Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

how well does the aem ems work with k20's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
how well does the aem ems work with k20's?

i noticed that the few boosted d17 guys using the aem ems 30-1030U have nothing but great things to say about it. but the 30-1030U is listed on dezods site to be compatible to k20a2 and a3 motors. I never really know what im going to do with my car, but if i were to invest in an ems, i think it would be a nice plus to have one that would be compatible with a potential future motor. (it would kinda make it feel like less of a waste of money) opinions? how does the aem ems do compared to the wonderful k-pro?
Old 08-10-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah dude get one, as long as you have someone who can tune it it would work out great. These computers are sick no doubt. If you were sure about the k20 if may be cheaper to go the k-pro route though. We were thinking about trying my EMS on my stock RSX Type-s to see if we could find some power somewhere, lol.
Old 08-10-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
The K Pro is definitely cheaper. But, I personally like the AEM, its a great system. I am sure it would work as well on a k20 as it does the d17. Its funny you mention this because if I ever get to a point where I decide that I want to swap a k series, I will already have the standalone for it.
Old 08-10-2006
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
EMS is **** but like said most K guys go with Hondata
Old 08-10-2006

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i know most k guys go with the hondata. I just want to make sure that if i decided to get the aem ems, that id be getting my moneys worth. im not sure that i'll go with a k20, but sometimes i tinker around with the idea of a s/c'ed k20a3. it's just nice to know that i'd have a nice computer capable of working with it all.
Old 08-10-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
i think im going to have to get AEM EMS or motec's ecus. kpro can't really handle the power up top. Kpro is a really easy direct swap for basic Engine set ups. but when you go over 600+ you need something with more options
Old 08-10-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
the best option for a K series is hondata kpro although there are select few running the AEM EMS as for tuning and capability they almost give the same options but I do not mean that word for word its just all in what you want to do with your carn/engine
Old 08-10-2006
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by eye_see_you
the best option for a K series is hondata kpro although there are select few running the AEM EMS as for tuning and capability they almost give the same options but I do not mean that word for word its just all in what you want to do with your carn/engine
Yeah after talking with andyman and seeing how it works i would say its about the same! The only thing i might not like is i heard that the aem ems actually will loose its memory if the battery goes dead? anyone know if thats true?
Old 08-10-2006

^i really doubt that a $1300 standalone unit isnt equiped with some type of non-volatile memory. Because I know i can unplug my $300 emanage and not worry about losing my maps.

you guys really sold me on this thing. Looks like i have something else to save up for...
Old 08-10-2006
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Does K-pro have a 2-step option or is that just the EMS?
Old 08-10-2006
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
aem doesnt lose its maps, ive unhooked the battery and they still are there
Old 08-10-2006
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by scansel912
Does K-pro have a 2-step option or is that just the EMS?
Yes it does
Old 08-10-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
I have completely unplugged and removed my AEM during the whole winter in case someone decided to try and swipe something from my car, I plugged it in and fired it right up. If I were spending the money, AEM all the way. You really can adapt almost anything to your setup.
Old 08-10-2006
Registered!!

DUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura aboutDUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura aboutDUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura about
Well only thing about AEM that i have herd on k20a.org is that if you use a AEM EMS on ur k series that u lose some stuff like cruse and there was someother thigns but i 4 got thats the main thing people were talking about.. but i guess that if AEM is an all around better ECU then for that small thing its not a big deal.
Old 08-10-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
The cruise isn't controlled by the AEM. There is an actual computer and a solenoid for it, they are independent of eachother.
Old 08-11-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
with the AEM, you splice wires, and you basicly run a 2 ecu set up. the ecu runs basic functions and the AEM ems runs the engine
Old 08-11-2006

yea, the oem ecu stays in for the multiplex functions like the immobilizer and such.
Old 08-11-2006
Turbo Guru

Well even the immobilizer is an independent computer. The ecu only provides juice to these other computers. Even someone who's running a 1070 without a stock ecu has all functions that a stock car would, except a/c and coolant temp gauge.

And you don't have to splice the wires, the ems comes with the adapter harness for the stock ecu to plug right in. No wiring necessary.
Old 08-13-2006
Registered!!

EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough
Kpro should NEVER be affected when you unplug anything, it reprograms the entire ECU. I would say that Kpro is way better for the simple reason that most tuners are better with kpro, and you can do anything you would ever want.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

kezay is an unknown quantity at this point
Well its been a while that I have posted here anyways I have had my built D17 running on the AEM EMS from the starting and it was a remarkable system for the D17, then I switched to the K series and I must say that the EMS is the real deal for the K series engine. I have only one complaint with the EMS for the K series and that is the fact that when starting, the engine has to make 2 complete reveloutions for the "stat sync" to turn on therefore the car takes about 1.5 seconds to start. Most people are using the KPro because it cost less and its a basic system for the K series, the K Pro's 2 step rev limiter also does not work very well with the K series engines. It also does not have traction control, automapping, being able to control each cylinder individually etc. There are lots of added features of running the EMS, however it cost more than KPro. Also the way the EMS is programed for the K series engines is also different to how KPro is setup e.g the cam angle maps in KPro is set at 0 degrees which increases to 50 degrees full advance. In the EMS it is the other way around eg. 50 degrees then increases to 0 degrees which is full advance. All in all I have not regretted getting the EMS, every last penny worth it.

Originally Posted by EMK20a2
Kpro should NEVER be affected when you unplug anything, it reprograms the entire ECU. I would say that Kpro is way better for the simple reason that most tuners are better with kpro, and you can do anything you would ever want.
If you have a "PRC" ecu from the JDM K20A that has been KPro'ed then you cannot control nitrous. The KPro is a basic system, remember you get what you pay for!!!!!!!

Last edited by kezay; 08-15-2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

I have the same deal with my d17 with the EMS, feels like forever when you start it. I wait till after my car starts beeping then crank it over. Otherwise it will crank a few times before firing off.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
you get some extra's for the money with AEM like kezay said. AEM's is a great option. Traction control? I never knew that. I could use some!
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kezay
If you have a "PRC" ecu from the JDM K20A that has been KPro'ed then you cannot control nitrous. The KPro is a basic system, remember you get what you pay for!!!!!!!
yes you can, you get the pins to wire the K20a2 for nitrous and if you wire the K20a the way that you are supose to you can use the same pins for the nitrous as well. Don't get me wrong the EMS is a nice system, but for the $ and the added complexity it is really not worth it unless you are running an extream built, boosted, or built and boosted system.
Old 08-23-2006

one last question...what is the pc interface of the ems? usb or serial? i can't seem to find that discussed anywhere..
Old 08-23-2006
Turbo Guru

It's serial. You can run a usb-serial adapter though, that's what I did.
Old 08-24-2006

and it really works? unlike the emanage...
Old 08-24-2006
Registered!!

kezay is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I am using it that way (usb-serial adapter) as well.
Old 08-24-2006
Turbo Guru

Yeah, it works, real time interface.