Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Gettin' the hang of this...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civ_nate is an unknown quantity at this point
Gettin' the hang of this...

Okay so im new to boosting, but i have asked a few questions on here and done a bit of reading....
I bought a T3 42/48 Garret
i might have a IC tongiht aswell.

Wondering, i have the non-vtec d17 so sould i run emanage or vafc2? and why?

Also witht he fuel, since we have the returnless system, i am planning on 7psi as the turbo is interal wastgate set at that, and i was planning on running rsx-s injectors and i guess i need longer studs for the fuel rail, anything else?

Ignition wise, is thier any upgrades we can make to our ind ciol system? i am assuming no MS ignition avail since i cant seem to find any, and it cannot be converted to one ciol pack either, so are cold plug the only thing avail?

tks guys, apprectiate the input and plz no " if ya dont kno what ur doin dont boost" kind of comments cuz im tryin to learn so that i soon wont have that problem
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

tnel2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont boost so i have no comment ! my k20 is fast enough!!!!
Old 03-05-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
so ur telling us, youve already started buying turbo parts and still are not sure???

shouldnt you hve asked and know EVERYTHING (or most of it) before you start buying....

btw, props for boosting =]
Old 03-05-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tnel2005
i dont boost so i have no comment ! my k20 is fast enough!!!!
quit braggin! lol

sorry if my comment was off topic as well
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
If you run emanage at least you will have better tuning capabilities with ignition timing. The only upgrade you can make are colder spark plugs and upgraded coil packs. We do not have distributors, the ecu handles all of that.

Your car will also run better if you go PCS its another option to tuning if you don't wanna go full stand alone. PCS does not have igntion timing as of yet but has a cool auto tune feature that can help tuning if you have a wideband.

Last edited by ronaldo9; 03-05-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

Well i technically have not bought anything yet, im going to look at the turbo and IC tongiht..... but i have a pretty good idea what im doin so far in general its just the d17 spec and obd2 specific stuff im wondering now
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

okay so the emanage has better tuning capabilitys but cannot tune vtec from waht i understand?
Old 03-05-2007
Banned

account 22 is an unknown quantity at this point
you'll need 2x slim fans since its t3/t4
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
If you have an LX and do a vtec head swap all you have to do is send a 12v signal at the rpm you want and viola you have vtec with no ecu interference. Problem is with the EX ecu, it gets screwy if you try to set the vtec engagement with emanage bc ecu has its own parameters to operate vtec if that makes sense. The ecu will fight with the emanage and thats why its hard to tell if they work together.
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

okay so
vtec = vafc2
non-vtec = emanage
i have this right then?
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

I still think you should consider PCS.
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

pcs????
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
i would do the pcs
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

whats pcs boys?
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

Powertrain control systems
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...ontent-22.html
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

so i understand this pcs thing, its basically a ecu piggyback that will only play with air/fuel, whats the diff between that and a emanage?
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

It works a lil bit differently from Emanage but essentially does the same thing minus the ignition timing. However, with PCS you can datalog in real time and auto-tune with a wideband to get perfect air fuel ratios that emanage blue simply cannot do. PCS is more comparable to emanage ultimate but I had a chance to see it in action on Wilmnchris's dezod turbo and it works wonders. His car drives like a stock car no issues what so ever.
Old 03-05-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
Originally Posted by civ_nate
okay so
vtec = vafc2
non-vtec = emanage
i have this right then?
Let me make this simple for you. Get the VAFC2 out of your head completely, this is NOT a good tool to use when boosting. Its better than having nothing but it's not a good engine managment solution.

The emanage can be used for both D17A1 and D17a2, it has dials and settings so you can adjust to whatever platform you are using. IF you swap to a VTEC head then you just have to run a wire from the emanage to the VTEC solenoid and it will engage vtec when you set the emanage to do so.

The VAFC2 is decent for people going all motor, it helps extract a few more hp with the basic bolt ons but def not for turbo.

I've heard PCS is good but it sitll bothers me that there is no ignition control, it just adds more fuel to reduce the chance of detonation. A couple guys have had success with it though but because of that it is limited. On the other hand Emanage has caused headcahes for lots but overall has all the abilities you need for a decent cost.

Cheapest/Decent tuning ability - Emanage ($600-$700with all optional equip + cost of tuning)
Most Expensive/Best tuning ability - AEM EMS ($1600 + cost of tuning)

Cheap, reliable, turbo don't go together. Do it right the FIRST time.
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

so to make this run, i need only the pcs for the ecu setup... i dont need to swrew with the ignition timing?
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

okay cool, so NO vafc2, cool deal.
So emanage is prolly the best to go with by the sounds of it but.... do i need to play witht he ignition or no? cuz if not then i mgiht try this psc things as im onyl running 7 psi and no breaking land speed records LOL
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

You do not need to modify ignition timing up to 6 pounds. Anything more just make your map really rich in the high rpms to minimize/prevent detonation. Otherwise with emanage ppl retard ignition timing.
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

lol im running 7 psi, that matter?
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

with the rsx-s injectors, running 7psi do i ahve to worry about detonation
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

You will detonate as long as your lean so a good tune is key. RSX s injectors will be able to handle up to 10psi or 200whp usually. After that you are at risk of maxing out the injectors.
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

okay so it doesnt matter as long as im tuned good i wont denonate, but the injectors will give enough fuel for the 7psi im running. sweet i cant ****ing wait to have this kit under the hood, i have the turbo now, getting the IC hopefully tongiht and a RFL BOV
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

i was also wondering, compared to most boosed honda, liek the bseris and what not u see alot, is this motor [ my D17 ] and more of a headache or are they fairly tough engines for boost? keep in mind im not breaking land speed records, im running 7psi
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

D17's can handle and like boost but they're not as friendly to work on bc there is very little room to work with with the design of our engine bay. A mildly boosted b series can hit 250whp easy where as d17 can make 200hp on mild boost at best. See the difference.
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

yep, but they can hold boost a bit more durabily they a b can?
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

so i "should" have less problems then the avarage boosted b seris motor...
any idea where a garrett t2 a/r 42 will spool ? rpm range i mean...

Last edited by civ_nate; 03-06-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

Never heard of a T2 only T25/28. Boilermaker and Skipbarber know more about these turbos but I've heard very early like 2800-3500 at full boost.

Quick Reply: Gettin' the hang of this...