freddy??? considering you live in gatineau??? lol
Old 09-04-2006

I don't think it's really going to bother him..... depending on how much the actual ticket was. I think it's a stupid law. Unless it's causing too much pollution then maybe. but if it's not then they should leave it alone.
Old 09-04-2006
I Love Lamp

yeah... but i guess i'm gonna end up having to pay another freak'n exhaust bill... looks like i can't cross the border in my car... LMAO
Old 09-04-2006

Usually $150ish dollars for the ticket, that amount might bother me - though losing the time from work to go contest almost balances out then...
Old 09-05-2006

Tickets suck.
Old 09-05-2006
I Love Lamp

that they definatly do... ... i'm gonna have to drive my mom's hemi across to quebec now then, LMAO
Old 09-06-2006

^ I thought she was trading that beast in?
Old 09-08-2006
I Love Lamp

that's what i thought too!!! but i guess she decided that she can't drive a car anymore... believe she gets a HUGE power trip with the truck and the big ****'n moose bar... LMAO... u remember that bad boy erik... ... then again, i like having the power trip as well driving that thing, it'd suck to give it up, haha
Old 09-08-2006

What moose bar are you talking about?
Old 09-10-2006
I Love Lamp

on my mom's hemi man... the big steel one
Old 09-11-2006

Did I almost hit it or something?? I don't remember
Old 09-11-2006
I Love Lamp

LOL.. i don't think so... haha... it's just so big, and just so, there... LMAO... the cops actually commondeered it at dickenson's day in manotick and used it as a barracade cuz there was a riot... LMAO