Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

swap price

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paulymcd7 is an unknown quantity at this point
swap price

I'm sure it's on here somewhere but I'm not about to look through pages for a quick answer. About how much is it for parts for a k swap? k24 preferred or tell me the best combination of k20 and k24 parts. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: swap price

The k24a2 or a1 block with k20a2 head is considered the best swap. I think the k24a3 won't match with the k20a2 head.
Old 08-07-2013
Registered!!

paulymcd7 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks man! do you know about how much a swap would cost all together? need to start planning lol
Old 08-07-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

4-7000 depending on how you do it. More if you go with the straight up JDM K20
Old 08-08-2013
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

Price varies on your location and on your luck to find certain parts at low prices... some people can find the parts cheap on local sites such as cragslist or their nearby junkyards. I've been talking to a local guy who claims he did it all for under $2k by picking up parts over a two year span. He also said he would trade with some of the sellers.

It all comes down to your willingness to find parts and the availabilty of the parts in your area.
Old 08-08-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

2000 dollars isnt possible. The mounts alone are 400 dollars.. If you have the ability to weld the RSX mounts into the appropriate locations then yes you can do it for a lot cheaper but you won't do it for 2000. You will spend AT LEAST 4000 dollars on this swap I assure you. I can make you a parts list if you want I've made one dozens of times.
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

I'm in the middle of accumulating parts for a k24a1 swap out of a crv (picked up the motor with accessories for $400 last week! woot!) and my current budget is $3000-3500. $4000 if I decide to go kpro right away.

The k24 swap can definitely be done on the cheap if you wait around for deals and such.
Old 08-09-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Yea you can save money here and there but you will find it's the little stuff that kills your budget.
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

Yeah that stuff can add up fast. I'm trying to be meticulous about the planning and not be in a hurry so I don't nickle and dime myself to death. Don't want to end up with a car half put together, realize I need something, then have to pay a premium for it.
Old 08-09-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Yea.. you have to remember sorting out the exhaust, air conditioning if you want it. How to actually mount the engine... subframe... it can really add up ridiculously fast. Your best bet is to try and buy as complete of a swap as possible

Subframe
Half Shaft
Axles(base rsx if you want to use your civic knuckles)
Engine
Transmission
Mounts
Clutch lines
Power steering lines

Oh man I'm going to stop right there lol
Old 08-09-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

There is a K20 type R for $4600 complete with 6 speed tranny, ECU and axels. I think your in Jersey, the motor is in Maryland.

http://www.md-jdmmotors.com/engine_d...hp?EngineID=93
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
2000 dollars isnt possible. The mounts alone are 400 dollars.. If you have the ability to weld the RSX mounts into the appropriate locations then yes you can do it for a lot cheaper but you won't do it for 2000. You will spend AT LEAST 4000 dollars on this swap I assure you. I can make you a parts list if you want I've made one dozens of times.
I may have forgotten to add that this guy had an EP3 and not an EM2.

Last edited by CGaud; 08-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

That does make a HUGE difference in cost.
Old 08-10-2013
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

EŽik will become famous soon enoughEŽik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
4-7000 depending on how you do it. More if you go with the straight up JDM K20
After all parts and "unexpected problems" I dished out around 8k for my K20a

Every time I look at my envelope of receipts I cringe.

Check out my build thread for more info.
Old 08-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

How long ago did you do it? price has come down significantly in the last few years.
Old 08-11-2013

It was done last spring. However, it's always better to over budget. Plan on spending X amount, and it it costs less, then you can get those Mugen rims you've always wanted.
Old 08-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Did you use a K20A2 or a JDM K20? Definitely better to plan over budget.
Old 08-11-2013

Jay Dee Em
Old 08-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Yeeea so you payed around 4500 for the engine. You can find a K20A2 for 1500 dollars nowadays. SOOO 8000-3000=5000.. Noooot bad
Old 10-05-2013
Registered!!

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road

Realize this thread is a couple of months old, but for anyone who may be interested going forward

5 -8K minimum if you purchase used/ off brand stuff
More if you want quality parts
A whole lot more if you also want it boosted

The stuff necessary (off the top of my head);

Motor

Whatever parts the motor is missing/ or worn out (belt/ oil pump/ etc.)

You want the motor rebuilt… how about the head

Transmission

Resurface flywheel

Clutch

Will you want the axles locked

Will need to re-plumb the clutch line

Hondata or equivalent

Throttle cable

Subframe

Axles (Civic SI – but don’t be surprised if you end up upgrading to higher strength)

Will you want to retain the AC and PS – if so you’ll need to buy some expensive high pressure hoses

Motor mounts

Shift cables

May want to upgrade the shifter (the stock plastic one sucks)

Complete exhaust

Header

Radiator

Radiator hoses

Radiator fans

Either need to rewire the harness, or purchase an adapter

Likely need a billet TPS

Oil/ plugs/ who knows

Complete fuel system upgrade

A lot of fabrication

And I'm probably forgetting a few things

Ghost
Old 10-06-2013

Not sure what you mean by a whole new fuel system? We didn't upgrade anything in my EM2 for the new engine, and it works fine. No problems, and it's been 2 years strong now. As for the hoses, you can go to any autoparts store and get the necessary hoses you need cut to length. The only ones you may want to not cheap out on is the fuel intake line. Mine is drying out a bit. So I plan on ordering an OEM one from Acura. Just make sure you buy decent hose clamps.

The list above is pretty good. Lots of things to consider. You don't really know what you may still need (or are missing) until you actually start the swap. That's why people say to over budget.
Old 10-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by E%u00AEik
Not sure what you mean by a whole new fuel system? We didn't upgrade anything in my EM2 for the new engine, and it works fine. No problems, and it's been 2 years strong now. As for the hoses, you can go to any autoparts store and get the necessary hoses you need cut to length. The only ones you may want to not cheap out on is the fuel intake line. Mine is drying out a bit. So I plan on ordering an OEM one from Acura. Just make sure you buy decent hose clamps.
Think you would agree, the whole purpose of a swap is to gain performance (HP)

Also think you would agree, stock D17 and a K20 are different motors - performance wise

The stock EM2 fuel system is designed for stock - and it's not adjustable/ tunable

Using it to run a k20 will work (obviously because you are)

But any upgrades..., any running at higher RPMs..., anything done to the k20 that causes the motor to exceed the stock specs of the D17

The motor will run lean - and lean motors go boom

So one can absolutely run a K20 w/ D17 fuel system

The question is - why chance it

A solid fuel delivery system is the very foundation to building HP

=================

Side Note;

As I respond to K swap questions / posts, I'm trying to NOT give another false expectations

But rather set realistic expectations

So all my K20 reply's will be conservative by default

It is a lot of work

It will take longer and cost more than what you think

There is a lot of research and hunting down of parts required

When you've solved one problem - three more pop up

But - is it worth it - ABSOLUTELY

I simply don't want to see someone start - get frustrated / blow their budget / ultimately fail

I'd rather they start slow..., expect a lot of work..., expect it'll cost more - then end up successful - and possibly with a few dollars left over for gas

btw; upgraded fuel system does not mean higher pressure - usually - It does mean providing higher volume delivery capability at a constant pressure - thus eliminating potential for fuel starvation (running lean and gernading the motor)

Ghost

Last edited by Ghost Rider; 10-06-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Changed B17 to D17 d'oh
Old 10-06-2013

Agreed. Nicely said. This is something I may have to look into.

Edit: I think you meant the D17, not B17
Old 10-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by E%u00AEik
Edit: I think you meant the D17, not B17
Yes Sir, and I re-edited my post to replace "B" with "D"

Thanks

Ghost