Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Popcorn

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Popcorn

Haha, so I noticed my jaz mini catch can w/ breather on top is making noise. A popcorn noise if you will, sounds like a bag cooking in my engine. It's pretty funny sounding. I have one line run to the stock pcv valve that is drilled out on the intake mani. The other line is run to the outlet on the valve cover.

I noticed I barely get any oil out when I dry it.....any suggestions.
Old 10-17-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Popcorn

Mine does the same thing man. I don't think there is any problem with it doing that. It's done it with all 3 head gaskets.
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

So if I go turbo I get a bonus.

Turbo installs for $7,000.00 BUT WAIT! THATS NOT ALL! You will also get the new and improved pops-a-lot popcorn catch can. It is a catch can that has multi functionality. Not only does it catch the Excess oil but will make a delicious bag of fresh popped popping corn...
Old 10-17-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

ive got mine routed the same way, i dont have any noises..
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FoSho
Haha, so I noticed my jaz mini catch can w/ breather on top is making noise. A popcorn noise if you will, sounds like a bag cooking in my engine. It's pretty funny sounding. I have one line run to the stock pcv valve that is drilled out on the intake mani. The other line is run to the outlet on the valve cover.

I noticed I barely get any oil out when I dry it.....any suggestions.
PCV valve on the intake manifold??? I though the PCV valve was mounted in the back of the block, hehe. Its part 3 or 4 depending on your model.

The original hose went to a vaccum port on the intake manifold. You should have one hose going from the back of the block (pcv) to the catch can, one from the valve cover to the catch can, and either vent the can or run another hose to your turbo inlet. If you run the hose from the intake manifold to the can and then the other from the valve cover to the can you are pressurising your crankcase which is very bad for an engine. Leads to blown oil seals, poor ring seal and in some cases blown engines. That might be your HG problem foos. The popping noise could be the PCV fighting the pressure or from fluctuating between vac and pressure.
Old 10-17-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think so.

PCV valve is gone and I've replaced the PCV valve with a 1/8" NPT nipple, which has a hose that runs into the catch can. Catch can then runs a hose to a slash cut nipple in the turbo inlet, like you described Gerry. That inlet on the IM that the PCV used to be plugged into is the one I used as the source for my vac mani.

Originally I just had a longer hose running to a filter for the valve cover breather (it popcorned then). Since it would spray a little oil mist up my windshield - I had it by the master cylinder - I just routed it into my catch can instead. I still get the popcorn sound. I have no idea what it is, but it doesn't seem harmful.

I don't know what it is, but I'd welcome any other guesses you may have man!
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

sorry, yes I meant back of block...I'm trying to type fast...busy day at this dealership. I fully understand the importantance of a catch can. I couldn't find a nipple for those treads around. I just took the stock pcv which looks like a big nipple & compeletly drilled it out. So now I have a honda OEM nipple

Took me about an hour and 4 drill bits! Honda knows how to make a PCV !!!
Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

try using a different catch can if it bothers you, I've never gotten that sound from any crank evac setup. It must be the can.