Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Headgasket gone.... AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Headgasket gone.... AGAIN

I'm ready to pull this turbo off. 5 days after getting a new HG, this one goes.
Old 04-25-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Headgasket gone.... AGAIN

whats the car doing?? Is the head warped? headstuds?

I am having problems w/ coolant push.....I never overheat
I am in the process of doing my headgasket right now.........I hope I don't have the same issue.

This does concern me because it happen to Clint the same way.....

What are you using to tune? I have a theory that the lack of ignition timing on a boosted D17 can cause extreme headlift because boost is happening at TDC!!
Old 04-25-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

whats the car doing?? Is the head warped? headstuds?

I am having problems w/ coolant push.....I never overheat
I am in the process of doing my headgasket right now.........I hope I don't have the same issue.

This does concern me because it happen to Clint the same way.....

What are you using to tune? I have a theory that the lack of ignition timing on a boosted D17 can cause extreme headlift because boost is happening at TDC!!
Old 04-25-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

give it time after you start pushing coolant long enough it will eventually overheat I used to push coolant. In fact I was pushing coolant for almost 3 months before i started running into overheating issues.

It was also happening to clint because he was throwing too much boost at it for stock head bolts anything over 6-8 lbs tends to do it. I was only pushing when I took it above 7000 rpm @ 8000 rpm it tended to push a lot.
Old 04-25-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

We just replaced the HG and put on ARP headstuds. I was driving today and the upper radiator hose blew off (they guys who did my HG didn't tighten it apparently). So I fill the car with fluid and it seems ok. I go for a drive and I'm just sitting there and it starts to heat up.

I filled it again, made it home, and now it's doing it again. I remember Andy was saying something about it possibly having to do with not having a return fuel setup.

The car is tuned on Kpro. I did datalogging and the MAP is only seeing 5.8PSI on ARP headstuds! WTF?!

I'm sitting in my driveway right now. The temp will creep up everytime. No smoke or anything though. I'm gonna go borrow a compression tester.

However, now that I think about it, it's not pushing any coolant... at all

Last edited by Rufus; 04-25-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by FoSho
Funny, my tuner suggest pulling back timing a bit.
Old 04-25-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here's the issue. You blew a coolant hose off....a major one and you got a grip of air in the system, hence air pockets, hence the block wasn't able to be cooled properly. The radiator hose caused it, plain and simple. Take the car back to the guys who did the work and demand they repair it. Their lack of tightening the clamp caused it to blow, they should stand behind their work. I'm boosting 20 psi and not having headgasket issues, it isn't the turbo bro, you have to make sure everything is good to go.

This is why I don't have shops do mechanical maintenance work on my engine. Most of them half *** stuff and I know the engine waaaay better than they do. Here's my suggestion. Pick up a new headgasket and do the repair yourself. You have my number, if you need to be walked through it, I'll help you out. Don't get discouraged, this isn't that big a deal.

Oh and the return line is directly related to power, not the headgasket. The only link would be if your fuel pump and injector setup was maxing out and causing lean conditions. Get a wideband to monitor if you don't have one already.
Old 04-25-2008
Registered!!

ya that changes things....the radiator hose definitely entroduced an air bubble or you did damage to your headgasket again.
Old 04-25-2008
Premium Member

I've don 3 headgaskets on this car before, that's not the discouraging part. The car wasn't driven more than a quarter mile with the hose popped off and the temperature never went up before I turned the car off when it DID pop off. Only after.

I will say it is possible that something could have happened afterward. ie. When I refilled the system, because of the air bubble, the car heating up could have done damage.
Old 04-25-2008
Registered!!

Yep....you got it.......only thing is though...

I had a long discussion with my tuner about coolant push & head lift.
He said SOHC motors even the d16 are notorious for head lift. He said he's done full headgaskets, studs, built bottom end, hondata, and still not be able to stop headlift & coolant push.......He's been around a long time so I trust his opinion! He did blow my headgasket on the dyno but hey! haha

Mine fires up this weekend....time will tell!
Old 04-25-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

Start with the basics......

Is the cooling fan kicking on?
Is the system purged of all air?
Have you had a combustion leak test done on it?(very inexspensive at most shops)
Is the thermostat opening?
Old 04-26-2008
Premium Member

Turns out the coolant system STILL had air in it. Car seems fine now. lol
Old 04-26-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

wow. lol. good job though. you should always start with the basics before assuming stuff like a head gasket
Old 04-26-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

i was just gona write u should breathe it .. just turn the heater on full blast and open the cap let all the bubbles go do it for about 5 mins and top off the coolant but i see that u figured it out lol ... andyman is rite, im not sure if u have it or not but make sure u get a WIDEBAND .. best thing. I was boosting so lean 16s AFR and I didn't pop a head gasket, jus cuz i saw and took caution. its ur best insurance
Old 04-26-2008
Registered!!

good job man!

^^
Emjay....what you tuned on? Thats alot of power for 6 psi!!!
Old 04-26-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

yay! head gaskets...im doing mine next week.. this is #2 for me. well, technically, 3, but i dont count one because i was taking the head off to put on another block. lean conditions are FTL big time.. no more butt tuning for me. next time it goes on a dyno. eh...just another excuse to drive the supra..
Old 04-26-2008
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rufus
Turns out the coolant system STILL had air in it. Car seems fine now. lol
Thank god, those are the best fixes...
Old 04-28-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep....you got it.......only thing is though...

I had a long discussion with my tuner about coolant push & head lift.
He said SOHC motors even the d16 are notorious for head lift. He said he's done full headgaskets, studs, built bottom end, hondata, and still not be able to stop headlift & coolant push.......He's been around a long time so I trust his opinion! He did blow my headgasket on the dyno but hey! haha

Mine fires up this weekend....time will tell!
That doesn't make sense to me.... that's a bs reason for damaging your headgasket.
Sounds to me like your tuner is making excuses for ****ing your **** up. I've had so many dyno sessions and I've never popped a gasket on or off the dyno for any other reason that lean fuel conditions....
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

Not an excuse......The turner & I both agree it blew on the dyno.....not anybodies fault. We just pushed the car it's limit. I agree'd to up the boost to 9 psi....when it leaned out under boost several times my headgsket was done. RSX injectors + stock fuel system + 9 psi = alot of power but headgasket damaging aswell.

He's just telling me his experience.........SOHC cam motors are made for 90whp ya know? We can do things to help stop the normal things happening in an engine...headlift and such. I put studs in hoping it will do the job. I guess we'll see.

Boost in a nonboosted motor = alot of hardships that few can master.....then you're gonna say we'll I run 20 psi in my motor and yada yada....well you're one of the one's that did master this. You throw enough money at something and you'll eventually fix it for the time being.

I'm sure honda did not design the stock headgasket to be hit with 9 psi let alone 20

Last edited by FoSho; 04-28-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2008
Turbo Guru

It's detonation and clamping force. If you're trying to max a fuel system that can't keep up with the power level you're trying to reach, shame on you. It isn't a matter of throwing money at it but a matter of doing things right. If you run a stock fuel pump and 310 cc injectors, it won't take long to max them out. You need to step up your fuel system. All of these issues can be avoided by researching and doing your homework.

What I'm saying is that' it's a copout to say "SOHC Honda motors are notorious for blowing headgaskets," or "the headgasket wasn't designed to withstand boost." The fact of the matter is, it will take a hell of a lot of power to lift a head, or just enough detonation due to lack of fuel. Making 200 whp is not enough power to lift the head off of the block if you have safe afr's and igntion timing. All the gasket does is keep a seal between the head and the block.

But you really have to have an understanding of what happens in the combustion chamber and the shock that the rest of the rotating assembly takes when you have detonation. That's why people throw rods through their engine blocks....
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

I completely agree....I researched the **** out of my 5k venture....I believe for 2-3 years before I comitted. I know exactly what I need to do.....I can research all I want but without these parts in my hand it means nothing. Thus why I said....enough money and it will get done. Money = time/parts....you got enough of those you're golden.

So I guess until I get a new job I'm crossin my fingers, boostin on my greddy emanage, rsx injectors, and 8 psi.......

I do take donations......

I'm off to go understand what happens in a combustion chamber...you made my mechanics laugh at that one...It's the joke of the day

Last edited by FoSho; 04-28-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2008
Turbo Guru

I'm off to go understand what happens in a combustion chamber...you made my mechanics laugh at that one...It's the joke of the day
I said what happens in a combustion chamber when you detonate, genius.
I imagine it's funny because you have no idea of what I'm talking about....
...which is why you keep blowing headgaskets and your genius tuner blames in on being a sohc honda motor, lmao. You should prolly do a little less **** talking and a little more reading.

Sounds like the joke's on you, I'm not the one blowing headgaskets on the dyno

Last edited by andyman97; 04-28-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Andyman is right, also why are you boosting 9 psi on that big turbo and RSX injectors? I'd bet money you'd have a safer setup running lower boost. But I'm sure you've already figured that out. Hope you can upgrade that fuel system and stop having issues.
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

Wow.......ok so you are a complete dick....I hadn't said **** yet but man **** you.

I am a graduate of Wyotech, am ASE certified, & 8 years in the automotive field. I completely understand what is and what is not happening inside of a combustion chamber....under detonation or not. The reason my mechanics think it is funny because they know I know what the **** is up. The joke was on me because some dumbass on civicforums built one civic and thinks he is gods gift to the turbo & civic community is telling me how it is. This is why my mechanics made it the joke of the day...a joke towards me...but thats ok you jump for a chance to knock someone down.

This is why people have left the forums.......**** heads like you. Up on your mighty horse. You should just open up your own shop & shut me up. With all your experience and all. Wait whats your day job? I ****ing do this for a living.....

No one is arguing the fact that 9psi on a stock fuel system blew my headgsket. I do not run that on the street. Thus what a dyno is for.....I wanted to see how much a stock D17 could push. I run 7-8 psi on the street all day long...no issues....sorry can't beat me down there

Years ago when I first started my civic project I looked up to people like Andy & Boiler......the more time I have spent on here the more people I really dislike. This is a place for learning & sharing ideas. I was sharing the idea of another highly respected tuner in the field....nope....I can't say anything without having Andyman ok it first....afterall you are the Turbo Guru......My tuner is not giving me excuses he is telling me his experience....WE BOTH KNOW LEAN AFR'S BLEW MY HEADGASKET..and I've only blown 1 headgasket genius....

I think Boiler & tnaaf are probably two of the most helpful and respectful people I've met on here. I always look forward to there comments. Not so much yours Andy.

So until you've put the time & hardwork I have into the automotive field....shut the **** up!

Last edited by FoSho; 04-28-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2008
Turbo Guru

Haha, don't hate me because you phrased your post wrong and got called out on it...

I've been around this forum since '02. Ppl started leaving because of ownership changes, not because of me.

Maybe you shoud re-read all of your posts towards me and think from a different perspective of how they came across. As far as helping people, I still get a grip of pm's all the time from members asking for my help. But I've got no need to prove myself to you, I give a **** what you think.

And if your post was intended as how you just stated, I will apologize for being a dick, I clearly took it out of the context of how you meant it, but you should re-read what you posted and maybe you'd understand why I repsonded harshly.

And **** you too, lol.
Old 04-28-2008
Premium Member

I will say Andy has helped a lot on things with me. My tuner hasn't always agreed but that's ok. It's just sharing ideas and info.
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

You know what fosho, andys right. And you say that you are a Wyotech graduate and ASE certified and that you researched the **** out of your 5 thousand!!!! dollar turbo kit and yet you are running a cheep shitty greddy e-mangle and rsx injectors and your trying to do 9 psi i'm sorry but i'm rolflmao.

5 thousand dollars is a **** load of money! And with that money you should at least be smart enough to run a decent standalone system and better injectors (a set of used SRT-4 injectors are not that much on ebay ya know).

If your so smart then why did you buy your kit from dezod instead of just piecing it together your self, and have a much nicer kit for the same price? hmmm

So I am backing Andy up and saying **** you too your an idiot
Old 04-28-2008
Turbo Guru

Lol, +rep for you. This guy can't help but look like a dumbass. Post one thing, then gradually change a story, then flat out attack me because I call bs, on top of which, has a negative trader rep, someone who's opinion really makes a difference! Haha, I'd call it quits and stfu before looking even more stupid.

Last edited by andyman97; 04-28-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

Mralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to behold

**** you too.

Andy is my turbo daddy... i go to him when i need help with anything, he's nice enough to give me his cell phone number so i can call him if i need his genius advice. He comes off as an egotistical *****, but he's trying to help you out... plus he's allowed to come off that way, look at his car.

Last edited by Mralbino; 04-28-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

wow.....you guys are right. I'm seen the errors in my way. I should just give up my turbo dreams and join the andy cool club..........I should sell the turbo, get my 5 grand back, & send it all to andy because he's so great. I see those post times. Man did ya live on here today or what? I'm glad to see you spent so much of your day on me! Thats makes me feel special!

I don't ever recall once changing my story, genius. Plus, the -trader rep was from one of the other many so delightful members here who I bought a part from and he tried to rip me off. Great to know the community has such great people!

I do so apologize to the turbo master andy and his possie of members to his aid! hah!

You guys talk about how I'm so smart that I run an emanage? We'll ya guys ever been broke? I followed my dream & do it everyday. I spend so much time making myself better to help & fix others vehicles....I sure aint in it for the dough! So I'm sorry if you laugh at my behalf but I'm broke.

But thats why you guys sit here on your computers pretending to know and do what I do all day long. Have a nice day gentlemen and if not just get your extra strength vagisal out, call andy, & he'll walk you through the proceeder

oh and Bomerman.....so what else on the market is better tha dezod for the d17, you idiot? I think Paul could debate you on that one

Last edited by FoSho; 04-28-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Headgasket gone.... AGAIN