Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Driving with wastegate open, is it that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Driving with wastegate open, is it that bad?

so a buddy of mine is going to install my turbo kit. and since he wont have time as summer approaches he'd like to get the job out of the way. thing is, i wont have the $$ to get tuned for a lil while after (id say a month or two) so what i wanna know is, if i drove the car with the wastegate open for 2 months, ill it cause much dmg to the turbo? my buddy says no, my other friend says it will because the turbo will just be spooling for nothing.
Old 03-27-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Driving with wastegate open, is it that bad?

Internal or external? If the turbo's got oil going through it, it shouldnt hurt anything, but I dont know why the install can't wait. It seems sensless to install it, then wait 2 months to tune it (and possibly find out there's a problem), just tune it and be done. A decient tune should be 300-400 bucks and its done.
You could set the car up, plug the oil pan tap, put the kit in bolt on form then take it off. Reinstall it right before you're ready to tune it.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 03-27-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
Re: Driving with wastegate open, is it that bad?

i'll just have a couple boxes sitting on the shelf in the garage til i decide on engine management...