Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Ebay JDM N1 Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondarider17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ebay JDM N1 Catback?

hey guys! im looking for a catback for my 04 civic ex/si ( canada)
IM on a tight budget, $120 max
how are the ebay catbacks, im looking at this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05...item1e66e4bfb7
Let me know what you guys think and have any suggestions!
thanks in advance!
James
Old 09-12-2011
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Ebay JDM N1 Catback?

Sorry to say but $120 won't get you a decent cat back.If you're looking for performance parts,I'd stay away from Ebay.
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

i did some reading and seems like that n1 catback seems pretty decent.
what can go wrong with it though?
thanks for the reply!
Old 09-12-2011

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

What N1 exhaust were you reading about?I've never heard of Cosmo Dynamic,but I know A'pexi makes a N1 exhaust.Judging by the fact that it's only $120 the quality isn't good.Maybe even lead to engine failure.Who knows it's ebay.I know for fact though an ebay turbo will destroy your engine.
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

Well i dont got much more to spend on exhaust
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

then save your money until you can afford a name brand cat back like apexi. if you buy a cheap exhaust it will end up sounding like crap and won't last very long. i have an apexi N1 cat back and i love it but it wasn't cheap.
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

im not gunna shell out $500 for a catback for a civic.
Piping is piping. How can it be that bad?
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

if your going to get ebay stuff i would go tsunami there like the top of the line ebay crap. but if i was you i would just cut the muffler off and replace it with a vibrant streetpower muffler there around 80-100 dollars then just have it clamped on.
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

I don't think I would ever buy an ebay exhaust, but I've had kinda the same thought as Hondarider about exhausts. instead of buying a $700 or whatever exhaust I've contemplated just going to a local exhaust shop and having them rig up a custom 2.25" or 2.5" (basically one size bigger than stock) or whatever cat back and then adding the street power muffler (my friend has one and I love it) on the end and calling it good.

Is that just crazy or dumb or what? It seems like it should work right? I mean the idea is to increase airflow by decreasing bends and increasing diameter without going overboard. Since some back pressure is actually good you wouldn't put a 3" exhaust on an otherwise stock civic, but as long as you kept it reasonable it seems like it should work just fine. Maybe? haha
Old 09-12-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hondarider17
i did some reading and seems like that n1 catback seems pretty decent.
what can go wrong with it though?
thanks for the reply!
N1 system are farty. they dont sound good...

and even worst, ur link is not a REAL N1 CATBACK....

look under the description... its an "N1 style" (means its fake)

which means...... its a generic ebay fart cannon that is welded together and you knows if it'll properly fit ur car.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 09-12-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

piping isn't just piping, there's a reason an aftermarket exhaust for an sti or evo could easily be over $5000 and for exotics like an R8 over $10000. The quality of the metal, welds, the engineering that goes into the design of the exhaust all make a difference in the sound and overall performance. Go cheap if you like, but it won't sound anything like a quality exhaust, the cheapest I would go is an hks.

Ebay exhausts also rust to ****, so you need to spray it with lots of header paint.
Old 09-12-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

1. fitment and 2. sound quality.

1. its prob gonna fit like crap. chinese made with out much R&D. if it doesnt fit right or bolt on right, then its gonna be useless......and that means u have wasted ur money on useless crap.

2. sound quality: ever heard those nasty *** exhast? most of the time its some generic fart cannon without the proper baffling/noise dampening. ur gonna prob get something that sounds like **** and goes BEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and its gonna make you look hella stupid.....not to mention to people and mostly cops.

but you know what, in the end, its ur car, your money. use it as you please...but these kinda advise are from people who have been stupid (and hard headed) and bought shitty ebay stuff only to realize it sucks *** and later down the line buy the legit stuff.

just like everything man, if u are going to do it, do it right the first time... so save you money, and buy a decent exhaust...there are used ones on here that sell for cheap.

my .02
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
piping isn't just piping, there's a reason an aftermarket exhaust for an sti or evo could easily be over $5000 and for exotics like an R8 over $10000. The quality of the metal, welds, the engineering that goes into the design of the exhaust all make a difference in the sound and overall performance. Go cheap if you like, but it won't sound anything like a quality exhaust, the cheapest I would go is an hks.

Ebay exhausts also rust to ****, so you need to spray it with lots of header paint.
Sorry to thread jack again, but this has been something that's been bugging me a while.

So, if you went to a reputable shop where you know the weld quality is going to be good and such and you made sure to get quality materials you could in theory get something good. But at that point you'd probably be spending about the same as a good kit?

haha I think I'll stick to a brand name cat back... or better yet, my ricer chrome tailpipe tip

I'm done thread jacking now, I promise.
Old 09-12-2011

the cheapest I would go is an hks.
i dont know if u can call the hks a cheap exhaust... its pretty expensive for just a tip (axle back)

and its harder to find now because they dont import/make them anymore for our cars.
Old 09-12-2011

oh yea man, none of this is personal and we hope u dont feel like we're talking down to you or anything. just friendly advise from people who have been there, done that and failed in order to know.
Old 09-12-2011

Originally Posted by Speed9117
Sorry to thread jack again, but this has been something that's been bugging me a while.

So, if you went to a reputable shop where you know the weld quality is going to be good and such and you made sure to get quality materials you could in theory get something good. But at that point you'd probably be spending about the same as a good kit?

haha I think I'll stick to a brand name cat back... or better yet, my ricer chrome tailpipe tip

yes...and actually it'll cost you more in a way. because those "high end" exhaust ARE mass produced to cut down cost.

and remember, throwing together an exhaust system is a gamble. you dont know the final sound of ur exhaust (where as the good exhaust manufacture will test out the exhaust, aka R&D, and make sure it sounds good.

for example akra exhaust are extremely high end. you are going to pay $5000+ but just look at their quality
http://www.akrapovic.com/car-exhaust/products/

^for crap sake, look at that!
Old 09-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Speed9117

It's a good thread jack, because this is a very valid option that a lot of people wonder about.

Any exhaust shop should be able to weld you up something custom and it should cost less compared to something like an apexi or greddy exhaust, even if you buy a good muffler. People are willing to spend the extra bit of cash on a complete name brand exhaust, because there's no hoping that the exhaust sounds good when you start the car the first time, you can listen to youtube videos and know exactly what it will sound like. Every subtle bend will have a slight impact on the sound produced, we don't think of it this way, but the flow of gaes through a complete (header to tip) exhaust is almost as complex as a musical instrument.

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i dont know if u can call the hks a cheap exhaust... its pretty expensive for just a tip (axle back)

and its harder to find now because they dont import/make them anymore for our cars.
It's just the axle back, but it sounds great and its a quality exhaust for under $350 if dezod can still get some. Unless your doing serious engine mods it's not that big a deal to only have an axle back and not a cat back, in my honest opinion.
Old 09-12-2011

...Unless your doing serious engine mods...
i couldnt help laughing when you said that....lmao
Old 09-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

i couldnt help laughing when you said that....lmao
I'm going to build my d17 and make my honda civic into a race car, so I need a full header to tip exhaust.

Old 09-12-2011

I'm going to build my d17 and make my honda civic into a race car, so I need a full header to tip exhaust.

dont forget the JDM cold air intake.... and the magnetic fuel stabilizer.
Old 09-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

woooooaaaaa!!!

did you feel that dude, vtec-e just kicked in.

Old 09-12-2011

woooooaaaaa!!!

did you feel that dude, vtec-e just kicked in.... yo

fixed
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

brobo will become famous soon enoughbrobo will become famous soon enough

i have an ebay exhaust and i would say save up for a real good one. mu head hurts so much from the loudness
Old 09-12-2011

To me,if you really don't have the cash flow for high quality parts,don't tune at all.Leave your car stock.Better to save up for quality parts than a new car.
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

oops i meant to say TSUDO exhaust not tsunami tsudo is the best of the ebay crap i used one for about 2 years before i upgraded it had a nice low rumble with the silencer on off it was to loud but it didn't rust at all through connecticut winters so if i had to choose it would be tsudo but knowing what i know now i would have saved my money and do it rite the first time anyway here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC...item56306a202f
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

Yeah everything you guys said makes sense. It's better to go with a known quantity... Something you know will sound good, not something you hope will sound good.

for example akra exhaust are extremely high end. you are going to pay $5000+ but just look at their quality
http://www.akrapovic.com/car-exhaust/products/

^for crap sake, look at that!
Duuuuuuude. These are pure exhaust shiny glory. They did a review on one for an Evo X in Modified and it was sex.

vtec yo! I feel like there needs to be a Johnny Tran vtec smilie.
Old 09-13-2011

^ I had a pic of that in my sig before.lol
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

You can pick up a nice used catback in the marketplace for cheap. Or just go with a vibrant muffler. If I could do it over I would have went with a vibrant.
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

thanks for all the help guys, and ive been keepin an eye out for used catbacks, havent found any unless you guys have, and where do i find a vibrant muffler?
Old 09-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

http://vibrantperformance.com/distributors.php

Quick Reply: Ebay JDM N1 Catback?