Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Has anyone here built a turbo kit from scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone here built a turbo kit from scratch?

Is there anyone here that's built their turbo setup from scratch? Meaning that you didn't just buy a turbo kit from a retailer and bolted it up?

The reason I ask, is because I feel that I want to mix and match so much stuff, that I would be better off just building from scratch.

I'm not seriously looking to start buying anything right now, but just to get an idea, for those who have built a setup from scratch, did everything turn out the way that you want? And do you feel like it would have been easier to buy a pre-fabbed kit? Or not?

And the last question would be, do you think it would be cheaper to build a kit versus buy a kit?

Old 07-09-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has anyone here built a turbo kit from scratch?

Everything always depends on your goals. The only thing I didn't have fabbed was my exhaust manifold and it was a one off prototype.

Putting a setup together is relatively easy and less expensive, depending on what route you go, again, it comes down to your goasl.

I, personally, wouldn't go any other way, there are far too many restrictions in an off the shelf kit to make use of everything that would come with it.
Old 07-09-2008
just a man with a civic

sicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of light

do you have an idea of everything you need to build your own?
i feel it is cheaper to build your own. and like andy said you would probibly get better results
Old 07-09-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, these are actually the answers I was really hoping to hear...

I'm going to buy my kit piece by piece. I think I'll be able to get some good prices by shopping around for stuff.

My goals would be two stages, first I want to extract 200 or a tad more, on stock internals the first time around. Then a while after that, when I feel the need ha ha, I'd like to get it built and then turn it up to reach 300 or a tad more.

This is exciting, I think I'm going to to buy my first piece of my kit next month.

VVVRrrrrooomm PSHT! VROOM! Ha ha sweet....

Last edited by Eyger; 07-09-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added cool sound effects.
Old 07-09-2008
just a man with a civic

sicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of light

good luck bro. keep us posted
Old 07-09-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Oh know what i just realized, I've been reading a bunch of articles, and haven't found one yet on how to choose your turbo size etc.

Does anyone have any good articles on selecting turbos? Or how to choose an appropriate turbo?
Old 07-09-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

andy posted a link to a good article on the Garrett site in his "new turbo installation has begun" thread

check there
Old 07-09-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Hm, I read all of those articles, but didn't quite take from it what I was looking for. I wonder if I can just call garret and discuss with them what would be a good turbo for the d17 engine.

I should just go out and buy the HKS T04z, heh heh, sweet...
Old 07-09-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Power is relevant. I don't think anyone will tell you that a garrett ball bearing turbo isn't excellent. Just sized appropriately to your goals...
Old 07-09-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Going from scratch is a nickel and dime pain in the ***. It still probably came out cheaper, but I would highly recommend knowing what you're doing before you do it. Otherwise you end up with lots of do-overs and oopses.

Originally Posted by Eyger
Hm, I read all of those articles, but didn't quite take from it what I was looking for. I wonder if I can just call garret and discuss with them what would be a good turbo for the d17 engine.
Look around on here and you'll see what people are using. Super60s, GT28 series turbos, T3/T4s... all your generally basic turbos will work just fine.
Old 07-09-2008
A long winded 7th genr

^yeah for sure. I'm not going to start buying anything yet, because I know I have a lot to learn. But I think I'd be happier with a scratch kit, rather then a full kit.
Old 07-11-2008
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice

patience is a virtue when piecing together a kit...
Old 07-11-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

You can buy mine
Old 07-12-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G
patience is a virtue when piecing together a kit...
****, we'll all die before you get your turbo together. You take it beyond patience to mere slackerness.
Old 07-12-2008
A long winded 7th genr

What Rufus are you selling your kit or something?

what kind of BOV do you have?
Old 07-12-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

The BOV is the only cheap part of my setup. It's a Greddy knockoff. I had to take everything off to get my new engine thorugh insurance and I'm just starting to think if I really want a G35 I better start selling stuff. My entire kit is only a few months old.
Old 07-13-2008
A long winded 7th genr

That's cool, if you get a for sale thread going I'll check it out.
Old 07-13-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I got into this one late, but I whole-heartedly recommend piecing together your setup instead of buying a kit. Yes, Justin had a good point that it's a real pain in the *** to track down and buy every little doodad and woozit that you'll need, especially if you're unsure of what goes into a turbo setup on a car that wasn't designed for it. But that being said, if you're any kind of control freak and want to decide each and every piece that makes up your car, it's the way to go. I don't regret piecing my build together at all.
Old 07-13-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Why yes I am a control freak and need to decide on every single thing! Foos, you should be a psychic!

I think about piecing a kit together as a way to learn more about turbos and all, versus having someone give me everything in a box. I think I would get more bang for my buck on doing a scratch kit.

What does everyone think should be the starting point for a scratch turbo kit? Do you think it even matters? Being that none of it works by itself? If I took an educated guess on where to start, I would say the turbo itself probably because you can get all the appropriate sized pieces to match later. What do you think?
Old 07-13-2008
Premium Member

I'm telling you mine would be perfect. I have everything. Even if you want to upgrade to a real greddy BOV the flange is already on the charge piping.
Old 07-14-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by Rufus
I'm telling you mine would be perfect. I have everything. Even if you want to upgrade to a real greddy BOV the flange is already on the charge piping.
Yo then, get a for sale thread going, I'll check it out. Seriously. My birthday is coming up, and I'll probably be buying myself a birthday present! Ha ha
Old 07-14-2008

I think the most important part of the physical build consists of three things.

1. Engine management
2. Turbo manifold
3. Turbo

The rest is just details, really. Those three things will make or break your setup.
Old 07-14-2008
Premium Member

Hondata Kpro w/cam gear $1160
SRT Injectors w/clips $65
Front mount Intercooler /w inlet outlet on the same side $200
Charge piping $100
Garrett t3/t4 $400
Aftermarket Air Filter $25
Dezod Manifold $200
Tial Wastegate w/7# spring $180
Greddy knock off BOV $40
Vacuum Block (in/out and 6 lines I think) $15
Tuning $550 (Locash racing)
Down pipe customon full DC sport Exhaust $300
=$3235

I'll give you everything for $2,500. I just want a damn G35 already

Again, the car made 175whp and the map sensor only reads 5.7lbs.

Last edited by Rufus; 07-14-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

$2500 is a sick deal, should sell fast as hell.
Old 07-14-2008

Damn that is a sick deal. We'll see how deep people's pockets are now!
Old 07-14-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

omg k-pro!!!!!!!!!! no.....................I need it!
Old 07-14-2008
Premium Member

I'll sell the Kpro w/cam gear for $1000.
Old 07-15-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Holy snap! Yeah I would take it off your hands if I had the money for the full thing! But damn, I think I'm get a piece or two off you though...
Old 07-15-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

omg ****in rufus....you're killing me......I got an 800 check coming to be by friday....if you still have it by then it might be mine!
Old 07-16-2008
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all

If you really want to learn get your hand on the book "Maximum Boost" By Corky Bell it will teach you everything you need to know about boost, not to mention boosting a n/a motor. I promise you wont regret it

Quick Reply: Has anyone here built a turbo kit from scratch?