Archive - Canada Forsale/Trade eh? Only post here if you have item for sale in Canada and will only sell to someone in Canada. Please start threads with your Province, like this: ON: or AB:

best way to buy/sell?

Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kirkerificus is an unknown quantity at this point
best way to buy/sell?

I'm new here and wondered what the best way to buy/sell stuff on the forum is? Was wondering what shipping company is best to use in Canada? Also wondering what is the best way to pay/recieve money for items? Could someone let me know how a typical transaction would take place? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

BigE19 has a spectacular aura aboutBigE19 has a spectacular aura about
Shipping probably Canada Post. Recieving money Paypal.

Other then that meet up with the person in a parking lot or somewhere else and trade off.
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

rjngo will become famous soon enoughrjngo will become famous soon enough
don't forget C.O.D. (cash/cheque/collect on delivery)
Old 10-20-2006
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Never do COD. Buyer always pays first.

I do all my shipping with Canada Post. They are the easy, fast and relatively painless to use.

The best way to send/receive money is with PayPal. You can link it to your bank account and credit card, and pay with either.

Another benefit of PayPal is that it also allows you to create shipments with Canada Post (or UPS). You create your shipping label, print it out, stick it on the box, and go drop it off at the post office. The benefit is that you don't have to wait in any lines. I've just started using this feature in the past couple of months, and it is very convenient, especially for someone like myself who does a lot of shipping.

UPS seems to be the "other" shipping company, and while I've used them many times. I don't prefer them. Every shipment I have created with them in person they have required me to fill out a long-*** form. Canada Post does not do that. One benefit of UPS however, is that their tracking system is much better than Canada Post. On occasion when using Canada Post, the tracking information will not get updated while the item is in transit. UPS on the other hand, has what seems to be an almost flawless tracking system. If you are ever shipping across the border, I ALWAYS use Canada Post, unless it's simply not possible. The reason being is that UPS likes to charge brokerage fees for bringing your items through customs. Canada Post *sometimes* does this also, but in my experience, it's neither as often or as bad. However, when shipping across the border, the receiver should be prepared to pay duty on the items that they are receiving.

You can choose to meet up in person to complete a transaction if you are close enough. I have done this many times as well. There is obviously the risk that the person will rip you off, but if you are careful, there will be no problems.

Do your research when you are buying or selling, and try to find any information on the user. Most, if not all forums have a feedback area where you can see their transaction history. If you get a user that has no feedback and is newer to the site that wants to meet in person, be cautious. I've heard of people getting jacked, and it's not fun. But like I said, I've done many deals in person, including having had several people come directly to my house, and there have never been problems.

Another note on cross-border shipping: if you live near the border, there are numerous companies on the other side that will let you (for a small fee, usually a couple bucks per item) ship packages to their address, where you can them come pick them up and bring them across yourself. You would want to use these companies in situations where somebody won't ship from the US to Canada, when you want fast shipping and don't want the item held up in customs, or when you want to try and avoid customs fees by trying to hide the item, or otherwise get through without paying. I've used these companies many times before, although I do not use them often anymore, because it can become quite time consuming to drive down to the border, wait in lineups, go through customs, etc, and then do it all again coming back, just for one package.

I think that's about it.
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

Redviking is on a distinguished road
If my paypal account is only linked to a credit card, can I also receive payments?

I never used my paypal account to sell stuff, because I am not sure if I will get my money!