Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

16.0 @ 87mph, wtf is that...??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
16.0 @ 87mph, wtf is that...??

just came back from track. 2002 civic, auto, 6psi, SF kit. i was hoping for atleast mid to low 15's. i mean, is 16.0 (which is my best, worst was 16.4) normal? seems a bit slow....wtf could be wrong. i got no boost leak, maybe my tuning? lets just say, if i have a rly shitty tune, will a good one make the car faster @ 6psi, or is it just for reliability
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 16.0 @ 87mph, wtf is that...??

ouch sounds like you messed up the launch, the launch is pretty much everything in the 1/4mile, but I don't know about launching in an auto hmmmmmm. but a good tune will almost always make your car faster and less prone to blowing up at the same time. A good tune can make a world of differrence.
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

do you have any of your slips?? i have the SF kit as well at 5psi and my best run last time was a 15.5 at like 93 or 94, but i had really sh!tty 60ft times....the launch is everything. i was running a guy in a y8 EG hatch most of the time. he was taking my lunch out of the hole and i'd run him down at the big end....

and a good tune is a must. what are you tuning with?
Old 05-20-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it all comes down to driving. ive seen manual na d17 do 15s before. but if you have no idea about track racing, its possible to get 20s with an evo so dont really let it upset you. if the car feels fast on the road, thats all that matters. now just wondering, how much whp did you have on the dyno? cause stock auto comes in around 90whp. boosted at 6psi should be 140 at least.
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

Hey GUys 41 will become famous soon enough

have you been to a dyno?

Last edited by Hey GUys 41; 05-20-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice

ahahah wow i ran 15s i/h/e when i had a d17

now it's 13s all day and some 12s with slicks
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

cant do much about a launch in an automatic... i really think its just slow do the tires break loose off the line? maybe some nice tires and lightweight rims would help out a lot
Old 05-21-2008
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

Damn.
either you forgot were the pedal was or your not maiking any power. My car stock wasnt much slower than that.
On nitrous i ran a 14.5 W/ 75 shot
10 PSI brought me down to a 14.00
and 16PSI will surely have me in the 13's.

you need to get that thing on a dyon or something. Since its an auto shifting cant be a problem unless its the tranny itself that is starting to go.
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute

did you load the torque converter on the launch? or was it just stepping on it when the light went? what are you tuning with?
Old 05-21-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

lolzzz what was your 60 foot time?
Old 05-21-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i can see it taking a while to accelerate cause with an auto, you cant just smash the gas and expect miracles lol.
Old 05-21-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
i can see it taking a while to accelerate cause with an auto, you cant just smash the gas and expect miracles lol.

you mean my driving instructor was wrong?
Old 05-22-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karizzle
maybe my tuning? lets just say, if i have a rly shitty tune, will a good one make the car faster @ 6psi, or is it just for reliability
What AFR are you running @ WOT? What RPM are your launching at( Brake held gas pedal to the floor)??? When i power brake mine and launch it im in boost instantly. What is being used to tune it?
Old 05-25-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2k1civic01
ahahah wow i ran 15s i/h/e when i had a d17

now it's 13s all day and some 12s with slicks
Yeah, that's believable

To the op, you have an auto... at 6 psi, you're maybe seeing 120-130 whp if your tune sucks....
Old 05-25-2008
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough

15.6 i/h/e 15' wheels at i forgot what mph when i had d17
Old 05-25-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, people are shaving off 1+ seconds with bolt ons that add 5 whp. WOOT!
Old 05-25-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andyman97
Lol, people are shaving off 1+ seconds with bolt ons that add 5 whp. WOOT!

by that logic, andy should be running like a 7.0
Old 05-25-2008
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by Envy

by that logic, andy should be running like a 7.0
Naw, I'll settle for 10's out of a d17
Old 05-25-2008
Premium Member

hows the big turbo doing?
Old 05-25-2008
Turbo Guru

It's on man. Tuning happens a week from tomorrow. The goal for this week is to get the downpipe fab finished and mated up to the rest of the exhaust. The downpipe is v-band and I want the center section all v-band as well so that when I go to the track, I can run open downpipe with race fuel.
Old 05-25-2008
Pinkslip Racer

karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough

ok sorry i neevr got back to this thread

1. i never dynoe'd it, i was street tuned, and halfway thru tuning my internal wastegate rod snapped, hence the fact i say i have a "shitty tune"

2. my tranny slips REAL bad, like, on the verge of death bad (if that makes a diff)

3. i have a a/f monitor, but i have no idea what it means (the apexi turbo timer) when driving normally it jumps fom 2.5x - 3.5x, and when at full boost, ive seen it constant 4.83, 4.84 and now as of late a constant 4.85

3. the car on the streets definately feels like it pulls. or maybe its in my head? i beat my friend's manual mx-6 v6 twice from a dead stop, and my other friend's 2001 prelude vtec from a roll. @ 9 psi i was almost neck and neck with my friends b16 civic hatch, and ive beat a vr6 golf @ 8psi

4. when i launch at the track i hold the brake down and floor the gas. ill get up to about 4 psi @ 2000ish rpm. i notice when the tranny goes from first to second, there is about a 1 second lag, where it rly kinda hesitates ( i dont know if a slipping tranny is the cause, or if all auto does it) cuz once it realizes its in 2nd, it flies all the way to third.

ok and a question. i asked on honda tech (check in the forced induction section, under the name vtak2nr, topic title, turbo making whirring sound, for details) about my turbo and now im lead to believe that it is blown

i want to buy a new turbo from ebay (just want to keep the vic turbo'd for a few more months until i get a g35 coupe....hopefuly ) but, seeing as how i bought my turbo in a kit last time, what am i looking for when buying a turbo? i mean size i know, t3 but flange type and all that? last thing i want to do is buy a turbo that won't fit, so what numbers do i need to look at? and what r they spose to be to fit my car??

thanks
Old 05-25-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

The downpipe is v-band and I want the center section all v-band as well so that when I go to the track, I can run open downpipe with race fuel.
Speaking of open downpipe! you should hear my sons boosted civic D16 run open downpipe(turbo just SCREAMS at ya). It makes for a complete different car. He hits 10 psi @ about 5000 rpm normally, then around 3500-4000 with open downpipe!
Old 05-25-2008
Premium Member

wow man honestly i would just give up. the car is trashed or very close to it, a street tune is no way to run a turbo kit, and the tranny sounds like its on its last mile. if you have to guess and make yourself think its making power, it probably isnt. seems like you wanted some more power without alot of work, so you threw the kit on expecting everything to work out. idk, i would just get the g35 if you can, sooner the better lol
Old 05-26-2008
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice

cant wait to finish mine after seeing that. 16's, here i come.
Old 05-26-2008
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G
cant wait to finish mine after seeing that. 16's, here i come.
Naw, just do bolt ons and you'll run 15's
Old 05-26-2008
Registered!!

Yeah, that's believable
probably elevation andy
Old 05-26-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by karizzle
ok sorry i neevr got back to this thread

1. i never dynoe'd it, i was street tuned, and halfway thru tuning my internal wastegate rod snapped, hence the fact i say i have a "shitty tune"

2. my tranny slips REAL bad, like, on the verge of death bad (if that makes a diff)

3. i have a a/f monitor, but i have no idea what it means (the apexi turbo timer) when driving normally it jumps fom 2.5x - 3.5x, and when at full boost, ive seen it constant 4.83, 4.84 and now as of late a constant 4.85

3. the car on the streets definately feels like it pulls. or maybe its in my head? i beat my friend's manual mx-6 v6 twice from a dead stop, and my other friend's 2001 prelude vtec from a roll. @ 9 psi i was almost neck and neck with my friends b16 civic hatch, and ive beat a vr6 golf @ 8psi

4. when i launch at the track i hold the brake down and floor the gas. ill get up to about 4 psi @ 2000ish rpm. i notice when the tranny goes from first to second, there is about a 1 second lag, where it rly kinda hesitates ( i dont know if a slipping tranny is the cause, or if all auto does it) cuz once it realizes its in 2nd, it flies all the way to third.

ok and a question. i asked on honda tech (check in the forced induction section, under the name vtak2nr, topic title, turbo making whirring sound, for details) about my turbo and now im lead to believe that it is blown

i want to buy a new turbo from ebay (just want to keep the vic turbo'd for a few more months until i get a g35 coupe....hopefuly ) but, seeing as how i bought my turbo in a kit last time, what am i looking for when buying a turbo? i mean size i know, t3 but flange type and all that? last thing i want to do is buy a turbo that won't fit, so what numbers do i need to look at? and what r they spose to be to fit my car??

thanks

1. get it tuned, your not making real numbers
2. tranny probably on its way out, do you have a tranny cooler, or change fluids every 15k-20k?
3. apxi turbo timer isn't a wideband, you're only reading your A/F correctly at idle...
4. Why buy an ebay turbo, when you can be a nice Garret T3 42/48 for $450 shipped, there's a Vendor on Honda-Tech selling them. Journal Bearing, Oil lubricated/cooled. Just not water cooled.
Old 05-26-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Tune is everything. I'm at 175whp on less than 6lbs. We actually only saw as high as 5.7.
Old 05-26-2008
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gearbox
it all comes down to driving. ive seen manual na d17 do 15s before. but if you have no idea about track racing, its possible to get 20s with an evo so dont really let it upset you. if the car feels fast on the road, thats all that matters. now just wondering, how much whp did you have on the dyno? cause stock auto comes in around 90whp. boosted at 6psi should be 140 at least.
My auto dyno'd at 100whp on a dynojet. Intake and exhaust...with exhause leak.

I know that if i swapped to a maual and install the stage2 cam I have laying here with a good tune I COULD see 140ish. I would hope a turbo with a good tune would at least do 170 with an auto at 7 psi. The biggest reason to switch to the manual tranny is being able to use a standalone solution....besides the whole reliability and lost hp.

Just my opinion....flame away.
Old 05-26-2008
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

Oh god I didnt read the explanation on pg 2....that explains alot...

Quick Reply: 16.0 @ 87mph, wtf is that...??