Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

a bit of a complex question about a swap... which one? look inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gorritaverde1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question a bit of a complex question about a swap... which one? look inside

ok, i have a 2005 LX, its mostly stock (engine) since i knew one day i was gonna swap the motor. ive read the stickies around, but normally most are about the RSX-S 2.0 I-vtec or the 2.4 from the CRV and accords... where i live, i know about 4 guys who have a civic, but the 6th gen but one of them have a ZC (not sure if thats the right way to spell it) engine, and its turboed and nitroed. i know he has invested a lot of money, but he tops his car at a 155 MPH and thats because he rans out of street to continue. i want my engine to at least get to 350 Wheel HP (without nitrous) cuz im tired of seeing STi kick my *** lol. anyway im getting 10k from an heritage and prob can get some more later to continue my work. now the question: can the RSX-s motor top 350hp or more? or is there a better engine, even if its expensier, but that can put on more HP? because i know that not always the biggest motor is the best one. Example: the VW GTI vr6. people where i live trade the vr6 for the 1.8 turbo and ive seen the 1.8 racing the vr6 and they kick their asses. plus with the vr6, the weight ratio of the car is catastrophic. so anyway i want a motor that can be made (if its not already) DOHC Vtec Turboed and made internals and everything custom/mod that can reach at least 350HP. i would love 400, but lets be real... any suggestions? thanks
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

gmag21 will become famous soon enoughgmag21 will become famous soon enough
k20 from type-s
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

hmm, why from the type S which is the k20 a2 and not the one from the type r which is the k20 a? i believe the k20 a comes with a 6 speed transmission, which i would love to have. still not sure on which one of those 2... i was browsing the hmotorsonline.com page looking for different motors and those 2 from RSX sound nice, but what are the diference between them and which one can you get the most HP from?
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
There are many differences between the k20a and k20a2. Off the top of my head/cams/intake manifold/gearing/CP ratio/and I think exhaust manifold are all different. A boosted K-series can make 350-400whp. I don't know how hard it is to make those numbers but it has been done before. Check out K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum there is tons of info there.
Old 02-19-2007
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
k24 with a type-s head with a GT30R will get you there and then some!
Old 02-19-2007
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
you can build a monster K24-k20 head engine that will be a complete sleeper, now you add some minor boost and Kpro and it starts to get real sneaky
Old 02-19-2007
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
All your answers can be found by BROWSING K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

a2 is more turbo friendly than a
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

SpeedFreak is an unknown quantity at this point
just some personal experience, 350 whp is a butload of power. Most people dont realize how much power that is. That aside, if you want 350 safe and realiable whp you gotta build the engine, new rods, iron sleeved, pistons etc. Then you gotta decide wether you want a standalone or piggy back engine managment system. I herd hondatas pritty good I used SimpleDigitalSystmes Em-4 which is extremely easy to use and had a decent base map to work from. I'm guessing that you don't have much experience tuning so your going to spend some serious cash on dyno time. Basically make sure you know what your getting into or you will waste tons of money and end up with a POS
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

^^^^^
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

simplicated1979 will become famous soon enoughsimplicated1979 will become famous soon enough
k20a2
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

dust is an unknown quantity at this point
andyman did it with the vtec d17 fully built engine for a whole cheaper than an engine swap. AND BELIEVE ME i have seen it a couple of times in person, looked under the hood, heard that sweet BOV and heard that exhaust gas run through that muffler. Seeing his car will make anyone second guess a swap
Old 02-20-2007
Registered!!

by any chance you know how much wheel HP that car with the d17 is pulling? is it DOHC or SOHC? because i was thinking about a swap for higher HP and the motor wont be so "stressed" since the k20 is bigger and a bit stronger. anyway thanks for all your info, ill be trying to look around for the k20 a2 where i live. that motor comes with the 6-speed tranny right?
Old 02-20-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
it will mate to 6 speed...good luck on your quest for power.
Old 02-20-2007
Registered!!

Buds302 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gorritaverde1
by any chance you know how much wheel HP that car with the d17 is pulling? is it DOHC or SOHC? because i was thinking about a swap for higher HP and the motor wont be so "stressed" since the k20 is bigger and a bit stronger. anyway thanks for all your info, ill be trying to look around for the k20 a2 where i live. that motor comes with the 6-speed tranny right?
andyman i think is makin 335HP and 255 tq at 18 psi...atleast thats what his profile says and hes runnin a Dezod turbo kit.. on stock sleeves
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

wow 335 hp with the d17 SOHC really does make you second think about a swap. by any chance is there a 6-speed transmission for the d17? because ive looked around, but never found any... well thanks for info again !
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

Yaj00003 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want 350whp from a K20 it cost too much plus you have to go turbo....you could just fully built your D17 and turbo it and get as much horse and less cheaper...
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dust
andyman did it with the vtec d17 fully built engine for a whole cheaper than an engine swap. AND BELIEVE ME i have seen it a couple of times in person, looked under the hood, heard that sweet BOV and heard that exhaust gas run through that muffler. Seeing his car will make anyone second guess a swap
i doubt what andyman did was less than a swap, dezods regular kit plus all that stuff u need + install(if you cant yourself) is close to what it costs for a k20 swap and that turbo setup would be putting out under 200hp not 335 or w/e andys is.
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

I donno if Andyman has dyno sheets, but 335 hp with a Dezod Kit? Im not knocking the kit at all, but thats like a 300% increase over stock. I would like to know what other mods he has.
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
I donno if Andyman has dyno sheets, but 335 hp with a Dezod Kit? Im not knocking the kit at all, but thats like a 300% increase over stock. I would like to know what other mods he has.
go research it yourself. dont expect other people to provide you all the info. its all posted here
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

I took your advise; Andyman definately knows what hes is doing and a but load of work went into his vic. I also checked out some of dezods posts and I saw that somebody with his kit is pushing 400 hp and also has a fully built engine, alot of dyno time etc.
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

right now, i found a k20a2 with a 6speed tranny for 3300 where i live, plus taxes (its 5.5% here) but seeing you all saying that with the d17 reaching the 400hp really makes someone think twice about the swap or stay... i havent still made up my mind sicne the last posts ive seen here. umm some quick questions: is it hard to make the normal d17 to a vtec DOHC? is there a 6 speed tranny for the d17? ive never seen any. thanks
Old 02-22-2007
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, I cannot believe some of the posts in here... lol. I can GUARENTEE you that everything Andyman bought, at a price available to YOU, would be more then a swap. Not saying there's a problem with that. Also, the D17 is going to max out WAYYYYYYYY before an k series does. It's just a fact of life.
Old 02-24-2007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
Wow, I cannot believe some of the posts in here... lol. I can GUARENTEE you that everything Andyman bought, at a price available to YOU, would be more then a swap. Not saying there's a problem with that. Also, the D17 is going to max out WAYYYYYYYY before an k series does. It's just a fact of life.
agree...

you can only max out a d17 motor in your car so much before it tops out..

heres an example.. you can get a k20a2 (STOCK) boosted with 12lbs and already be getting 300hp+ of power to the wheels and still be daily driven

you can also take a STOCK k24 block and put on a k20 head on it and boost it around 12lbs or so and guess what.. you'll be pushing 400hp+ of power to the wheels...

now take this scenario.. STOCK for STOCK... your starting HP for a D17 is around 110hp.. give or take a few depends on which motor you have..

a stock K20a2 put out 200hp give or take a few... the swap alone gives you 100hp more into your car and its STOCK... put on some headers.. intake.. kpro and tune it and you could push closer to 220hp or so... and thats ALL MOTOR...

for a D17 to even push the same amount of power a k20 does you need to boost it.. if you want to push anymore power out of the little D17 motors in our cars your gonna have to fully build it so it can handle the higher boost.. and in the process you might even loose the ability to daily drive it..

just some FYI and something for you to think about